WARRANTY / MODS

my 40000k service is coming up real soon and my exhaust and CAI is on the way, if i installed my exhaust and CAI and brought it to toyota for a service, even if nothing is wrong with the car they they put a record on it to void my warranty if anything does happen?

Or is it just safe to leave the mods off and put them on after the service again?

no i have spoke to toyota about this before

basicly whatever part you change then only that part gets vioded

BUT be careful cus if other parts break and its caused by the new part then that gets vioded too

so its a very touchy topic

if they wanna be pricks they can viod you and just tell you it was because of that part and you wont really know unless you have a freind mechanic look at it first so that way you can show them you know whats going on and they think we better not lie he knows what hes talking about

i hope that all makes sense

as far as im aware i dont think they have alist of stuff that isnt genuine that has been fitted onto your car

cus if it comes down tot it just change it back before you take it to them when the motor blows

the best thing to do is call toyota and ask to speak to the warranty officer and tell him what you wanna do and ask what exactly doesit viod

he doesnt need to know wh you are

also for your own peace of mind fit it after the service just to be sure

as far as im aware i dont think they have alist of stuff that isnt genuine that has been fitted onto your car

cus if it comes down tot it just change it back before you take it to them when the motor blows

the best thing to do is call toyota and ask to speak to the warranty officer and tell him what you wanna do and ask what exactly doesit viod

he doesnt need to know wh you are

also for your own peace of mind fit it after the service just to be sure

Even if something happen to your car, they would have to say the CAI and Exhaust are a direct causes of this to void ur warranty

not always thats like saying changing the cd player viods your motor

cus the whole car initially starts the the electrics and the starter motor is electric which can be affected by the cd player then it cld do something wrong when starting the motor and blow that up to

so somehow i dont think it is a simple as that if you have a CAT back system it doesnt void your motor warranty ( well i dont think anyways)

i wanna put a sports steering on so your saying if i crash cus the shocks and springs somehow fall out and the passenger bag doesnt go off then the whole car is viod due to the sports wheel affecting the air bags capabilities

not having a go im just trying to make clear what im saying thats all

:D

techincally, if you cut into your stereo loom and screw something up which fries the ECU etc, the electrical warranty is void because you have cut into the factory loom.

Cat-back and CAI will effect the AFR, so technically is possible to void the engine warranty by leaning it out etc. This was an issue on subaru's with the APS CAI, as they would run lean and blow motors if the corresponding AFR tuning was not carried out in association with the CAI....

And Toyota do have the facilities to keep track of mods done to cars when they come in for service/warranty work according to one of their Mechanics I associate with on a regular basis.

with a generic OBD2 scan tool like a snapon unit, or even toyota's scanner they use, you can monitor everything the ECU is doing in real-time. It plugs into the diags port in the car, and you can monitor ignition advance, injector duty, water and air temps, knock and knock correction, etc etc etc. Basically, anything the ECU can read, you can monitor.

The ecu does have knock compensation built in, which retards the ignition timing when excessive knock is detected, but it really is an eye opener to sit and datalog the engine focusing on the knock readings and seeing how much knock it actually takes before the ecu pulls the timing.

Knock and detonation are what will kill your motors, unless you over-rev them first ;)

ok what exactly is KNOCK

since i put my zorst on my motor seems to be tapping well it always did but now its louder and a little more often

it could possibly be the exhaust tapping but this will be checked out next saturday

so i just wanna know what should i be doing to get my motor looked at to make sure its still in tune and not about to blow without spending big bucks

cheers

ok what exactly is KNOCK

since i put my zorst on my motor seems to be tapping well it always did but now its louder and a little more often

it could possibly be the exhaust tapping but this will be checked out next saturday

so i just wanna know what should i be doing to get my motor looked at to make sure its still in tune and not about to blow without spending big bucks

cheers

Justin if you'v got some spare cash get a Unichip and have the car tuned on a dyno. Currently your AFRs and timing will all be out of whack (not optimal), happens with intake and exhaust mods ;)

hmmm i would love to get a chip and tune but im looking at around $700 fitted and tuned arent i

also where would a good place to go for this package keep in mind im in penrith or the western suburbs area to make it easier

i sorta dont have that kinda cash just laying around LOL

oh and as for your comment early ROLLAMODS about the stereo loom i never really looked at it that way so i guess they can void your warranty for almost anything no matter how far away it is from the parts

sorry mate everyone just ignore what i said just before that post LOL

Edited by evl_50a

hmmm i would love to get a chip and tune but im looking at around $700 fitted and tuned arent i

also where would a good place to go for this package keep in mind im in penrith or the western suburbs area to make it easier

i sorta dont have that kinda cash just laying around LOL

oh and as for your comment early ROLLAMODS about the stereo loom i never really looked at it that way so i guess they can void your warranty for almost anything no matter how far away it is from the parts

sorry mate everyone just ignore what i said just before that post LOL

$700 FOR UNICHIP TUNED AND FITTED??WHERE AND WHEN??

gees mate i dont know im asking you guys

im pretty certain i typed it in question form as if to say i dont know the price so what is it and where is a good place to go for it

thats what im trying to say

i didnt say it IS $700 is said ISNT it as if to say i dont know

:) cheers

i have access to the snap-on scanner if anyone in melb wants their car scanned call me.

have talked to toyota mechanic in melb and in their workshop they have rebuilt 2 sportivo engines as internally something has blown and these cars were stock.

if you are worried you can always take your car for the service elsewhere so long as they can stamp and use genuine parts you should be covered by toyota warranty.

Edited by kcorro

Kcorro, I've read in the UK CAR mag reports of timing belts breaking on the 2zz-ge's at high revs...maybe the same thing.

I've also read up on US forums that some who've fitted CAI's have experienced knocking. According to them it was almost undetectable but it was there, so not enough to kill the motors immediately but enough to cause long term damage.

Just something to look out for when putting in your CAI.

I'll bet there's a lot of knocking unichipped cars out there... You need to advance the timing to get decent power gains out of the na motors, just adjusting the AFR wont do much. Optimally the car should be tuned with the scan tool connected so you can monitor the knock when you make changes.

i mean will they keep a record that i have intake and exhaust just in case my engine blows up down the track so they wont have to pay for it, coz intake an exhaust voids the engine warranty i heard.

Hey Bangn

Personally I would leave off your CAI and exaust until after your service. As we all know car dealers are a dodgy mob, and I wouldnt put it past them that they would make a list of what you have done to the car, to kick your **** later.

take it easy

yeah that would be your safest bet get it in for your service then get it installed atleast if anything goes wrong within the next 10,000kms you can take it off and put the old stuff back on to maek sure your covered

BUT it would be a pain in the **** to change it back every srvice so just worry about it this once then after that leave it