How do you remove deep stone chips and interior plastic scratches?

wushoes

Yesterday I went to South Melbourne Toyota and put a deposit down on a 2008 Aurion Sportivo SX6 that is subject to a mechanical check by RACV.

I bargained them down by a good 2.5k from their asking price because of a few issues with the vehicle (cosmetic interior and exterior) but otherwise in pretty good shape. Gave it a pretty thorough test drive, no dash rattle or steering problem that I have been reading about on this forum.

I would like to ask about everyone's thoughts on the following:

Picture 1: scuffing of rear door. Will this easily buff out?

post-23599-0-78531400-1301799666_thumb.j

Picture 2: rear door, vinyl tear/hole. Toyota say this will cost around $150 to fix, will they re-vinyl the door or patch it up some how?

post-23599-0-72138500-1301799685_thumb.j

Picture 3: stone chips on the bonnet that are pretty deep. Will it need to be sand blasted clean and re-sprayed? How much do you think it will cost to re-paint?

post-23599-0-19076900-1301799697_thumb.j

Edited by wushoes

Buy the car cheaper! go to hertz Hire an aurion and swap the interior :P hahahahahahaha

Sorry for the immature reply couldn't help it, I know someone who does this :P :yahoo:

Edited by N3ptuNe

Buy the car cheaper! go to hertz Hire an aurion and swap the interior :P hahahahahahaha

Sorry for the immature reply couldn't help it, I know someone who does this :P :yahoo:

That's like the suggestion someone gave me about hiring a similar car and swapping the wheels so you get new tires.

* I do not condone doing this however.

That's like the suggestion someone gave me about hiring a similar car and swapping the wheels so you get new tires.

* I do not condone doing this however.

Hahaha. The interior I'm so worried about because the damage is at the back and I never sit at the back of the car as I always drive.

I'm more concerned about removing stone chips and off scratches here and there. On the bonnet there are a few deep stone chips which go all the way through. Should I get it stripped back and resprayed? It's "tungsten" colour, would this be a hard colour to match and should I be concerned about the colour not matching the rest of the vehicle if I go down this route? I work right next door to a panel beater and spray shop and know the owner well so I should be able to get the job done cheaper than going elsewhere. Just want to get some thoughts here, then I'll check with my panel beater mate when I go to work mid week.

Well, If it helps, I have a few stone chips on my Front bar and bonnet, although i'm not to fussed because it's one of thos things that just happens when you travel to work and in rural areas.

I got a quote from an expert in colour matching, $650 front bar, quarters and bonnet. Beware!!!! alot/most auto body repairers cannot match 100% and you will note a slight tone difference in the right light!

Hahaha. The interior I'm so worried about because the damage is at the back and I never sit at the back of the car as I always drive.

I'm more concerned about removing stone chips and off scratches here and there. On the bonnet there are a few deep stone chips which go all the way through. Should I get it stripped back and resprayed? It's "tungsten" colour, would this be a hard colour to match and should I be concerned about the colour not matching the rest of the vehicle if I go down this route? I work right next door to a panel beater and spray shop and know the owner well so I should be able to get the job done cheaper than going elsewhere. Just want to get some thoughts here, then I'll check with my panel beater mate when I go to work mid week.

I have the same problems with you in fact worse than you.

My bonnet and front bumper got stone chips everywhere.

I am interested to see how much panel beater mate quote you for respraying the bonnet.

Easy fix , just buy my ZR6 instead... lol - i jest.

they only way to fix the paint properly is repaint , pity it is a rear door trim , i know where theres a couple of drivers door trims for cheap.

edit. left one word out of the first sentence "MY" ZR6.... :whistling:

Easy fix , just buy ZR6 instead... lol - i jest.

they only way to fix the paint properly is repaint , pity it is a rear door trim , i know where theres a couple of drivers door trims for cheap.

hahaha yer....maybe I should blow off the sale and get a zr6 ;)

I rang my mate who owns the panel beater place. He said he can't really tell without looking at it but because the tungsten is a metallic paint he will need to blend in the guards as well. So a sand back, spray and blend will usually cost around $800.00 but will do it cheaper. :(

Easy fix , just buy ZR6 instead... lol - i jest.

hahaha yer....maybe I should blow off the sale and get a zr6 ;)

I rang my mate who owns the panel beater place. He said he can't really tell without looking at it but because the tungsten is a metallic paint he will need to blend in the guards as well. So a sand back, spray and blend will usually cost around $800.00 but will do it cheaper. :(

I'm getting the front hood and rear done for $777 its even an authorised NRMA body shop! :-)

Includes: Sanding, Prime, PPG Paint, Colour Matching, Colour Blending.

As for the vinyl repair check with the panel beater as they use people to repair it all the time. I did the same and have 4 jobs done and only cost me 80 bucks. Cash job. As for the chips repaint time

• 3 weeks later...

Now to stop the stone chips from coming back, put some special plastic adhesive on the bonnet. You can get this done by professionals.