High Speed

Last nite i had the pleasure to take on a pug 206 GTI, new model shape. Those cars are very quick, plenty of midrange torque, but once the rolla got into lift, i was reeling him in like a fish. He flew past me on a long stretch of road (must have seen my TRD badge :D ), so i dropped it a couple (3) gears, hit lift, caught up, bang 4th, topped it out in 4th at which stage he was behind me. I just put it in 5th when i saw the roundabout ahead, and at that speed it comes quick at you, i was like ohhhhhh S***, i applied brake pressure, not full on just maybe half, and the tail started to fish out, i grabed on the wheel, held on tight, entered the roundabout at around 100kph, heavy on brakes, abs kicked in and i was able to glide through. For a sec i thought the ***** end was gona let go, but managed to keep her in line even though i took over two driving lanes. Scary stuff. The point im trying to make is that the stivo, at high speed breaking is not very stable, maybe due to its road clearance, or the weight balance where the rear end is fairly light, however beware when breaking from high (160+) speeds it's not a comfy ride, it requires full concentration and a bit of skill. I guess i was just lucky i scaped through unscaved. I gotta keep outa lift, Seriously <_<

You guys got my heart racing a bit there, hope i never end up in those sort of situations.. But good on ya for showing the Pug Gti what Corolla Sportivos are made of :lol: I am still waiting to take on someone on the streets, would love to try take on an Integra-R although i know i would probably lose :( Should be close though.

Zee

Yep same deal...usually downhill, under braking, along really twisty bits like coming down the hills into yarra glen..... the back end stops giving feedback and loses all feel, I'm convinced it's lifting a wheel and momentarily losing contact with the road.

It's not just scary, common sense says to back off and drive like nanna...

had trouble keeping up (safely) with a fast local driving a V6 4wd Hi-Lux downhill..

Anyone know what the weight ratio is on the 'rolla...it's driving like it's 60/40..!!

Needs a stiff anti-roll bar on the back I reckon.

On the first week of owning the car i realised the stock suspension setup was inadequate for anything but "drop your kids to school" driving.

I can't remember who it was that put the tower brace but i'm wondering if it makes a difference.

Has anyone tried thicker swaybars at the front. I've been told that it's not a good idea to put too thick a sway bars on a car that has minimal weight balance to the rear as you will get oversteer.

You naughty boy ... and after our chat in the weekend....tut tut.

:D :D I know man, but the temptation was too great, i mean you dont get a Pug wanting to race every night. I was just lucky this time ;), so all the B******* aside i hope you guys take note that this car gets lively under heavy breaking, which is why i put this topic up, you can get caught out very easily.

Just wondering what electronic brake force distribution does.

I was on my way home from work yesterday in the backstreets of Chester hill. there is this stree that comes just over a bridge that you are not suppose to turn right into...since it's the only way home from that area that doesn't require me to go through the main streets, i always turn there. anyway, i apply the brakes to turn right and all of a sudden i feel the brakes having no affect, so i push harder on the brakes and try to rate the wheel a little more to make the turn. then the ABS starts fighting me.

It never felt dangerous but sudden brake response took me by surprise. I think maybe the ABS was confused or something :lol:

When i first applied the brakes they didn't grab like they usually do and then ABS kicked it. Weird! <_<

Just wondering what electronic brake force distribution does.

I was on my way home from work yesterday in the backstreets of Chester hill. there is this stree that comes just over a bridge that you are not suppose to turn right into...since it's the only way home from that area that doesn't require me to go through the main streets, i always turn there. anyway, i apply the brakes to turn right and all of a sudden i feel the brakes having no affect, so i push harder on the brakes and try to rate the wheel a little more to make the turn. then the ABS starts fighting me.

It never felt dangerous but sudden brake response took me by surprise. I think maybe the ABS was confused or something :lol:

When i first applied the brakes they didn't grab like they usually do and then ABS kicked it. Weird! <_<

I guess your brakes were probably either wet or cold and when that happens the abs kicks in earlier. As for EBD, (correct me if i'm wrong) i would say they distribute the brakeforce among the wheels to give more traction to each wheel and hence balances the car out in situations where the brakes are jumped on during tight cornering. Sounds familiar qkslvr?

Zee :lol:

would say they distribute the brakeforce among the wheels to give more traction to each wheel and hence balances the car out in situations where the brakes are jumped on during tight cornering. Sounds familiar qkslvr?

Zee 

Yeah, sounds like the stupid situation i was in yesterday :blink:

what is it with me and downhill turns. You may have read the post about the time i had "plow-understeer". :(

I've read reviews that say our stivos have brakes and engines that are way to powerfull for the chassis. I think the overall package is pretty good. the only let down is the suspension but for almost 10k less than Astra turbo and oodles cheaper than a Civic Type-R, i can't complain at all :P

chasing a swift gti on the m4.

traffic came up real quick and i had to break and downshift pretty hard.

the back end stepped out and i had my front right wheel on the inner solid white line and had the left rear wheel on the broken left white line...

i just eased of slowly..corrected and went around the traffic.

feels like you're about to enter a drift. :lol: :D :lol: :D

;)