CB (UHF) Radio Antenna

Auri 7

I'm interested to hear, where you guys have mounted your CB (UHF) antennas and how hard it was to cable them.

I'm probably looking for a low profile position like an induction glass antenna, but would like to hear about any other solutions as well.

Thanks !

Edited by Auri 7

I was recommended against the glass induction type due to losses.

I ended up going for a centre roof. People have said many times about leaks etc. but thats if it was installed with minimal care. Mine has been going > than a year now, no issues.

Most of the time around town I just use a stubby 3db antenna which is fine. Out of town I screw in a 6.? db antenna to get a better range.

I did look a several bracket type options but was not happy with any. Rear spoiler got in the road of the boot lip option.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Adrian

I was recommended against the glass induction type due to losses.

I ended up going for a centre roof. People have said many times about leaks etc. but thats if it was installed with minimal care. Mine has been going > than a year now, no issues.

Most of the time around town I just use a stubby 3db antenna which is fine. Out of town I screw in a 6.? db antenna to get a better range.

I did look a several bracket type options but was not happy with any. Rear spoiler got in the road of the boot lip option.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Adrian, yes, your post was quite helpful.

I have a dilemma with the "on-glass" type antenna, because of a metal tint I've aquired for all windows except the front one.

I've all but given up on the glass antenna idea, because the only 2 places I could mount them would be front top right or front top left windscreen corner, because of the central dotted area and washer sensors etc. in the middle.

I also had a look at the "see-through" inside stick-on antennas, but the small one is too weak and the larger one too big for the front screen, and I guess illegal.

A bracket doesn't do it for me either, so I'm still undecided.

I'll look into the centre roof option next, I hadn't even considered this. I dread having a hole in there, but it would present the best reception, of course.

Which pillar did they push the cable down ? (I guess, the centre one ?) I wonder, how hard it might be to undo roof and pillar linings.

Thanks again for your post !

Edited by Auri 7

Yes, I dreaded the hole in the roof too but it has worked out. I would never put a heavy antenna there as there is a little bit of roof flex that happens.

Cable is in the drivers pillar.

I bought a GME (forget the model) but the one with all the buttons on the hand set, thus I hide the main unit (being rather small) inside the centre console near the drivers left foot so only the handset and an external speaker comes out. External speaker is hidden under drivers instruments and heandset resets in the "wallet" slot or what ever you call it near you left knee.

You can get to the antenna/cable connection by removing the interior light.