Racing Helmets

maca_10

Hey guys, So i have done a little search about helmets to use in my rolla for track days, drag nights and possibly even go-carting and haven't found out too much on the site.

If you could point me in the right direction that would be great. Otherwise what I wanted to know is what are some good, protective helmets for racing probably around the $100-$250 mark.

I have also been looking at the Peter Stevens website. Yes I understand they are motorcycle helmets but I have seen many of the guys that do trackdays and drags use them. Also they have a clearence at the moment so many of them are cheap and conform to Australian Standards.

If you can tell me the difference between a motorcycle helmet and a car helmet that would be great too.

Hopefully I can research enough and buy one before Winton funday!

Thanks

90% of motorsport venues will accept any Australian standard motorcycle helmet.

Just pick whichever style suits you (full face, motox, open face, etc)

I use a $30 AS/NZS 1698 approved eBay helmet FTW.

Personally I don't think you need to go overboard with a helmet when driving a passenger car around the track, but at the end of the day, it's your noggin that it is holding together in the event of an accident so it's up to you on how far you want to go with it.

Yep, definitely like the idea of keeping my head in tact!

@DJKOR I can see you helmet in your signature. It looks good too.

I want a fullface one but i'm thinking a motorcycle one is good. AGV for $130-$170 is pretty good i think, plus i can use it for lots of things.

So what is the difference, if anyone knows, between a motorcycle helmet and a car one?

Thanks

EDIT:

So after a little more research it seems that motorcycle helmets can be hit multiple times but in different areas.

Whereas car helmets can be hit again and again in the same spot and still protect your head as thats whats most likely in a car. Also they are (more)fire proof than a standard bike helmet

Edited by kewl10_mac

You can get a decent full face one around 100ish. I got mine from ebay too like Daryl for 25bux.. rrp $70.

Dont need to go all out on the helmet. Have you tried M2R range? Arai? Takashi?

Just keep in mind with safety gear spend what you can afford. My car helmet (so fireproof and ready for HANS) was a grand. It is very comfortable; I would recommend trying helmets on and buy something comfortable as you don't want the distraction while at the limit.

Car helmets also aren't as good with UV light or abrasion as bike helmets. But both of those things aren't an issue while in a car :P

Alright. Thanks for the advice. Yeah, kinda made my mind up on AGV or RJAYS motorbike helmet. RJAYs helmet was comfortable, AGV haven't tried yet.

Thanks