Mysterious beep

Kombi17

Hi

I was wondering if the members of this great forum could help with a mysterious beep my car started making recently whenever I unlocked and opened the door.

I have a 2007 Presara model with keyless entry and whenever I open the door it beeps once. There no warning message on the dashboard and no indication as to why this unexplained beep has started all of a sudden after 1 year of silence. The closest ‘explained beep’ I can think of is when there has been a change of drivers and the same beep sounds once to advise the seats are adjusting to the new driver but it beeps even if I am the same driver and have not adjusted the seats during my last drive.

I am just a little perplexed… low battery? software glitch? I just have no idea.

Anything changed with your toyotalink subscription or mayday ecu / battery?

The Toyotalink was deactivated a year ago.

So maybe the battery then, it's the only variable I can think of. I might give the car a thorough once over on the weekend and see if I can find the cause, maybe the battery, maybe I've left something open ...dunno. The car has just decided to play the 'What am I thinking game and I'll give you a clue - beep'.

The Toyotalink was deactivated a year ago.

So maybe the battery then, it's the only variable I can think of. I might give the car a thorough once over on the weekend and see if I can find the cause, maybe the battery, maybe I've left something open ...dunno. The car has just decided to play the 'What am I thinking game and I'll give you a clue - beep'.

I was going to suggest battery, but yours sounds different to the typical Toyotaloink stuff:

Unknown beeping

It is related to Toyota Link. It usually is only one beep on start up, to initiate the system during start up.

If you have five or however many it is, it usually means that the system monitoring/tracking has been turned off.

Since your car is an '07 build your subscription may have lapsed (3 years included from date of purchase), hence the monitoring would have been turned off, unless you have renewed your subscription.

Worth checking though I guess.

Is it once you've physically opened the door? Or when you've touched the door handle to unlock it? Because I'm pretty sure they all beep when you touch the handle to unlock it...unless there's a way of switching that off?

Is it once you've physically opened the door? Or when you've touched the door handle to unlock it? Because I'm pretty sure they all beep when you touch the handle to unlock it...unless there's a way of switching that off?

I think the OP would know what unlocking his car sounds like. He mentioned that it has not made the noise for a year so I'm pretty sure it's not related to that. Plus the beep is of a different type to the lock buzzer.

Thanks guys for your advice and proving again what a great forum this is. Nice link by the way DJKOR on the ‘Unknown beeping’…did you notice that was also started by me? :-)

To the best of my memory the only time the car beeps at the very beginning when the door opens is:

- If there were a change of drivers and the seats are adjusting or

- a longer warning beep and message on dash board to advise the sunroof is open.

Other than that and ever since I deactivated the Toyotalink 12 months ago, it’s been completely quiet with unlocking and opening the door.

It would make complete ‘Toyota sense’ to beep once as the driver unlocks and opens the door and advise the driver , in fact, he has just unlocked and opened the door but as I mentioned, this only started a couple of days ago.

It would also make sense if it were the back up battery for the Toyotalink thingy, it has been 4 years. Will keep you all posted.

I think the OP would know what unlocking his car sounds like. He mentioned that it has not made the noise for a year so I'm pretty sure it's not related to that. Plus the beep is of a different type to the lock buzzer.

By the sounds of it though, his car wasn't even making a beep when unlocking...but yes, fair call.

Yeah, the ECU/Mayday battery seems unlikely now. My friend, who also had a Presara, remembered how it used to beep once as he touched the door handle to unlock the car and then open the door.

I checked the car over the weekend to make sure nothing was open or loose. The car only beeped if I touched the driver's side to open the door. It didn't beep when I touched the passenger side or used the remote to unlock the doors prior to opening.

It's not a big deal, just a mystery why it started all of a sudden. I think it was always suppose to beep but just remembered to do so. Can I ask the Presara drivers out there, your car beeps as you touch the driver door handle and open the door? or is my car special.

Cheers guys.