Captain Upsidedown reveals the AE71

Well, considering there has been a little talk/discussion regarding the performance of my little corolla, i thought i might share it with you.

**ALL WORK DONE BY ME. Except welding the manifold, i cant weld.

Car:

1984 AE71 Corolla Sedan CS-X

Factory rear spoiler

Dodgy matt black paint

shovel nose front end

Engine and accesories:

100kW 4A-GE

Cut'n'shut intake manifold

Home made engine wiring harness

Mandrel bent 4-1 extractors

Press bent 2" exhaust, no cat. converter

Redback sports mufler

2" tip

Running Gear:

Factory 13" alloys

175/70 R13 tyres

Kmac springs

Soft shock absorbers (i like take offs)

Drive-train:

Celica T50 5 speed

TE72 2 piece tailshaft

T series 6.7" 4.1:1 Differential

Fuel System:

Bosch 580 HP pump

Low press lift pump, filling home made surge tank

Interior:

RA60 celica seats (low)

Pricol Oil Pressure guage

No carpet, door trims or sound deadening

Pictures found here:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=m...1661991d9612ab9

:lol::lol::lol:

Thats great!

You must have had some serious fun putting that car together! Sounds great I reckon!!!!

The number plate makes the car though.... :lol:

Excellent idea for truelly 'finding out how to do stuff', I would love to do something like that personally.

Is the car roadworthy though?

yeah its roadworthy. I really should get my hands on an engineers certificate (about $300), but having finished the car late october and then leaving for USA until 2 weeks ago, i havent had the time.

There really isnt that much that has been modified that isnt stock from another car. Its all bolt in really.

yeah its roadworthy. I really should get my hands on an engineers certificate (about $300), but having finished the car late october and then leaving for USA until 2 weeks ago, i havent had the time.

There really isnt that much that has been modified that isnt stock from another car. Its all bolt in really.

Well good on you man! Its great to see someone finally not bitching about how they want bigger BOV's or some little performance thing like that... the only thing that I can see you guys complaining about is the car drifting around corners :lol:

Its honestly a great job! Have you had any training or anything on car mechanics before?

Maybe you could put red spray painted speed stripes down the side next... :lol:

nope, no mechanical training at all. NONE. I have barely even had people show me how to do things.

I bought an RA28 celica not even 2 years ago, and just learnt how to do things whilst playing with that and fixing things from there. When something broke, i read a repair manual, did some research on the internet and had a go. Whats the worst that can happen? I break something?

From there i just pushed myself to learn more but TRYING THINGS. I did some research and reading (not much really) and just had a hack at it. Since then i've swapped the gearbbox and motor from my 2 celicas about 3 or 4 times, replaced diff centres, rewired my 2nd RA28 celica, changed over suspension items and struts, and installed electronic igntion. And thats just with my RA28's.

Then i bought the AE71, ripped out the busted 4A-C, replaced with a mates old 4A-C, then replaced the head gasket on that, then replaced the entire drive train, then installed the 4A-GE, then wired the motor up and just kept going from there.

It might sound daunting, but really its not. I have spent a lot of time in self serve auto wreckers pulling cars apart just learning how it all goes together, then gone home and done it on my car. Especially with the 10+ year old toyotas, they are just so easy to work on - with just a bit of patience, some forward thinking and willingness to learn, it really is easy stuff!

My next project is a turbo motor for my celica. But that DOES require money. A lot of it.

Respect! :D

I know what you mean about 10+ year old toyotas. My old car is a 89 celica and i've pretty much figured how to fix it by trial and error.

i've changed oil gaskets, distributor, clutch slave cylinder, suspension bushings, front hub, knuckle and bearings. Most of the info you need is in books and on the internet anway.

What times do you get on the drag strip with that thing? how much does frankenstein weight with all trim taken out? ;)

i would too.

driving a car like this is fun indeed, but it can sometimes be annoying hard work - and i miss creature comforts (like aircon, nice seats, cushy interior etc).

A sportivo, or just a plain rolla or celica would be good for everyday driving, and having one of these (or two) for track and drag use would be sweet. Especially a turbo one (easy to do also).

It hasnt been run down the strip yet - i have a nasty oil leak from the front main seal which would not allow it to pass scrutineering. So until i get off my **** and fix that, its G-tech's only for me. I should have the leak fixed soon though.... its a matter of money atm.

P.S. it weighs under 900kgs.

not bad my mate has an AE71 pannel van with the same conversion as yours and its pretty quick. How well does it stop with the stockie brakes? My mates didnt so he changed them to MX62 cressida brakes, a very big improvement

My next project is a turbo motor for my celica. But that DOES require money. A lot of it.

Are you gona stick with toyota engines? A perfect fit would be the 1.8 3T-GTEU with a yamaha 8 vavle twin cam. That head also fits on a 22-RE engine which would give you a displacement of 2.4 liters, or you can just get a supercharger for the engine you have now.

Are you gona stick with toyota engines? A perfect fit would be the 1.8 3T-GTEU with a yamaha 8 vavle twin cam.

Nope. Too many already have the 3T-GTEU twinsparker. Im building an 18R-G(T)E. WIll be much faster at 2L, maybe 2.2L if i feel like it.

That head also fits on a 22-RE engine which would give you a displacement of 2.4 liters, or you can just get a supercharger for the engine you have now.

Errrrr, no it definitely does NOT fit!

I have my plans predominantly laid out already. We'll see what happens over the next year or two..... 500HP is the major target.