Car been around too long

Hi Guys,

Why do cars sit at dealerships for too long? Apart from being a lemon or over priced,what could it be? I have been after a car and I recently went thro the pics of the vehicle again and in one of the pics,saw people in the background wearing winter clothes which means that the vehicle has been sitting at the dealers since winter. Now im a lil worried,really liked the vehicle. If the mechanical insp comes fine,you reckon I can bargain lower?? Ta

Well what car is it?? There are some cars out there that just don't attract much interest as they're not what people are after. Using mine as an example, its an '06 Camry Sportivo in metallic gold and its a manual - not exactly many people's cup of tea. It was built in July 2006, not registered until April 2007 and I didn't purchase it until February 2009. During that time it sat at the dealer and was driven around sparingly by various staff (20,000km on when I bought it). Apart from it being involved in a minor accident (merely cosmetic, it was backed into a tree, and has subsequently been repaired properly) there is nothing wrong with the car mechanically, it just obviously wasn't the right car for anyone until I came along :)

If you're worried about a car that's sat there for a while do your homework, what is the resale value like, what do other people think of it. I'm assuming its a Toyota, hence you posting here. Take it for a test drive, and a thorough one, not just down the road and back again. And if you're still really keen then put a deposit on it subject to it passing a full mechanical inspection by a qualified mechanic.

And yes given that its been sitting there for a while the dealer may be willing to negotiate on price a bit more given they will want it off the lot. But they can always swap the car with another dealer too. As other members on here have already said go in there and name what you're willing to pay - let the dealer chase after you.

Why might a good car sit around for a long time in a dealership? Simple - supply greater than demand. Remember that 95% of Toyota models are hardly rare or unique and were sold by the thousands with little enthusiast interest, so there will always be orphans left sitting unloved in dealerships. That and the general quality and reliability of Toyotas means that the people most likely to buy a new Toyota (ie, a current Toyota driver) already have a reliable car and don't necessarily feel the need to upgrade.

Well what car is it?? There are some cars out there that just don't attract much interest as they're not what people are after. Using mine as an example, its an '06 Camry Sportivo in metallic gold and its a manual - not exactly many people's cup of tea. It was built in July 2006, not registered until April 2007 and I didn't purchase it until February 2009. During that time it sat at the dealer and was driven around sparingly by various staff (20,000km on when I bought it). Apart from it being involved in a minor accident (merely cosmetic, it was backed into a tree, and has subsequently been repaired properly) there is nothing wrong with the car mechanically, it just obviously wasn't the right car for anyone until I came along :)

If you're worried about a car that's sat there for a while do your homework, what is the resale value like, what do other people think of it. I'm assuming its a Toyota, hence you posting here. Take it for a test drive, and a thorough one, not just down the road and back again. And if you're still really keen then put a deposit on it subject to it passing a full mechanical inspection by a qualified mechanic.

And yes given that its been sitting there for a while the dealer may be willing to negotiate on price a bit more given they will want it off the lot. But they can always swap the car with another dealer too. As other members on here have already said go in there and name what you're willing to pay - let the dealer chase after you.

Its a rav4 sx6 2009.Ive already test driven it,the dealer asked for a 1k holding fee.I refused coz i dont want to run after him asking for a refund if the mechanical inspection doesnt come to my expectations.In a test drive I couldnt make out much but the inspection will reveal all.Like you said and the others,most people after a rav4 want a 4cyl,but im after the v6. Now toyota is doing some driveaway offers of 30k for Aurion AXT which I believe is a v6 and the touring is 32k driveaway.So if the dealer doesnt reduce the price substantially,then I will drop him. Just one ques- do you think prices will fall further in Mar or will they stop in feb? Depends on 2010 stocks? Ta

You may ask to be put in contact with the previous owner. There may be a specific unresolved problem wih a car that sits for a long time in a car yard.

I spoke to work associate who buys a new car every 18 months so he never has to spend anything repairing it. (I wish I had that sort of money to spare)

Just check in the log book for the previous owner details but make sure the chassis number matches the books.

You may ask to be put in contact with the previous owner. There may be a specific unresolved problem wih a car that sits for a long time in a car yard.

I spoke to work associate who buys a new car every 18 months so he never has to spend anything repairing it. (I wish I had that sort of money to spare)

Just check in the log book for the previous owner details but make sure the chassis number matches the books.

The dealer said it was driven by a toyota manager previously. :unsure: Anyway,I will put on hold car buying till feb is over.There might be a further reduction in price as it will be 1st quarter ending.Might as well buy a new car,especially since prices are being slashed. :whistling:

Smart move waiting for the end of quarter squeeze!

Cash talks - when a car sits the dealer can claim allowances from the manufacturer on occasion - and he needs the car to go more than you need the funds to leave your bank account.

The worst thing they can tell you is NO

Best of luck!

Smart move waiting for the end of quarter squeeze!

Cash talks - when a car sits the dealer can claim allowances from the manufacturer on occasion - and he needs the car to go more than you need the funds to leave your bank account.

The worst thing they can tell you is NO

Best of luck!

Ta mate,lets see how it goes!