Lowering the Aurion

Steven

I've done a search and seen there's plenty of threads about people lowering their Aurion's on here, but very little in the way of specific information for those who would like to do so.

First of all this isn't a how to guide. If you aren't comfortable swapping your springs over and have the proper tools (spring compressors etc) then you're better off getting a shop to do the work for you. At the same time though the swap is very straight forward.

Using my 2007 Aurion ZR6 as an example, I picked up a set of King Springs second hand and fitted them with the help (did most of the work) of DJKOR.

King give an idea of an average overall drop of roughly 30 to 35mm. Although I can't comment on different models of Aurion, on My ZR6 Sportivo I found the had the following.

Front Arch. Ground to top of arch stock = 692mm. After swap = 662mm. About 30mm

Rear Arch. Before to top of arch = 690mm. After swap = 640mm. A much larger 50mm drop!

This actually has the effect of the car sitting fairly level, but can cause scrubbing issues depending on your wheel/tyre combo.

The wheels I am running are 18x8 at a 40+ offset, with 245/45 tyres. The test drive after fitting found bad scrubbing at the rear and some slight at the front. With stock wheels/tyres you would likely be fine however in my case I needed to pump the front guards and get the back guards rolled professionally. Even then I still on odd occasion get some scrubbing from the back but it is rare and overall the car is without issue.

There is a noticeable loss in ride comfort. You WILL feel every bump more than before but as the car's centre of gravity is now lower is feels more stable when cornering. Quality shocks still contribute here and changing to more suitable lowered shock absorbers is recommended after lowering down the track. If you have a sportivo/TRD you can get away with the standard shocks, but might find non-sportivo shocks might wear a bit quicker.

I won't go into difficulties getting around town with a lowered car, but be aware it does require you to think ahead and take some parts at an angle (if not avoided entirely).

Hope this helps anyone planning on lowering their Aurion.

For reference, Steven has used Superlow springs which explains the loss in ride quality. Low springs will give you all the gains of lowering (handling wise) with little compromise in ride quality; but you'll only lower the car by about half of what Steven's dropped.

For reference, Steven has used Superlow springs which explains the loss in ride quality. Low springs will give you all the gains of lowering (handling wise) with little compromise in ride quality; but you'll only lower the car by about half of what Steven's dropped.

Common misconception here. There is only one form of drop for the Aurion out of the King Springs catalogue. This is a "LOW" drop (catalogue here).

What has happened here is that King Springs have used the "SUPER LOW" springs from other model Toyota's (specifically the Gen 4 Camry) and applied them to the Aurion marketing them as a "LOW" spring due to the resulting drop, even though the part numbers are a "SUPER LOW" variety. You can't actually get an off-the-shelf solution from King Springs that does a "SUPER LOW" drop for the Aurion (King Super Low and Ultra Low catalogue here).

Edit: Some of this discussion was done here:

Aurion ZR6 King Springs difference in Codes?

Common misconception here. There is only one form of drop for the Aurion out of the King Springs catalogue. This is a "LOW" drop (catalogue here).

What has happened here is that King Springs have used the "SUPER LOW" springs from other model Toyota's (specifically the Gen 4 Camry) and applied them to the Aurion marketing them as a "LOW" spring due to the resulting drop, even though the part numbers are a "SUPER LOW" variety. You can't actually get an off-the-shelf solution from King Springs that does a "SUPER LOW" drop for the Aurion (King Super Low and Ultra Low catalogue here).

Edit: Some of this discussion was done here:

Aurion ZR6 King Springs difference in Codes?

Oh Jesus, that's right. I'd HATE to feel what superlows on an Aurion would be like. Custom springs from Kings is not cheap at all.

King give an idea of an average overall drop of roughly 30 to 35mm. Although I can't comment on different models of Aurion, on My ZR6 Sportivo I found the had the following.

Front Arch. Ground to top of arch stock = 692mm. After swap = 662mm. About 30mm

Rear Arch. Before to top of arch = 690mm. After swap = 640mm. A much larger 50mm drop!

I just measured mine which is an AT-X fitted with King springs and found the fronts sit at 672mm and the rear at 645mm. I thought the front would have been lower as it does look a little high but i didnt take before measurements so I have nothing to compare the drop to.

I probably should mention I'm using the spring set for the 2007 Toyota Camry from the King's catalog. The rear springs are the same as the Aurion version, but the front's I believe are a tad lower, so make up for the implied lower front end weight (despite the fact they all use the same springs from factory).