CLUTCH!!

i need a new clutch as mines worn out!! what would you guys recommend? i wanted an exedy h/d clutch but the shop said to go for a standard one as when u use h/d stuff it starts wearing out other parts? i dont know what to do. i can get an exedy h/d for 300 or get the "LUK" clutch the shop reccomended fitted for 550.

shop dont know ****, many members here are using aftermarket clutch kits myself included with no probs at all, i ran an excedy kit in my 1zz-fe for almost 20,000km before i sold it few weeks back and never had a single issue, btw i dont drive like a granny either.

you should be able to get the Exedy HD fitted for $550. The LUK brand would cost the shop less than $150... PBR clutch kits for corolla's can be purchased from repco for $195 full retail, so you can imaging what the trade price is...

workshop labour is usually $80 an hour, it's a 4 hour job if you work slow in a properly equipped workshop with trans jack, engine brace etc, so that's $320 labour.

exedy HD kits are under $200 trade price and up to $500 "joe off the street" price, $20 to machine flywheel, $30 for gearbox oil.

so that's under $600 for the work.

Toyota had a special clutch deal on years ago where I had a standard clutch replaced in my corolla for $316 all up at Southside Toyota in Brisbane, so that's an indication of the price it's possible to get it done for.

I spoke to a guy at northen brake and clutch located near the North Melbourne Station.....or for all you single guys near "Images" :P (look for the red light above the door).

They have two types for our sportivo...a stock replacement or a heavy duty.

The stock replacement Exedy brand is $550 fitted while the heavy duty is $650...the difference is that the heavy dudy engages faster that the stock replacement.

the difference is the heavy duty has a higher clamp pressure plate.  The two "exedy" clutches use the same clutch plates.

Ditto what Rollamods said. Go Exedy, reputation is better. I have seen PBR ones at Repco, looks crap in design.. wouldn't trust it.. The Exedy HD doesn't have that obvious "thump and lurk" in the stock clutch kit, but initially it was so hard to drive, stalled the car a few times myself. Maybe its my TOM's flywheel??

Edited by ZEEROLLA

the difference is the heavy duty has a higher clamp pressure plate.  The two "exedy" clutches use the same clutch plates.

Maybe its my TOM's flywheel??

Maybe its the crappy driver :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Maybe its my TOM's flywheel??

Maybe its the crappy driver :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

I wouldn't like to admit it Bill but after i got the new clutch kit, flywheel and new tyres i have lost a few street battles :P .. the 1-2 LIFT magic is gone.. temporarily i hope.. :( and then my runin with someone's towbar.. i think i should give up driving <_<