Rain Sensing Wipers

Eaglemist

I have a 2011 ZR6 and the wipers are supposed to wipe the screen if it is wet once you turn the ignition on. Doesn't seem to work too well if I come out of the pub on a Friday night and it's been raining. I usually get fed up after 500metres or so and give them a help by washing the screen. Adjusting the sensitivity doesn't seem to help and there is no mention of rain sensing wipers in the 'WW' pdf!

I'm just curious, as I will mention it when it goes in for the 15k service next month. They seem to work normally depending on rain pattern. I gave them my 'watering can' test and they failed!

Apart from a new sensor, any ideas?

I have a 2011 ZR6 and the wipers are supposed to wipe the screen if it is wet once you turn the ignition on. Doesn't seem to work too well if I come out of the pub on a Friday night and it's been raining. I usually get fed up after 500metres or so and give them a help by washing the screen. Adjusting the sensitivity doesn't seem to help and there is no mention of rain sensing wipers in the 'WW' pdf!

I'm just curious, as I will mention it when it goes in for the 15k service next month. They seem to work normally depending on rain pattern. I gave them my 'watering can' test and they failed!

Which part of the windscreen did you apply your "watering can" test on? If it ain't hititng the sensor, it ain't gonna auto-wipe.

I find the rain sensor isn't much good if there's only light rain/drizzle. You'll still need to manually hit the switch to wipe the windscreen.

Other times it'll keep wiping even though there's no more rain. It's almost as if I'm driving through a phantom shower.

BTW, everything is as delivered from Factory. Original windscreen, etc.

I think rain sensing wipers are only an aid, and should never replace driver intervention and discretion as to whether or not the windscreen needs to be cleared or not.

Which part of the windscreen did you apply your "watering can" test on? If it ain't hititng the sensor, it ain't gonna auto-wipe.

I find the rain sensor isn't much good if there's only light rain/drizzle. You'll still need to manually hit the switch to wipe the windscreen.

Other times it'll keep wiping even though there's no more rain. It's almost as if I'm driving through a phantom shower.

BTW, everything is as delivered from Factory. Original windscreen, etc.

I think rain sensing wipers are only an aid, and should never replace driver intervention and discretion as to whether or not the windscreen needs to be cleared or not.

Thanks DJKOR & Beep Beep (I think I would have watered the sensor...). Looks like one to leave to the dealer. I'm not going to fiddle with the sensor. It's actually hard to see through the windscreen where the sensor is mounted - can't tell if there is any tape or not.

The sensor is at the top centre of the windscreen next the rear view mirror. If the rain sensor tape is missing, the sensor will look very clear. The tape, which is essential for the sensor to work, is slightly opaque.

I posted some pics in tis previous post about the same issue.

Hopes this helps/

The sensor is at the top centre of the windscreen next the rear view mirror. If the rain sensor tape is missing, the sensor will look very clear. The tape, which is essential for the sensor to work, is slightly opaque.

I posted some pics in tis previous post about the same issue.

http://au.toyotaowne...__1#entry421624

Hopes this helps/

Thanks for that - I will have look in the daylight tomorrow. as I can't see anything from the front, chances are the tape is there. It just doesn't work as well as I think it should!

Doesn't seem to work too well if I come out of the pub on a Friday night and it's been raining.

There's your issue ... the sensor doesn't pick up static water, it activates based on water impacting the windscreen.

I get the same thing parked at work on a wet day, but once I get going it isn't a problem.

Doesn't seem to work too well if I come out of the pub on a Friday night and it's been raining.

There's your issue ... the sensor doesn't pick up static water, it activates based on water impacting the windscreen.

I get the same thing parked at work on a wet day, but once I get going it isn't a problem.

I quote from the Aurion handbook: 'As soon as the vehicle starts to move, the wiper will operate once to clear the driver's front view if it is set to AUTO when it rains.' And it doesn't do it.

That is what this post is all about.

'the wiper will operate once to clear the driver's front view if it is set to AUTO when it rains.'

The way I read that is that it must be raining to perform this operation.

Was it raining at the time you got into the car?

'the wiper will operate once to clear the driver's front view if it is set to AUTO when it rains.'

The way I read that is that it must be raining to perform this operation.

Was it raining at the time you got into the car?

Yes.

Yes.

Sorry, I misunderstood, thinking it had stopped raining.

Is it only the very first wipe that you have the issue with (like I occasionally get), or does it continue for the whole drive? If it continues, report to your dealer.

The delay in wiping I get after being parked in the rain is due to the film of water absorbing the light rain drops so the sensor doesn't detect the rain as well as it does after the first wipe (the sensor is under the swept area of the wiper blades), after which all is well.

On a side note, I have never seen the difference when using the +/- sensitivity adjustment for auto.

Yes.

Sorry, I misunderstood, thinking it had stopped raining.

Is it only the very first wipe that you have the issue with (like I occasionally get), or does it continue for the whole drive? If it continues, report to your dealer.

The delay in wiping I get after being parked in the rain is due to the film of water absorbing the light rain drops so the sensor doesn't detect the rain as well as it does after the first wipe (the sensor is under the swept area of the wiper blades), after which all is well.

On a side note, I have never seen the difference when using the +/- sensitivity adjustment for auto.

I had the feeling it was something to do with refraction and the water film being like 'normal' glass. Maybe I expect too much of my technology!