New gear selector cable worth the money!

So tuesday night i managed to snap my gear selector cable which considering my current financial status..was rather distressing haha. I got my car back today after slow freight and with 20 minutes till shop shutup for the long weekend (phew!). $482 later my stivo literally feels like im driving a new car :o i couldnt believe it this afternoon. The gear changes are extremely crisp and far more direct it feels.

Can anyone tell me as to how the cable broke? i dont thrash my car by any means but i do get lazy with gear shifts and unintentionally grind my gears from time to time :| it just doesnt make sense to me as to why the cable selector would be the first to go rather than the clutch or gearbox (thank christ it neither of them went!)

oh and the bloke at racq told me that the last remaining gear selector cable is now in my car! for future reference peoples the japanese warehouses which held parts and stock for import have been destroyed by the recent earthquakes....so finding any parts that arent currently stocked in australia is going to be a serious mission! 0_o im only relaying what i was told this afternoon

Dixon