daytime running light: options

tekkyy

Besides the look-at-me daytime running LED lights on Audi, Merc and HSV...

I am also seeing more cars on the road using parking lights as daytime running lights.

That would be a pretty cheap option wouldn't it?

However RTA website does say parking lights are not effective.

Could turn parking lights on manually but our dash indicators doesn't differentiate between parking lights and low beam. And why waste the auto headlights and downgrade our Aurion.

Scope and budget is yet to be decided so...

Q1 If wiring change is all too much who has found a small plastic cap good for tricking the light sensor?

Thought that does turn on the red tail lights which is probably bad.

Q2 Whats involved in wiring change to power the front parking lights (or new LED strip) whenever low beam is off?

Q3 Whats involved in wiring change to power the front parking lights (or new LED strips) whenever low beam is off and light switch is on auto?

Q4 Any recommendations for complete kits that adds LEDs and includes control box to

*turn on when headlights are off

*dim that side when using the turning indicator (if in headlight mold)

*provide manual override

Q5 Any recommendation for a Sydney aftermarket installer? Is $300 enough or am I dreaming? (Add LED to room near fog lights? Add to headlight mold like IS250?)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here exactly. I'm inclined to assume you're considering driving around with your park lights on. At which point why not just switch your lights to 'park' and your fogs to 'off'?

there is some kits available on ebay with are a similer fashion to VW, Audi Merc HSV but arent quite as in your face becuase there only 6 LED instead of 12 or more, i bit the bullet and got a kit just for Giggles will post up some images when it arives.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here exactly. I'm inclined to assume you're considering driving around with your park lights on. At which point why not just switch your lights to 'park' and your fogs to 'off'?

I think he probably wants the front parkers to come on, and at the same time, NOT have the tail lights come on.

To provide input on the original question, if you want to change the way the AUTO headlight function operates, you are going to have to work on it after the ECU. Basically, depending on exactly how you want it to operate will determine exactly which route you will have to take. There are quite a few variations mentioned here so it will be pointless of me writing down what you need to do unless you have made up your mind. All options are possible and will involve modifying the stock wiring one way or another, so if you are already at that point, you may as well make it how you want it to be.

not to lose Aurion's auto headlight function, for this I could go with the approach at Q1

there is some kits available on ebay with are a similer fashion to VW, Audi Merc HSV but arent quite as in your face becuase there only 6 LED instead of 12 or more, i bit the bullet and got a kit just for Giggles will post up some images when it arives.

would be nice to see images of wiring too

All options are possible and will involve modifying the stock wiring one way or another, so if you are already at that point, you may as well make it how you want it to be.

yeah I guess, not much difference between installing one relay and three relays

can I get some advice on approach Q3 thanks

so where is the computer that controls the headlights? how many wires goes towards he headlights?

I didn't see it in the FAQ index, do we have this information on the forum somewhere?

so where is the computer that controls the headlights? how many wires goes towards he headlights?

It's all controlled by the Body ECU which is part of the fuse and relay panel behind the glovebox. This then goes to the relay and fuse panel in the engine bay, and from there it goes to the lights.

If you were going to do option 3, you would have to splice some wires all over the place. In all honesty, there will be a moderate amount of effort involved to get it working that way. When I get some time, I can tell you what needs to be splices and where you need to add come diodes etc.

I didn't see it in the FAQ index, do we have this information on the forum somewhere?

Hey mate check out Rstyle.....i think they sell the complete fog light with LED strip on top....looks pretty nice....but they only have it for series 2 aurion (09 - upward) front bumper......i m trying to locate one with LED on the headlight ( like the AUDI) in Taiwan.

It's all controlled by the Body ECU which is part of the fuse and relay panel behind the glovebox. This then goes to the relay and fuse panel in the engine bay, and from there it goes to the lights.

If you were going to do option 3, you would have to splice some wires all over the place. In all honesty, there will be a moderate amount of effort involved to get it working that way. When I get some time, I can tell you what needs to be splices and where you need to add come diodes etc.

how about I just have parkers turn on with engine

this makes it much simpler right?

like put in a parallel circuit to turn on the parkers

I'll have a better idea one I know what signals are being sent around

Hey mate check out Rstyle.....i think they sell the complete fog light with LED strip on top....looks pretty nice....but they only have it for series 2 aurion (09 - upward) front bumper......i m trying to locate one with LED on the headlight ( like the AUDI) in Taiwan.

fog+led, yeah I saw that too

http://www.rstyleracing.com/index.aspx?ProductID=Product-110128184679169

headlight+led

yeah DJKOR said headlights are the same dimensions

but would you get it if it was really simple and doesn't dim with turning indicator or doesn't turn off when headlights are on?

hope you have better luck than i did on those headlights.. only one i found that acctually replied my enquiry was MARS performance, and TBH the aurion option they showed me (which they dont have on their website anymore) looked like complete p0o.. :(

hope you have better luck than i did on those headlights.. only one i found that acctually replied my enquiry was MARS performance, and TBH the aurion option they showed me (which they dont have on their website anymore) looked like complete p0o.. :(

i go to thailand quite often cause my other half is thai so its easy for me .......but your're right there's doggy stuff in thailand........there's good aurion aftermarket in malay and indo .......they're go crazy with the aurion in indo......

I seen a nice set up on a ford the other day it appeared to be around the lower half of the headlights but i was driving and he was going the other way. Could have been behind headlight protectors or inside but definatly not oem.

• 1 month later...

I took a photo of the fuse box in the engine bay.

How do I do to turn the parkers on permanently?

If you want to turn your parkers on permanently you need to work on the inner junction box that is behind the glove box... not the one in the engine bay. Your focus will be on the rear side of the junction box (ie. the side facing the firewall). You need to ground the trigger relay for the tail lights which is pin 4 of the connector as circled below. This will turn on everything that would usually turn on when you turn your headlight switch one click on:

di-113030410545.jpg

di-413030411762.jpg

This is the product you need for your DRL.

http://www.led-drl.co.uk/daylight/

It will solve all your wiring connection problems.

The DRL will on as soon as the ignition is on and when turn itself off when the low beam is on.

Very easy to install and you can buy this from ebay which is much cheaper than the retail shops.

Besides the look-at-me daytime running LED lights on Audi, Merc and HSV...

I am also seeing more cars on the road using parking lights as daytime running lights.

That would be a pretty cheap option wouldn't it?

However RTA website does say parking lights are not effective.

Could turn parking lights on manually but our dash indicators doesn't differentiate between parking lights and low beam. And why waste the auto headlights and downgrade our Aurion.

Scope and budget is yet to be decided so...

Q1 If wiring change is all too much who has found a small plastic cap good for tricking the light sensor?

Thought that does turn on the red tail lights which is probably bad.

Q2 Whats involved in wiring change to power the front parking lights (or new LED strip) whenever low beam is off?

Q3 Whats involved in wiring change to power the front parking lights (or new LED strips) whenever low beam is off and light switch is on auto?

Q4 Any recommendations for complete kits that adds LEDs and includes control box to

*turn on when headlights are off

*dim that side when using the turning indicator (if in headlight mold)

*provide manual override

Q5 Any recommendation for a Sydney aftermarket installer? Is $300 enough or am I dreaming? (Add LED to room near fog lights? Add to headlight mold like IS250?)

Very easy to install and you can buy this from ebay which is much cheaper than the retail shops.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

At $1760 for the Daylight 4 kit and $2590 for the Daylight 8 kit... what planet are you from?

Hey mate!

I don't know where you get those figures from? May be from another planet.

Have a look at this around $180 incl postage after converting to AUD.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PHILIPS-LED-DAYLIGHT-4-DAYTIME-STRIP-LED-LIGHT-12V-/110670883436?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c47faa6c

I have done some many researches on this DRL, in my opinion this is the best & easy to install DRL kit in the market and yet still affordable.

Have a look at Autobarn, i think sell this kit between AUD$250 to $400 if I am not wrong.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

At $1760 for the Daylight 4 kit and $2590 for the Daylight 8 kit... what planet are you from?

I don't know where you get those figures from? May be from another planet.

Have a look at this around $180 incl postage after converting to AUD.

Well this guy must have some epic markup then:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PHILIPS-UNIVERSAL-DRL-RUNNING-12V-LED-DAYLIGHT-8-/110666293103?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c4399f6f

On my relatives Camry Hybrid, the high beams are run at half power as DRLs (Required in Canada and some parts of the US. Most manufacturer have them as standard, but can be disabled.). Not sure what's involved (Not that good with the technical side of things.), but I guess you could ask the US Toyota forums. Bright, not blinding like high beams running on full power. That's another option, but I'm not sure if this is legal or illegal down under. On some cars there, the front turn indicators are also used as parking lights, & DRLs (This is probably illegal here, as I don't see Aussie-spec Chryslers/ Dodges with this.).

Option 2: Turn on parking lights/ low beams manually. It's free, though that means having your taillights on. (Yes, me a cheapskate. :P )

Edited by ToyotaFreak

lol this reminds me to stop being lazy and actually go get the ones my mate sorted out for me :yahoo: where does all the time in a day go? :huh:

This will turn on everything that would usually turn on when you turn your headlight switch one click on:

Nice. Now is it possible to isolate the front parkers and power just that?

Where does it split up and power the front parker, rear parker, etc?

I bought this before from ebay as well for my DRL but after 6 months I removed it from my car.

The quality & brightness of this LED is not really that good.

Chrome color started to peel off from the plastic cover and is not bright enough for daytime use.

Not a good investment for long term in my opinion.

got these off ebay, thought i was getting one pair, but got 2 pair for $14.58 bargain. going to fit them in the bottom grill.

Nice. Now is it possible to isolate the front parkers and power just that?

Where does it split up and power the front parker, rear parker, etc?

Oh boy, now you are really starting to get detailed here. I should establish a consultation fee from now on :P

Note that both options are fused by the ACC fuse which is responsible for your power outlet. This means that whatever power consumption your parkers + DRL has, you must subtract this from 120W available from the power outlets combined. If using LED's for both the parkers and the DRL, then the power draw won't be much anyway. Should the ACC fuse, your DRL + parker combination will not operate, however your parkers will still function as normal though if your use the headlight switch on the steering column.

The first option is all automatic and is on all the time. The second option however can be enabled or disabled accordingly. In option 2, if you don't want to rely on the ACC fuse, instead of connecting to 12(IO), you can connect to an alternative fused +12v source. The diodes are essential, as is connecting the external power on the right side, so as to not cause your tail lights to turn on at the same time. If you plan on running more than 12W per side, you can use '1N5404' diodes which will give you up to 36W per side which is more than enough. I wouldn't run more than 12W though personally.

Option 1:

di-1013034440739.jpg

Option 2:

parker1e.jpg