05 Sportivo Dreams...

Hey All,

Just wondering if any of you would be able to give me a *rough* idea as to cost including installation for the following mods.

I have owned the Sportivo since new, but it has been under lease - which ends at the end of this year. I am thinking of taking out a loan to pay it out plus some extra money set aside to do some mods.

Note that the car currently has 145000kms on it, gets used every day to/from work, plus some occasional dirt / off road driving / puddles. I'm not really thinking about any track work or posting quarter mile times - well not at this stage anyway...

Here's what I have in mind:

CES Cold Air intake - What type of filter should I get?

CES Catback Exhaust - Should I look at replacing the cat converter at the same time?

Some sort of suspension mods - I would like to drop it a bit, but don't want to lose too much ride comfort for the missus. Plus I have to drive over a number of speed bumps around work :angry:

New clutch / flywheel - what would you suggest? Possibly look at replacing 6th gear with one from a Celica (gotta try & reduce cost on fuel now that I'll be paying for it hehe)

Cheers

Tim

Ces are apparently good but that pricing is a rip off I did a full exhaust system with headers for 1000 bux

Thats exactly it! i could not ever justify paying that sort of cash for only a catback system , you could have a decent system built and get your cash worth as you sound like you have with headers and the system aswell.

The CAI from CES is 512 if you get the one with the ceramic coating, and maybe other stuff, i believe there is a basic CAI from CES but im not to sure on that. But if there was, it'd be a lot cheaper without the ceramic coating.

i had a ces exhaust on my sportivo

I had a dyno graph to prove gains from the system

i had a noise report to provide to police that it was under 90db at 5200rpm

And when i sold my car, everyone knows the ces is the best, so i got top dollar for it

Up to you

I would recommend the trd intake over the ces, the ces produces more power up high, but the trd is punchier down low

whitestivo

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Please don't turn this into another CES vs ..... thread. Although I am willing to listen to other people's opinions on their own personal experiences e.g.

i had a ces exhaust on my sportivo

I had a dyno graph to prove gains from the system

i had a noise report to provide to police that it was under 90db at 5200rpm

And when i sold my car, everyone knows the ces is the best, so i got top dollar for it

Up to you

I would recommend the trd intake over the ces, the ces produces more power up high, but the trd is punchier down low

whitestivo

^^This. Thanks for suggesting the TRD intake. As you would know - the Sportivo really lags at low rev ranges therefore if I can get some extra acceleration down low, that would be handy. I guess the reason I was looking at the CES CAI was so that they could do both the exhaust & intake at the same time. Also much easier to only have to deal with 1 supplier if something was to go wrong...

Now to suspension - I'm thinking King "12/01-4/07 COROLLA ZZE122 A KTFL-105 A KTRL-106 KTRS-106" - copied from their catalog. But I am happy to hear other suggestions. Also if I have the ride height reduced, what will that do to my shocks? The shocks have been in since I bought the car - should I look at replacing those at the same time?

Since you mentioned "Sportivo really lags at low rev ranges therefore if I can get some extra acceleration down low, that would be handy...", I must recommend a short ram intake (K&N, APEX'i), I've got the APEX'i Power Intake which is terrific. Makes an awesome noise and if I remember correctly, costed under $300 delivered from Japan. Intakes can be installed at home with a small range of tools. I too have a dyno sheet proving the power/torque gains against another Stivo with TRD intake. It's quite obvious that the TRD makes a higher peak power while APEX'i provides a better mid range.

With the suspension, King Lows are 35mm drop which means that you can still clear most of the slopes in Sydney :whistling: . Ride is quite comfortable with improved cornering. I've got a set sitting at home so if you are interested, let me know.

My 2 cents.

hi mate... just wondering if your clutch is beginning to cark it? cuz mine did at 120,000kms :P

anyways. if u want better acceleration all across the rev range. when ur clutch goes out i suggest you get the lightened flywheel with the new clutch too. it may be abit hard to drive at first but u will see the benefits when u drive it hard. ive driven a sportivo with the ces inside and there is a minute difference between the two. the pod is the most important item (as long as u dont have a crappy cai)

lol @ kenshin my car's clutch karked it at same time as yours lool, Well yeah the sportivo's are very lagy at low rev range, but if you do a full exhaust system, with a CAI new clutch lightened flywheel like ive done used same flywheel and clutch as kenshin did.

when people drive my sportivo when its not in lift they say it just feels like it wants go, as soon as lift opens up they freak out all this power from a little 1.8L rolla.

Wasnt turning it into a CES vs others topic, was just stating the fact CES are one of the best and they are pricy i went to one of the best in sydney Hurricane Exhaust *Liverpool Exhaust* and i got my full system with hurricane headers which go 4 to 1 for $1050 to be exact but knowing the guy i got it a little cheaper but im guesing it shouldnt be no more then $1200 from them guys, and they are supposedly to be "pricy" when i tell people how much i pay for my exhaust they freak, like its to much i dont really see it that way because i got what i wanted out of it *performance* even if ces are the best 1000 dollars for a catback system you can do it, but i bet, A full exhaust system from most professional places that are known for good jobs will provide more performance.

And for suspension King Spring Superlows are perfect and legal height in NSW

"...i got my full system with hurricane headers which go 4 to 1..."

I wasn't aware that Hurricane produced a header that fits in to the Sportivo.

Here is the Hurricane Link.

They do make one for the 1ZZ-FE Corollas, otherwise, I would have gone with the Hurricane instead of port/polishing my stock header.

EDIT: Unless of course it's a custom 1ZZ header on your 2ZZ. :toast:

Edited by King Young

I had a tech night at CES last night, they do impressive work, you will not believe the cars getting around with their exhausts on them...

That said, they are pricey, i agree, but the work they do, when you look at a system, it's pretty impressive

i personally would get the trd cai (or SRI possibly) first

Then i would get some lighter wheels

Then i'd be looking at an exhaust

whitestivo

Since you mentioned "Sportivo really lags at low rev ranges therefore if I can get some extra acceleration down low, that would be handy...", I must recommend a short ram intake (K&N, APEX'i), I've got the APEX'i Power Intake which is terrific. Makes an awesome noise and if I remember correctly, costed under $300 delivered from Japan. Intakes can be installed at home with a small range of tools. I too have a dyno sheet proving the power/torque gains against another Stivo with TRD intake. It's quite obvious that the TRD makes a higher peak power while APEX'i provides a better mid range.

With the suspension, King Lows are 35mm drop which means that you can still clear most of the slopes in Sydney :whistling: . Ride is quite comfortable with improved cornering. I've got a set sitting at home so if you are interested, let me know.

My 2 cents.

Hey Mate,

I might check the SRI option out. Moreso based upon the fact that I occasionally drive off-road & though big puddles. I gather that water & dust would be the enemy of a CAI since it breathes from down near the foggies right? Obviously I want to avoid any engine damage / extra wear & tear.

If the King Springs are still available at the end of the year / early next year when I sort the car out I'll be in touch :)

hi mate... just wondering if your clutch is beginning to cark it? cuz mine did at 120,000kms :P

anyways. if u want better acceleration all across the rev range. when ur clutch goes out i suggest you get the lightened flywheel with the new clutch too. it may be abit hard to drive at first but u will see the benefits when u drive it hard. ive driven a sportivo with the ces inside and there is a minute difference between the two. the pod is the most important item (as long as u dont have a crappy cai)

Look, I'm *really* suprised that it still seems to be ok. I'll admit, I'm not the smoothest gear changer & occasionally ride the clutch, plus it gets driven pretty hard. I also taught an ex girlfriend how to drive a manual in it *picture burning smell*...

So yeah, by the time the end of the year rolls around, the car will have ~165000kms on the clock (fingers crossed it lasts until then :unsure: I'll definitley be looking at a new clutch (what do you guys recommend?) and a flywheel (also what do you guys recommend?) Would it be wise to have the gearbox overhauled at the same time if I go for the Celica 6th gear? Any idea what I would roughly be looking at for a clutch, flywheel, Celica 6th gear & gearbox overhaul? I guess labour would be a pretty large component yeah?

Wasnt turning it into a CES vs others topic, was just stating the fact CES are one of the best and they are pricy i went to one of the best in sydney Hurricane Exhaust *Liverpool Exhaust* and i got my full system with hurricane headers which go 4 to 1 for $1050 to be exact but knowing the guy i got it a little cheaper but im guesing it shouldnt be no more then $1200 from them guys, and they are supposedly to be "pricy" when i tell people how much i pay for my exhaust they freak, like its to much i dont really see it that way because i got what i wanted out of it *performance* even if ces are the best 1000 dollars for a catback system you can do it, but i bet, A full exhaust system from most professional places that are known for good jobs will provide more performance.

And for suspension King Spring Superlows are perfect and legal height in NSW

No probs mate, I would like to go for a full system, but figure I can leave the manifold for further down the track. Do you have the King Super Low on your car? What is the ride like compared to stock? Will having Superlows wear out your shockies quicker than King standard lows?

I had a tech night at CES last night, they do impressive work, you will not believe the cars getting around with their exhausts on them...

That said, they are pricey, i agree, but the work they do, when you look at a system, it's pretty impressive

i personally would get the trd cai (or SRI possibly) first

Then i would get some lighter wheels

Then i'd be looking at an exhaust

whitestivo

I don't mind paying that bit extra for quality - I would rather invest in a system that not only goes well, but lasts too.

Unfortunately wheels will be last on the list as there is nothing wrong with the stockies & I am yet to find a pair of rims that I think looks good on a blue Sportivo.

"...i got my full system with hurricane headers which go 4 to 1..."

I wasn't aware that Hurricane produced a header that fits in to the Sportivo.

Here is the OROLLA&txt5=4%20CYL&lvl1=1&lvl2=5&lvl3=29&lvl4=169&lvl5=1694'>Hurricane Link.

Nah they make for the sportivo he reacons took him 2 years to master he owned two of them he loves sportivos t

he reasons headers are hard to mAke considering our engines move but yeh he makes them

They do make one for the 1ZZ-FE Corollas, otherwise, I would have gone with the Hurricane instead of port/polishing my stock header.

EDIT: Unless of course it's a custom 1ZZ header on your 2ZZ. :toast:

No, the owner is a freind of mine and he owned 2 sportivo's himself, he reacons took him 2 years to master, them considering the 2zzge engines when lift engages the engine lifts slightly he said when he use to do it the manifold just kept snaping, and he mastered it now so he can put headers and a exhaust system without a problem mine due, my exhaust and headers have increased my performance by alot sound is a bit noisy, but yeah thats just my two cents.

whitestivo

Totally agree with white stivo, people are hunting them down.

I bought a second hand ces exhaust and am happy with its performance (considering the engine is already doing over 100hp per litre). Its not much performance for your money but if you wanted high gains for cheap and use it as a daily then you bought the wrong car. Ces exhaust is also not ridiculously loud either which makes it great for 60 to 80km cruising. It also provides power increase through almost the entire rev range. From my understanding most exhausts don’t do that unless its for a forced induction engine.

If i was buying brand new i would get the stainless steel option over mild steel, Mild steel doesn’t last and wont hold its value as well compared to stainless steel when it comes to selling it on second hand.

I wouldn’t bother with the cat either.

Regards

Dave

P.S dont underestimate the effect light weight wheels can have. The sportivo wheels weigh almost 10kg and there a tiny 16x6 rim i went to a 17x7 which is 6.5kg and the handling/performance improvement was very noticeable. If you wanted ultimate performance you could go 15x6.5 / 7inch in enkei rpf1 i think there about 4.5kg from memory.. 5.5kg might not sound like much but in terms of wheel weight its massive !

Edited by 2zz corolla