I import Toyota Estima 2001 v6 3L- Toyota dealers in Sydney can't help me

Hi there would graciously appreciate your help, it appears no dealerships in SYDNEY can read the engine diagnosis computer on my Estima.

They all say their scanner spits out rubbish, and will not read Japanese import vehicles. The software is different.

The engine warning light came on just after the car was serviced at NRMA.

What now? Surely someone can help?

The van was bought in QLD privately and I was assured as it is a Camry engine that it could be serviced locally.

Appears this is not the case :(

Type your full VIN into this website. It should give you info on what motor is fitted to your Estima. I don't know if it will be useful but you may find the part number for the ECU as well. This in turn may lead you to which other vehicles use that particular one.

www.epcdata.com

www.toyodiy.com may also be useful in identifying which vehicles it was fitted to.

Have you been back to NRMA who serviced the car and explain what has happened, and what did they actually do?

Is there a possibility that following a service there is some type of reset button/plug that needs to be activated, being a import from Japan.

New Zealand imports vehicles from Japan, maybe contact Toyota NZ for their view or advice on the problem.

Thanks for all the quick replies ..

Such a great resource this site.

FYI

- Called Toyota dealership in Auckland and Toyota NZ, have a scanner that they lend out to dealerships over there .. but apparantly no such thing exists here. The Mechanic in NZ said to be fair - it is not that helpful as it spits info out in Japanese !!

Go Figure.

- Lexus said their scanners are the same as the ones Toyota have. :(

- Will look at the website recommended above to get info on my engine type.

- NRMA said that nothing that they did would have caused the fault. I tend to believe them, they only changed the oil, oil filter and air Filter. Off to an Auto Electrician recommended by NRMA today, to see if they have any luck.

Such a friggin shame this is happening - I really love the vehicle, drives well and for $19,000 it's a third of the price of the Australian

Tarago "Ultima".

You may be able to read the code by shorting the TE1 and E1 if its toyota DLC (round connector)

or between terminals 4 and 13 if its OBD II.

This will blink the check engine light to show the code, only problem is you will need to find a workshop manual to decipher the code.

UPDATE

Ok - The NRMA approved Auto Electrician at Mt Pritchard was able to get into the ECU and diagnosed the fault to

one of two O2 sensors. The rear sensor in the exhaust is faulty.

That's the good news - BAD news over $250 for after market replacement plus the $77 for diagnostics.

HUGE stress relief knowing there is someone here in Sydney that can read the bloody thing.

Thanks to all here who have taken the time to reply. :) :)

UPDATE

Ok - The NRMA approved Auto Electrician at Mt Pritchard was able to get into the ECU and diagnosed the fault to

one of two O2 sensors. The rear sensor in the exhaust is faulty.

That's the good news - BAD news over $250 for after market replacement plus the $77 for diagnostics.

HUGE stress relief knowing there is someone here in Sydney that can read the bloody thing.

Thanks to all here who have taken the time to reply. :) :)

If that's fitted, that's not too bad of a price. the OX sensors would be between $50-100 each.

Pleased that you were able to find the cause of the problem. My other suggestion would have been to try and get a Tarago ECU to plug in temporarily to read the codes.

Pleased that you were able to find the cause of the problem. My other suggestion would have been to try and get a Tarago ECU to plug in temporarily to read the codes.

Except that there's no such thing as a 3.0L V6 Tarago.