Wing Mirror - Build Quality

Beep Beep

Hi All,

Just thought I'd relate to you an experience I had yesterday.

I was stopped at a set of traffic lights waiting to turn right when a numpty on a sportbike clipped my LHS wing mirror while lanesplitting. It was a full on solid whack because I saw the wing mirror violently flip forwards then back into position.

The gimp on the bike lost control, braked hard and the bike bumped into the back of a Hertz rental truck and the rider headbutted the back of it. Rider was ok and everyone drove around him and the truck to leave both to sort themselves out.

Anyway, I was friggin ****** off about the mirror, but when I got home to survey the damage, the only damage was a slightly cracked indicator lense !!! :blink: See photos attached.:yahoo:

I guess it's a case of instant karma. The bike rider clipped my mirror, but it threw him off balance and now he's damaged his pretty bike, banged his head on a rental truck, and has to deal with a very angry looking maori dude as well.

LOL

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!! :toast::yahoo:

BB

PS. Got off the phone with City Toyota in Northbridge. They reckon it'll cost $70 or less to fix, this includes new part and labour to fit. :lol:

post-21620-0-02007800-1318827786_thumb.j

post-21620-0-90833900-1318827795_thumb.j

Edited by Beep Beep

Why don't you just get it replaced under insurance for free?

Motorbike rider at fault so no problems there on your side.

I could claim it off insurance, but I would've been up for the $500 excess because I didn't get complete details of the bike rider. Apparently the registration number isn't enough anymore. I gotta get his full name, D/L number, postal address etc. Sheesh... bloody insurance companies.

Anyway, no big deal. $37 for the indicator lens and about $30 for fitting... can't really complain.

If I could be half ar$ed, I suppose I could fit the new indicator lens myself (via the instructions on the forum) and only spend $37 for the part.

But I won't cause it's a novated lease vehicle and this stuff is covered under the lease.

BB

Edited by Beep Beep

Yeah i concur they are tuff....i whacked mine fairly hard and thought the worst,but on inspection there was a little scuff that i polished out :D

as for other cars the BF Ford ute at work seems to be made of egg shells,one of the guys dropped a rake and the rake handle landed on the top of the mirror,it smashed the mirror glass and left a crack on top of the outter casing,lol a rake handle :lol:

You'll find a lot of mirrors will break when hit vertically or directly to the glass but be fine if side-swiped - they're designed to pivot when hit from the front or back but there is no freedom of movement in the other directions.

Yeah i concur they are tuff....i whacked mine fairly hard and thought the worst,but on inspection there was a little scuff that i polished out :D

as for other cars the BF Ford ute at work seems to be made of egg shells,one of the guys dropped a rake and the rake handle landed on the top of the mirror,it smashed the mirror glass and left a crack on top of the outter casing,lol a rake handle :lol:

Yeah, I know what you mean. Even the Holden Sportswagon I used to drive was flimsy as hell. You'd dent the panels if you knew where to aim your fart. dry.gif .