Daytime Running LEDs

lasertip

You can't go wrong with Philips.

Do you mind I ask how much you paid for the kit plus installation?

Smidge over $200.00, I know I could have done this a lot cheaper, but have dealt with this shop for many years and always get good service, back up and proffesional work. When I rode bikes did nearly all my own mods and work but even though I am getting on in years only had cars the last 15 or so years and not into stuffing up on them.....

I am sure you will be very happy with your DRL once they installed for you.

Sometimes is not easy to find someone that you can trust and provide you a reliable opinion and good service.

Good you found one.

You can't go wrong with Philips.

Do you mind I ask how much you paid for the kit plus installation?

Smidge over $200.00, I know I could have done this a lot cheaper, but have dealt with this shop for many years and always get good service, back up and proffesional work. When I rode bikes did nearly all my own mods and work but even though I am getting on in years only had cars the last 15 or so years and not into stuffing up on them.....

RE: Drivers getting around dusk without headlights on

Very simple reason for this, and I've observed indian cab drivers tend to be particularly bad at noticing it. Years ago your dash lights wouldn't turn on until your headlights were on, so you tend to have that in your face reminder when you started driving at night and couldn't see the speedo. Modern cars of course tend to have these lights on whenever the ignition is on so if there is a bit of traffic out there or your in an otherwise well lit area it's not immediately noticeable.

DRLs may help true, but this is mainly a bandaid solution towards what amounts to poor driver attention and/or training in regards to modern cars and traffic conditions. I still don't buy the whole "adding DRLs for safety reasons" bullocks, as this thread is about adding DRLs to your own car rather than supporting them being introduced as a mandatory feature. If you really feel you need DRLs, maybe you fall under the category of drivers who should pay more attention to what they're doing <_<

RE: Drivers getting around dusk without headlights on

Very simple reason for this, and I've observed indian cab drivers tend to be particularly bad at noticing it. Years ago your dash lights wouldn't turn on until your headlights were on, so you tend to have that in your face reminder when you started driving at night and couldn't see the speedo. Modern cars of course tend to have these lights on whenever the ignition is on so if there is a bit of traffic out there or your in an otherwise well lit area it's not immediately noticeable.

This is true. I never paid attention to it (because I'm wise enough to turn my lights on as it gets dark), until I was at the drags and realised I don't have to turn my parkers on so I can see the speedo.

DRLs may help true, but this is mainly a bandaid solution towards what amounts to poor driver attention and/or training in regards to modern cars and traffic conditions. I still don't buy the whole "adding DRLs for safety reasons" bullocks, as this thread is about adding DRLs to your own car rather than supporting them being introduced as a mandatory feature. If you really feel you need DRLs, maybe you fall under the category of drivers who should pay more attention to what they're doing <_<

I agree here as well. Accident prevention is two ways here. You should also be aware of your surroundings and pay attention to other users of the road. If it's obviously not dark enough for them to necessitate the need to turn their headlights on, then it's obviously not dark enough for you to not notice them.

As for trying to use DRL legalities in other parts of the world in the argument to justify you putting LED strips on your car for your preferential style, it doesn't change the fact people are just putting them on for style because it's a trend that they want to copy. If you were really serious about safety, you would be wiring your headlights (high beams) to come on at half power when the car is on like DRL's typically do.

At the end of the day, I don't give a rats *** what anyone does to their car. I will always think LED strips slapped on a car will look crap and no amount of justification can take away the fact that you're jumping on the Audi knockoff bandwagon. Those cars with LED strips (ie. not Audi's etc) truly are head turners though. In the sense that I like to look at them to laugh. Like the Tarago I saw the other day with them... no joke... a Tarago.

Okay no flame wars here. Very valid points on all sides and I am definatly anti legislation being forced on us for the sake of it. As I stated before, bikes were my life for 30 odd years, i was horrified at the BS they tried over the years as in mandatory reflective vest's and hard wired headlights. Everyone seems to see the big black Harley and the cop bikes too. The headlight one got through in 88 I think and was done for "safety" reasons. It also stopped me from alerting peep's ahead using my passing flasher which stood out like dog balls from no lights to high beams. I am anti Big Brother and have chosen to put these on as a personal preferance. I have a beige 2007 Camry that i like but am no modding and adding for looks, oh apart from the Aurion style spoiler I fitted as the rear looked real bland to me. On my old Yamaha FJ 1200 it had air scoops on the side to direct cooling air over the two centre cylinders as it was three quarter faired and air cooled. I fitted amber truck side lamps inside and wired it to the headlights. It looked great at night, a similar idea to the septics hard in indicators. That was just something to be differant back then, in the 70's i made a rack for my old Yamaha and mounted a high brake light on top year before the came out in cars.

I must say I find this forum very informative, helpful and entertaining.

Keep it up gang.

Spied

No doubts that I'm getting drls fo aesthetics but it's definitely true that bikes are difficult to spot. Couple of times I couldn't see the bike squeezing through traffic and almost slam into them while shifting lanes

Let the war begin! Just kidding.

I have no hard feeling.

We're all entitled to our own opinions, right?

They are always pros and cons when it comes to cars.

Okay no flame wars here. Very valid points on all sides and I am definatly anti legislation being forced on us for the sake of it. As I stated before, bikes were my life for 30 odd years, i was horrified at the BS they tried over the years as in mandatory reflective vest's and hard wired headlights. Everyone seems to see the big black Harley and the cop bikes too. The headlight one got through in 88 I think and was done for "safety" reasons. It also stopped me from alerting peep's ahead using my passing flasher which stood out like dog balls from no lights to high beams. I am anti Big Brother and have chosen to put these on as a personal preferance. I have a beige 2007 Camry that i like but am no modding and adding for looks, oh apart from the Aurion style spoiler I fitted as the rear looked real bland to me. On my old Yamaha FJ 1200 it had air scoops on the side to direct cooling air over the two centre cylinders as it was three quarter faired and air cooled. I fitted amber truck side lamps inside and wired it to the headlights. It looked great at night, a similar idea to the septics hard in indicators. That was just something to be differant back then, in the 70's i made a rack for my old Yamaha and mounted a high brake light on top year before the came out in cars.

I must say I find this forum very informative, helpful and entertaining.

Keep it up gang.

Spied

Fitted today, imho they look good and yes they only come on when the lights are off. On shutdown it takes a few seconds for them to turn of and they look like they are meant to be there, very happy with the result.

I think you are referring to see me home feature.

When you turn the engine off, the front lights stay on for around five seconds so that you can see where you are going and can get into your front door.Any chance of posting up some pictures?

I like to see how bright are the LEDs at daytime.

Fitted today, imho they look good and yes they only come on when the lights are off. On shutdown it takes a few seconds for them to turn of and they look like they are meant to be there, very happy with the result.

I think you are referring to see me home feature.

When you turn the engine off, the front lights stay on for around five seconds so that you can see where you are going and can get into your front door.Any chance of posting up some pictures?

I like to see how bright are the LEDs at daytime.

------

Nope as they are wired to be on only when the lights are off

I can try with my phone camera as I lost the digitsl camara along with the Tarago 3/4 of my super all my savings and most my belongings in the divorce....

Spied

Saw another Aurion the day near Sutherland. Looked alright.

At $200 installed by Autobarn I am really tempted with these Philips DRL.

Just waiting for your photos, Spider, before I jump in.

In the sense that I like to look at them to laugh. Like the Tarago I saw the other day with them... no joke... a Tarago.

Saw a truck with a couple of truely blue strips the other day.

Including one right in the middle.

Saw another Aurion the day near Sutherland. Looked alright.

At $200 installed by Autobarn I am really tempted with these Philips DRL.

Just waiting for your photos, Spider, before I jump in.

In the sense that I like to look at them to laugh. Like the Tarago I saw the other day with them... no joke... a Tarago.

Saw a truck with a couple of truely blue strips the other day.

Including one right in the middle.

Mine should be coming in end of next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

So which one you ended up getting?

I got the switch that you recommended from ijdmtoy and at the same time I got their cheapest DRL set. We'll see how it goes.

The switch is basically a copy of the philips set, so I figured that if I wasn't happy with the DRLs, I could always get another set from china and plug them in :P

Which did you get?

DRL's are added for other peoples safety, what will happen when there are more electric powered vehicles on the road.

They do not make a noise at lower speeds (when the conventional motor is not running) although you can add a generated sound of a Ferrari, Lambo, etc to warn of your presence.

DRL's add a visible presence that could avoid collisions with pedestrians, little kids who may not notice a car that is silent.

I wouldn't add then just for looks, I don't buy into the big brother scene either or having your high beam running at half brilliance any different to than being a copy of the european cars that come from the factory with this option.

I am old enough to remember when cars didn't have seat belts, babies travelled in cane baskets unrestrained on the back seat, large families travel in station wagons with 3 in the front - 3 in the rear seat and the smaller kids travelled in the rear of the station wagon - all unrestrained, on a Sunday you couldn't drink at a pub near where you lived you had to travel to a pub >20k's from your home to drink (and nobody was concerned about how much you drank) and then drive home.

Times change and people embrace the the changes, why are DRL's added to a car that weren't factory fitted creating so much fuss.

Are reverse cameras deemed to be a trendy gadget or a safety device?

I fitted a reversing camera to the tarago and it is great for that type of vehicle but the ex still bingled it.

I have one in the Camry but that is part of the stereo.

I will post pic's of my DRL Phillips but keep forgeting and no point doing ot now as it is dark and I am at work, albiet on smoko. Not sure how good the pic's will be as I only have my phones camera.

• 2 weeks later...

I agreed with you.

It is quite pricing but I have say this is the easiest DIY installation for DRL (no switch required, no soldering & cutting of wires - direct plug & play).

The one you found from ebay is not a bad one.

All you need is a DRL module to turns on automatically at the start of the engine and turn off when engine is off.

The module is very easy to install simply connect it directly to battery's positive and negative terminals, not only will avoid a lot of complicated installation such as finding and cutting stock wiring and allows you to have the "true" key-in-and-on daytime running lights function.

You can get the DRL module from this seller.

http://store.ijdmtoy...auto-switch.htm

So, I got this and it finally came in. Turns out that they don't work with the Aurion :(

The module switches on when it detects fluctuations in the alternator. When I installed it, it turned on for around 10secs then powered down.

I suppose it means that the aurion alternator produces a very stable current, which is why this knockoff of the philips DRL isn't sensitive enough to detect the small voltage fluctuations.

They do mentioned that so far they have only tested for 2010 Porsche Cayman, 2010 Volkswagen GTi, 2008 BMW 335i, 2009 Audi TT and all work.

However, for some cars, the Automatic DRL switch might only light up for 10 sec and shuts off, in this case, you can return this product for a full refund.

Look like it only works on late German made cars.

So what are you going to do next?

I agreed with you.

It is quite pricing but I have say this is the easiest DIY installation for DRL (no switch required, no soldering & cutting of wires - direct plug & play).

The one you found from ebay is not a bad one.

All you need is a DRL module to turns on automatically at the start of the engine and turn off when engine is off.

The module is very easy to install simply connect it directly to battery's positive and negative terminals, not only will avoid a lot of complicated installation such as finding and cutting stock wiring and allows you to have the "true" key-in-and-on daytime running lights function.

You can get the DRL module from this seller.

http://store.ijdmtoy...auto-switch.htm

So, I got this and it finally came in. Turns out that they don't work with the Aurion :(

The module switches on when it detects fluctuations in the alternator. When I installed it, it turned on for around 10secs then powered down.

I suppose it means that the aurion alternator produces a very stable current, which is why this knockoff of the philips DRL isn't sensitive enough to detect the small voltage fluctuations.

They do mentioned that so far they have only tested for 2010 Porsche Cayman, 2010 Volkswagen GTi, 2008 BMW 335i, 2009 Audi TT and all work.

However, for some cars, the Automatic DRL switch might only light up for 10 sec and shuts off, in this case, you can return this product for a full refund.

Look like it only works on late German made cars.

So what are you going to do next?

I emailed them and they told me to send it back for a full refund. 10.50 to ship it back and get 40bucks refund. Looks like that's my best bet.

Rather than give up and buy the Philips daylight kit, I decided to do it myself.

Poked a little hole through the rubber seal in the firewall, pulled a wire through and connected it to the cigarette lighter positive. Connected the negative to battery negative and hooked the LEDs up in parallel. Works fine, although it took me a few hours to figure out everything!

I think the LEDs look too small for the car though, going to order a longer set from ebay.

dsc01682q.jpg

oh...never gave it much thought but I just assumed those DRL control relays to works on vibration

now that I thought about it, the philips video did say to mount it away from heat

it might be for safety but i'd only fit it look oem otherwise it looks odd imo. dimmed high beam drls work fine (probably not good for the environment though). i think a decent looking led setup would be like the mercedes, lose the foglights and blank the foglight cover to integrate leds like these z-coupe-acc-lg-led-lights.jpg in the foglight cover. or make your own shape with individual leds

dnevnye_markery_hodovye_ogni_hella_ledayflex_24071422_1_F.jpg

Hella LEDayFlex

ebay has them at $100 for the pair, $300 for the kit

but ship from Germany

by far harder to install

more for the hardcore modders

I am thinking of the Philips at the lower corner grills though

taking away the fogs lol

maybe I could get the AT-X lower corner grills from wreckers

or maybe Toyota still sells them

Hella LEDayFlex

ebay has them at $100 for the pair, $300 for the kit

but ship from Germany

by far harder to install

more for the hardcore modders

I am thinking of the Philips at the lower corner grills though

taking away the fogs lol

maybe I could get the AT-X lower corner grills from wreckers

or maybe Toyota still sells them

Youch. That's expensive. Yea Philips Daylight 4 for below 180AUD. Mine cost 16bucks from an online store and I'm already thinking that they're pretty expensive.

It's that automatic switch module that costs more albeit way overpriced... but I'll live without them.

actually its the shipping from Europe that brings the price up

it appears Hella kits are otherwise price competitive with Philips kits

I google on it and people from various forums were waiting for a local supplier of Hella LEDayFlex

there may be other Hella kits avaliable from local supplier though

actually its the shipping from Europe that brings the price up

it appears Hella kits are otherwise price competitive with Philips kits

I google on it and people from various forums were waiting for a local supplier of Hella LEDayFlex

there may be other Hella kits avaliable from local supplier though

Ah wells, 180bucks for a set of LEDs is too much. Have u guys ever realised that local shops sell exactly the same item on ebay for almost 8x the price? The same item on ebay going for 15 bucks sells at 100bucks here in stores.

; my point, most items are of similar quality, made in china. The only difference between generic and branded kits is the automatic switch (dim/turn off DRLs when low beams are turned on). Is it worth the additional cost for this feature?

I just bought these for 16.99AUD, + 7bucks postage on ebay. If you look around online, the same item can go for 100+ bucks.

Don't waste your money. There's much better uses for it (like beer :P )

3tb_100916185441ullk226791.jpg