HOW TO: HID Install

Got my HID’s in the mail from China today.

As always, thought I’d walk you through how to install them.

I got my HID’s lights from eBay, $36 delivered.

For ZZE Corolla’s you need a H7 Globe HID set, get the 35W kit. DON'T get 55W

This guy is a good seller, the price is so cheap and he has a range of light temperatures available

***PLEASE READ***

Before you purchase, you need to work out what temperature of light you want to run in your car. K stands for Kelvin, which is basically the colour of the light produced

Halogen (stock) bulbs are around 3000K and are very yellow.

HID’s start at around 3500K and go up. Here is a guide of HID colours.

In my ride I am installing 4300K HID lights, they are white without being blue. As I’m a P plater, the less attention from the boys in blue, the better! :D

The higher you go in temperature, the bluer the light will become. And the higher you go, the less light they will put out and ultimately the less you can see on the road. My opinion is anything over 8000K your running a good risk of getting pulled over. Anything below that and you should be pretty right and will provide a decent amount of light output which will just mean your safer on the road.

Usually HID’s should be run in projector style headlights. Unfortunately these aren't commercially available for ZZE’s (no the US ones won’t fit) so you will have to retrofit projector lenses in. Projector lenses are the best way to go as they accurately focus the light onto the road and don’t blind people. Do a search, there are a few threads on this. In Corolla’s though, we have that little thing that ensures the light isn’t directly facing oncoming traffic, it bounces the light back and then reflects it again. So you should be pretty well right and not blind other motorists.

But that being said, if your headlights aren't done correctly and are blinding people.

Hint, they will be flashing their high beams at you! Don’t be an idiot and keep driving, fix them up.

Because the people that you thought were thinking you were cool, actually will think your a d!ckhead for blinding people. So be respectful and do the right thing

The only reason I have installed these is because I want to have greater vision when driving. It looks pretty sweet also. And apparently they save power? So I guess that is a bonus

The good thing about HID’s is once the ballast is installed you can easily change the bulbs to different colours of lights. They run about $15 for a pair so they’re just as cheap as it is to buy stock bulbs. I’ve purchased a 6000K set just to see what they look like, if they don’t attract too much attention I will probably leave them in :)

Its fully up to you guys what you run in your ride. Those opinions are mine and mine only and if you want to run a different setup, by all means do it. Just don’t be an idiot with your HID lights and your car and you will be fine. Oh and post up photos in this thread of your current lights, it’d be appreciated if we could have a few different temperates of lights represented!

General word of warning, DONT touch your HID globe, the oil on your hands can ruin them

Open up your hood and remove the rubber things that stop water from entering the light

Picture001.jpg

Unclip the clips that hold the lights in and bring them out, make sure you save the bulb, you never know when you might need it.

Picture003-2.jpg

Grab your HID’s. Plug it all together and get ready to install

Picture002.jpg

Find somewhere to mount your HID Ballast. Mine has an adhesive backing so it makes it really easy to install, just peel and stick

Picture007.jpg

Plug these ends in your light socket

Picture004-2.jpg

Test to make sure they are working, they will only work one way

Picture005.jpg

Install them in your light housing, clip it all back together and repeat for the other side

Picture008.jpg

Edited by RollaRollin
  • Like 1

Now for my other side I didn’t have a socket, dodgy previous owner I believe was the cause

Picture009.jpg

Mount the ballast wherever you like, mine is mounted to the side

Picture014-1.jpg

Strip the wires back, wire strippers work perfectly everytime :)

Picture010-1.jpg

Get your solder out and secure the wires together.

Picture011.jpg

Don’t forget to heatshrink, install and your done!

Picture012-1.jpg

The finished product

Picture015.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture018.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Dont get me wrong... My kind advice to all is, please always buy a product from a seller who helps you in all aspects until it works fine. I also faced such difficulties while installing HID Ballast. But I found sparkhid through google search and they helped me in all the ways after purchasing the ballast. Try once

• 8 months later...