Buying an '05 Stivo in the near future.

Hi all, I've been a long time reader and have decided to register now that I'll be buying a Sportivo in the near future.

Excuse me if this has been posted before, but I'll be (HOPEFULLY) upgrading from my 1993 BMW 318i to a 2005 Sportivo and was wondering a few things, any help is appreciated.

What should I look for when buying? My list is as follows:

- Motor.

- Exterior.

- Interior.

- Check all doors close properly.

- Check all windows work properly.

- Check all speakers and head-unit work properly.

- Check AC unit works and heats/cools accordingly.

- I have read before that the Stivo's have had gearbox problems in the past and that the engine was not actually producing 141kW's and for these reasons they have been called back - do the 05's have this problem? (the facelift ones I believe). If it has then it should have a sticker indicating that it's been taken back for the recall, yes? If so, where can I find this sticker?

- Are there any other problems that the Stivo's had that required callbacks that I am unaware of?

- What is a good price for stock Stivo's, for the following KM's?

- 150K+

- Is there a free REVS check website of the likes? I had one before but I've seemed to have lost it!

Again I am terribly sorry if this has been posted elsewhere or if this is in the wrong section, and again, any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Gee

Edited by geestivo

Hi all, I've been a long time reader and have decided to register now that I'll be buying a Sportivo in the near future.

Excuse me if this has been posted before, but I'll be (HOPEFULLY) upgrading from my 1993 BMW 318i to a 2005 Sportivo and was wondering a few things, any help is appreciated.

What should I look for when buying? My list is as follows:

- Motor.

- Exterior.

- Interior.

- Check all doors close properly.

- Check all windows work properly.

- Check all speakers and head-unit work properly.

- Check AC unit works and heats/cools accordingly.

- I have read before that the Stivo's have had gearbox problems in the past and that the engine was not actually producing 141kW's and for these reasons they have been called back - do the 05's have this problem? (the facelift ones I believe). If it has then it should have a sticker indicating that it's been taken back for the recall, yes? If so, where can I find this sticker?

- Are there any other problems that the Stivo's had that required callbacks that I am unaware of?

- What is a good price for stock Stivo's, for the following KM's?

- 150K+

- Is there a free REVS check website of the likes? I had one before but I've seemed to have lost it!

Again I am terribly sorry if this has been posted elsewhere or if this is in the wrong section, and again, any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Gee

Mate you need to get on to the car sales sites and check out models & options within your price range. Most aurions arn't your typical

bogan race car so you shouldnt have to much trouble finding a decent ride. As for major problems i dont think that there is anything to worry about. Anything that can go wrong with one will be on this site. Check the FAQ section. End of the day search for lowest kms and features/colour you would like. Good luck

OK i just realized ya not talking about Aurion . Either way the advice is still the same.

Edited by Spillzee

Mate you need to get on to the car sales sites and check out models & options within your price range. Most aurions arn't your typical

bogan race car so you shouldnt have to much trouble finding a decent ride. As for major problems i dont think that there is anything to worry about. Anything that can go wrong with one will be on this site. Check the FAQ section. End of the day search for lowest kms and features/colour you would like. Good luck

OK i just realized ya not talking about Aurion . Either way the advice is still the same.

Yeah I'm looking at this one on CarSales, it's an 05 Sportivo not an Aurion. Thanks anyways!

Its just like buying any car. I think the best idea is to have someone qualified to come with you when you inspect the car

Yeah you're right, this is a given however.

I was mostly wondering about the callbacks of the Sportivos and was wondering if the 05 model had the issue with first and second gear, and I think it was the ECU? that needed modification because they weren't getting their true 141kW output at the engine.

Thanks.

the issue with the ecu and air-intake nozzle was only with pre-facelift (2003) models, whereby they were producing around 90-100atwkw, rather than 110ish. this was completely resolved by the 2005 (facelift) models.

the gearbox issue is not an actual recall, and had to do with the synchros being faulty or installed incorrectly at the factory, causing the grinding of gears. this was a warranty issue and wouldn't necessarily have anything to do with the way the car was driven. only a very small batch of cars were affected (as advised to me by a toyota service foreman)

otherwise, providing they've been serviced regularly they're a relatively problem-free car.

the issue with the ecu and air-intake nozzle was only with pre-facelift (2003) models, whereby they were producing around 90-100atwkw, rather than 110ish. this was completely resolved by the 2005 (facelift) models.

Is there a way to tell if the pre-facelift models have had the 'ECU fix' (by Toyota) done?

Is there a way to tell if the pre-facelift models have had the 'ECU fix' (by Toyota) done?

take a look into your air intake box. if it has a fin type nozzle, it's been done. if it has a mesh-type nozzle, it hasn't been done.

otherwise, there would be a sticker usually inside the driver's side door jam with the recall code on it.