Plasti-Dip Troubleshooting !

jeffy

Need some help guys, or to whoever has done the badges before, :help: :help:

am i doing it wrong or something ? because its not turning out the way i wanted to,

here are the photos:

Started off with a brand new chrome badge all cleaned and off the grille

imag0336u.jpg

First coating done, dried it for about 1 hr, (can said 30 mins but i did an hour cos i was playing games :ph34r: )

also i did this on a flat surface (horizontal)

imag0337c.jpg

Did two coats for this one, didnt really take another shot because it looks exactly like the 1st one all shiny, waited another hour to dry and it ended up looking like this .... :blink:

imag0338o.jpg

Okayyy.. so then it obviously doesnt look proper at all, so i took my old one that has been sanded down with the chrome bits off with 400 paper, and also sprayed this vertically, (thought it wouldve made a difference) that was also the 1st coat and dried for also an hour.

imag0339h.jpg

Here is the comparison between the two,

left one was the 1st one sprayed horizontally (not that it makes a difference i think) 2 coats.

right one was vertically, but only sprayed with one. and it almost has the simillar effects even though its been sanded down.

imag0340.jpg

Now the can said do 3-4 coats, i stopped at 2 coats to avoid what maybe a waste.

Here is the result of the 2nd badge (sanded one done vertically) after the second coat. I stopped again as soon as those little grooves and cracks showed up.

imag0341oz.jpg

Questions come to my mind.

-am i drying it for too long ?

-should i be spraying only 1 coat ?

-is there some sort of primer im supposed to use?

*and many more but only these are what i could think of as i type this*

ive been looking at the pics at the plastidip thread and mine doesnt look like anything compared to those ones :(

Any help/opinions/suggestions would be great. :D

Thanks all !

-jeffy :]

Agree. I havent used it but looks like way too thick application. Inital layer should be very very light to tack off the surface. Perhaps excessive drying times also creating a pull on the previous layer. No need for sanding, thats the whole point. If you've sanded you may as well use matt black paint now.

Agree. I havent used it but looks like way too thick application. Inital layer should be very very light to tack off the surface. Perhaps excessive drying times also creating a pull on the previous layer. No need for sanding, thats the whole point. If you've sanded you may as well use matt black paint now.

ive sanded it ages ago, then you found this :D !

soo i jst tried it... ive got a heavy finger :( !

ill try and go lightly with it the next days,..

thx guys,

If it were me I'd peel it all off so you have your chrome badge and start again. As others have said, light coats with shorter times between coats.

If it were me I'd peel it all off so you have your chrome badge and start again. As others have said, light coats with shorter times between coats.

X2. Peel off and start again with less finger pressure. On a side note I'll be getting 4 cans soon for a little project :o

hahas, all cool guys, and thanks, jst spent the past couple of hours fixing it, and eating dinner... mmm... :P

anywhoo....

imag0343z.jpg

success !! :yahoo:

pressed it very lightly and shazzamm.. magic :ph34r:

haha congrats Jeffy. I kinda got that effect to on my front badge cos i put too many coats on without leaving enough time :P impatient <_<

awesome stuff jeffy! gotta love the reversibility. screw up once, just peel and do it again :lol:

thanks to you too ! you hooked me up with with that $25 guy :spiteful: ;)

i ordered two more ! :P !

WOWZAAA that's cheap!! $25 for a guy :yahoo: and and if you don't do it right the first time, after it dries just strip it and try again!? damn Victoria sounds like the $h!t ahhaaah

:ph34r:

i think i should go to sleep now...