Aurion Air Flow

Hey Guys,

I am soon to buy a fujita cold air intake and then closely followed with a custom exhaust system but after talking to a few people they have said that it would not enhance the drive/performance at all.. just woundering if anyone has something simlar and reckons its worth it.

Cheers

Personal choice would be buy a good filter and leave the whole car stock for performance, only thing you gain from it is a headache from the noise xD

The car already gets relatively cool air as the intake is mounted at the front of the car as is. Pop bonnet to see

MY2CENTS B)

Intake all you tend to gain is noise (but damn sexy noise at that).

Some debate exists for exhaust though, people here have achieved very low 14 1/4mile runs with the car virtually stock, and those with full on custom exhausts haven't shown to do much better (despite having dyno sheets showing a large improvement).

You'll probably find though that you'll be stuck with just getting a catback exhaust due to the lack of readily available options for headers and "Y-pipe" merges, so this will essentially limit any change to noise only in all likelyhood.

• Like 1

thanks guys for the info, i may stick with just getting the intake because it sounds amazing and the still relitivaly cheap..

as for the exhaust i do know a few people experimenting with designs but will proberly wait awhile and just some nicer tips for now.. any pointers were to look for those?

Gee I miss the throaty scream of the intake when giving it stick,still got the bits and pieces of the custom intake stored away, till I get the urge to put it back in again. The exhaust is still on the drawing board, but cant draw money to do the mod I want :(

Honestly I find the car really really quiet, even when u step on the gas hard. Compared to the other cars I've driven; Toyota echo, Toyota wish and Honda odyssey, it's just epic silent, probs a little too quiet.

Few of the lads from work and i have had an idea for the intake system on the Aurion, doubt it would actually do anything. Probably just make the induction noisy if anything but ill share it anyway just for a giggle.

We all know how the induction system is split into on the Aurion yes? Top scoop goes through a butterfly straight to the air box assembly and just under the main scoop there's another pipe that goes straight down through a resonator and into the air box? Well under slight throttle applications I.e driving around town the engine is drawing it's air though the bottom channel and resonator as the top line with its butterfly only snaps open when the engine takes a nice deep breath under heavy load etc.

SOOOOOOOO idea was to take the bottom section of pipe that goes to the resonator and reroute it so it draws its air from down behind the bar much in the same way the fujita CAI does but of course there will still be the top induction system from the front snorkel as well so that under heavy engine loads it draws its air from two different places on the car if you follow? (top section from the snorkel through the butterfly to the airbox and from down low behind the front bar area through to the air box) Would it work or would it just make a god horrid noise and be a waste of a afternoon lol?

First time it got brought up the idea was to remove the resonator and pipe section completely and go straight from behind the bar to the bottom of the air box but i guess there's no reason why it couldn't just mount onto the resonator then through to the air box, that way it might take out some of that "sucking" noise that people have noted seemed much louder once they had swapped to the K&N and Fujita systems.

Anyways start pointing out the holes in the plan lol?

SOOOOOOOO idea was to take the bottom pipe and reroute it so it draws it air from down behind the bar much in the same way the fujita CAI does but of course it will still have the normal top induction system as well so it really draws it air from two different places? Would it work or would it just make a god horrid noise and be a waste of a afternoon lol?

idea was to remove the resonator and pipe straight from behind the bar to the air box but i guess there’s no reason why it couldn’t mount onto the resonator then through to the airbox, that way it might take out some of that "sucking" noise that people have noted seemed much louder once they had swapped to the K&N and Fujita systems.

Anyways start pointing out the holes in the plan lol?

I can't make a flowing sentences out of this so I shall make some points:

- You are better off removing the entire lower section completely and swapping the vacuum hoses around so that air is always easiest flowing through the upper path. Routing the bottom pipe to direct cool air in is going to be a waste of (human) energy.

- The front snorkel bit that connects to above the radiator is a little bit of a restriction. Removing this as well will help free things up a little... but provide no noticeable gain. Makes you feel better though that you have removed some restriction.

- Removing the front snorkel however will make a slight increase in engine note... but you have to be familiar with what it sounded like before hand to notice it. Otherwise it will pretty much just sound the same.

- Removing the upper resonator as well will once again increase the induction noise with no other gain. Same point from above applies.

- Putting on an aftermarket intake that gets rid of the airbox will sound like someone has just turned the volume up from 1 to 10. There is just no comparison.

Dammm, back to the drawing board then although that’s no surprise lol. Why are these cars so hard to make noticeable gains from? O well enjoy the car for what it is! Still though is rather annoying when you know these types of mods yield results for the falcodore boys.

Still though is rather annoying when you know these types of mods yield results for the falcodore boys.

But when you look at it... what does it say about the differences in design between the two.

Still though is rather annoying when you know these types of mods yield results for the falcodore boys.

But when you look at it... what does it say about the differences in design between the two.

LOl does it need saying that their systems just aren’t designed right in the first place?

• 2 weeks later...

Had anyone ever though of doing a wrx style bonnet scoop or some sort of hood vent?

That way when the top intake system opens, it would get some kind of forced induction/ram air intake sort of thing?

Or would it simply screw up the intake system and destroy the aurion's excellent aerodynamics?

Had anyone ever though of doing a wrx style bonnet scoop or some sort of hood vent?

That way when the top intake system opens, it would get some kind of forced induction/ram air intake sort of thing?

Or would it simply screw up the intake system and destroy the aurion's excellent aerodynamics?

The WRX mostly uses the bonnet scoop as a means to cool the over-engine intercooler (and not terribly well either).

Not sure about ruining the aerodynamics, but most probably would ruin the aesthetics for sure. Cars with scoops generally have them included in the design phase of the car, hence most cars that get them added later just appear tacky (to me anyway).

I can't see it ruining the intake system at all, but I do believe the gains would be minimal at best. I previously read an article in a car magazine (which shalt not be named) that did some rigorous testing on N/A intake systems and found systems that feed directly from the cars exterior actually get a boost not too different from forced induction at high speeds. However to put this in perspective, that "boost" was about 0.4psi and that "speed" was over 120km/h.

Props for thinking of innovative ways to get more performance from the Aurion, but unfortunately a scoop just has too many cons to be viable solution in terms of looks, performance gains and aerodynamics.

The WRX mostly uses the bonnet scoop as a means to cool the over-engine intercooler (and not terribly well either).

Not sure about ruining the aerodynamics, but most probably would ruin the aesthetics for sure. Cars with scoops generally have them included in the design phase of the car, hence most cars that get them added later just appear tacky (to me anyway).

I can't see it ruining the intake system at all, but I do believe the gains would be minimal at best. I previously read an article in a car magazine (which shalt not be named) that did some rigorous testing on N/A intake systems and found systems that feed directly from the cars exterior actually get a boost not too different from forced induction at high speeds. However to put this in perspective, that "boost" was about 0.4psi and that "speed" was over 120km/h.

Props for thinking of innovative ways to get more performance from the Aurion, but unfortunately a scoop just has too many cons to be viable solution in terms of looks, performance gains and aerodynamics.

Honestly I think that the wrx hood scoop looks crappy. It's just way too big for the car.

Merc AMG hood vents look damn good though - http://www.mercedes-amg.com/#/home

but yea it's all too expensive, I can only afford cheaper mods like LED lighting, etc. I'm just a poor uni student. I don't even have a job =(