HID Kit Wattage

BNO

Hey guys,

Im just about to upgrade the lights in the '10 touring, however i want to run 6k low and high beams, however im considering getting 100w for the highs, is this a viable option or will this heat up too much and melt the crap out of the housing?

Also if i was to get the high/low balast, could i split wire the kit so i can get away with having to use both balasts? (if the 100w isnt the way to go) currently i have a 55w which i had in my rolla a while back.

yours in all things awesome.

Dan :)

Having 100w is asking for trouble. Having 55w is asking for trouble. Having 35w is no problem.

I wouldn't recommend having HIDs for high beam as they would blind everyone. Also it takes time to power up fully so HIDs aren't the way to go.

There's plenty of threads on HIDs in this forum. Go search for them as they pretty much cover everything you need to know.

Hey guys,

Im just about to upgrade the lights in the '10 touring, however i want to run 6k low and high beams, however im considering getting 100w for the highs, is this a viable option or will this heat up too much and melt the crap out of the housing?

Also if i was to get the high/low balast, could i split wire the kit so i can get away with having to use both balasts? (if the 100w isnt the way to go) currently i have a 55w which i had in my rolla a while back.

yours in all things awesome.

Dan, 100W HID may be too OTT. You'd definitely need to take extra care to have the low beams aimed low or at least have some sort of automatic leveling device installed. 35W is bright, 55W is bewdiful, but 100W might be too much.

Imagine if you had 5 ppl in the car, or heavy stuff in the boot, your low beams would be a serious road hazard and you'll most likely get in trouble with the cops too.

100W HID is probably good if you're landing a plane on a poorly lit runway on a moonless night. :P

55 W 4300 K Low beams is the way to go as i have the 35 W 6000 K lows and there shocking on wet roads and on medium to high lit roads very little light reflects off the ground....

High beams don't stress on blinding people as u dim them for approaching cars, does take time to heat up and also shortens life with constant on/off situation... 55 W should suffice for high's as they do throw differently!

thanks for the input guys :D

I think the 100w would be the least of my problems.... youtube K3LA Nathan's

I think ill just stick to running the 55s for both high low and the driving lights...

Cheers

I wouldn't recommend having HIDs for high beam as they would blind everyone.

I thought you weren't meant to use high beams when other cars are present?

You can only use high beams when the car is further than 100m in front of you.

It's 200m. Besides, common sense will tell you that if you see the other guys tail or head lights, you would dip you beam anyways. So in that case, you can however bright high beams you want.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't recommend having HIDs for high beam as they would blind everyone.

I thought you weren't meant to use high beams when other cars are present?

Ever had someone driving behind you on a country road within 400 meter's with their high beams on? It's not nice, I tend to pull over let them pass and show them how it feels with my high beams burning into their eyes reflecting off there mirrors. There just isn't enough people in society these days with common sense.

Edited by GShadow