Traditional MT or DSG?

Some DSG boxes require you to use the paddle shifter to change from park to reverse to drive/1 etc etc. In these cases reverse parking can be a pain in the ***** - most good set ups just use the sequential part when the car is in a "drive" mode

My understanding is that since you have no clutch, you'd have to be very light on the gas and be ready to brake, a bit like driving an auto, whereas with the manual you can use the clutch as well for smooth slow acceleration.

I also heard it's the same thing with taking off on a hill.

That means while DSG may be great for fast gear change, it's still clunky for smooth low speed change, the speed we'd be at most of the time during rush hour traffic.

Not to mention you'd probably need to update the software from time to time, most likely during service.

Come to think of it, I really doubt manual transmission would be going away anytime soon.

Edited by P_T

Guys remember DSG (or whatever the company wants to call it) actually have two clutches... and in my experience with the current crop of VW DSG's ( in both TSI/FSI & TDI sports models and family wagons) i haven’t found a single one of them to be clunky or abrupt around town on the highway or backloads. parking (especially on an incline) you can hear what appears to be the electronic clutch going in or out and the engine note changing just like a manual but there no way any different or sound any different or make any more weird noises than a conventionally Manual or Auto. Was a drama with the early ones that they would roll on a hill like a manual which put people off but now they come standard with hill hold or hill start assist as either built in or on a on/off switch. Guys you really need to get out and experience these gearboxes behind a properly good car. In reality left to its own devices in D it just is the smartest most switched on Auto you’ve driven and in Sports mode you couldn’t ask for a better high performance friend.

Nissan GTR and Mistubishi Evo X are dct, even Ford offer powershift/dual clutch transmission in the Fiesta/Focus as the auto option and Mazda soon to release their new skyactiva thingy.

Best bet is to rock up to a Ford dealer and take a powershift Fiesta for a spin (they are like $15kish so the dealers shouldn't care so much for a test drive lol).

The early vw DSG boxes had some issues, but the newer ones are more refined.

Edited by rthy

Yeah every company has a diferent name for esstially the same thing but ofcourse some systems are much better than others.

Lamborghini call it E- Gear

VW Group of Companies call it DSG (execpt Porsche)

Porsche PDK (Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe) say that ten times fast

Mitsubishi in the Lancer Evo X & Ralliart call it TC-SST

Nissan and BMW call it DCT these days with SMG being BM's old system

Theres a few others out there too but these are the main ones. Lambo has a new system too which is meant to of moved the game on again.

Yeah every company has a diferent name for esstially the same thing but ofcourse some systems are much better than others.

Theres a few others out there too but these are the main ones. Lambo has a new system too which is meant to of moved the game on again.

It can be quite confusing can't it? However, we would consider DSG the base name for that type of transmission. Not every DSG gearbox carry twin clutches, right? For instance, the Honda Accord Euro has the gearbox which can be classified as such, but from what i believe it is only single clutch.

It can be quite confusing can't it? However, we would consider DSG the base name for that type of transmission. Not every DSG gearbox carry twin clutches, right? For instance, the Honda Accord Euro has the gearbox which can be classified as such, but from what i believe it is only single clutch.

I guess you could say DSG is the base name for this type of gear box. it was really the VW group that has made them a mainstream gearbox, so the most popular car to carry this type of gearbox has it badged as DSG(Direct Shift Gearbox)so that’s the name that has taken off with the public followed by DCT. No not quite the Accord Euro's 5 speed box is essentially the same idea as what’s in Aurion, Commodore, falcon and any gearbox with a "sports mode" Remembering DSG, DCT, TC-SST, PDK etc essentially are two separate gearboxes with their own separate clutches bolted together with computers controlling the show. One gearbox and clutch has the odd gears and the other takes care of the even gears, that's how come they can pre select the next gear and have the clutch already half engaged ready to release the rest of the way given you those lightning fast gear shifts, because the next gear is in the other half of the gearbox ready to go (or the other gearbox to be precise)

I'd rather have something like the 370Z tranny that blips the gas when downshifting.

DSG's do that lol...

Perhaps, but I'm talking about the 370Z auto blip fully manual gearbox, not a sequential semi auto.

Edited by P_T

SMG being BM's old system

Neither of these are dual-clutch gearboxes, they are sequential semi-automatics.

Must of being why they were so dead average when compared to the Porsche Tiptronic system which was still quite flawed when compared to a DSG system

• 2 months later...

I'd get the DSG, especially if getting a higher end car. It may essentially be like driving an auto at the end of the day, but getting the most performance out of it would be where I stand.