GIO Claim Linking up to NRMA

Anyone with GIO have experience dealing with NRMA?

I am with GIO and my car was reversed into by someone with NRMA and we exchanged details. Other other driver believes it was my fault even though she had reversed into me.

After the accident I contacted GIO and went through the usual details, informed them that I was not at fault and provided minimal details as to the accident. GIO has since sent a letter to the other driver telling her a claim was made and she is at fault. GIO called me yesterday regarding the time it would take to fix my car and I asked if the claims had linked up yet but they informed me that they had not.

My question is, should I expect the same letter from NRMA if she has put in a claim? And, how long should it take for GIO/NRMA to link up the claims?

I am worried that she is going to lie regarding the accident and delay the process and I wonder if she has even made a claim at all.

Sounds like one story against the others. First thing you did not do (maybe other driver did) was to go to the police to report the accident (unless you did and forgot to mention it). If GIO believes you are not at fault, why aren't they repairing your car and let the procedure take it's course in claiming against other driver(NRMA).

If other driver has contacted NRMA, they probably advised NRMA that you were at fault. This can delay the process, and possibility that each will have to make a claim to your own insurarance company to repair your own damage.

Edited by Ozzcaddy

I see these sort of problems almost on a daily basis...

Like what ozzcaddy said, most likely each party will have to pay for their own repairs. Which sucks >_<" because it wasn't your fault.

For future references, file a police report, try to catch witness(s) to the incident (important).

Wish you good luck!

You didnt file a police report Bro..? I think this is what you should've done if neither wants to take the blame. Try to contact GIO asap would be the best solution. And logically, it shouldn't take longer than 3 working days, if both parties have each filed a claim. If not, it could take longer, hence contact ur insurer asap.

Thanks guys.

The car is currently in the process of getting repaired.. GIO is under the firm belief that even though she thinks I am at fault that she will end up wearing all the cost because she was reversing. I have pictures of both cars and it is obvious from the pictures that she is at fault.

I regret not going to the police now but when I called the local police station I was told by two officers that the police do not get involved with an accidence unless other property was damaged or a person is injured.

I will contact GIO again and relay that I am concerned that she is trying to pin it on me.

The Police mainly don't get called out or involved unless someone has been injured or the damage is more then $1,000 ( that figure could now be higher). But if you actually go to the Police Station, they will make a report to say so and what had occurred, they will not investigate. I'm surprise the Insurance company did not ask you that question of reporting to Police. Anyway, good luck and hope it all works out in your favour.

Thanks Ozzcaddy. I think things have changed in that the police want no part of claims aslong as both cars are drivable, no one is hurt and their is no third party damage (signs, walls, cars of other people not present).

I called GIO today again and the claim still has not linked up. They informed me that this was not unusual and that I should not be concerned at this point.

Just for my own piece of mind in knowing what I should do if involved in a minor accident, I did some searching and came across this on the NSW Government Lawlink website.

8. I was in an accident but no one was hurt. Do I have to report the accident to the police?

You should call the Police Assistance Line (PAL) (131 444) if you were involved in a minor motor vehicle crash.

A minor motor vehicle crash is an accident where:

no vehicles needed to be towed from the scene of the accident

no one was hurt

each of the drivers provided their details at the scene

none of the drivers was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Web link: http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/LawAccess/ll_lawassist.nsf/pages/lawassist_what_to_do_after_an_accident_frequently_asked_questions

The above relates to NSW, other States may be different.