Nick G's ZRE152 JDM Auris!

KPaz

Hey Pete! (Wow so many Pete's on this ZRE forum lol!)

I found a seller who had his rpf1's on for a day and took them of due to not fitting his brake caliper.

He's offering the rpf1's in matte black, 17x8 +45 (4 rims for $1000 + personally delivering to my door from ACT)

He said +35 can be achieved with 10mm spacers -> is this a good buy? He said he has spacers which he can throw in...

Do you know if spacers affect handling etc. ? :S Is is just as good as +35 if u get +45 with 10mm spacers?

Cheers!

Nick

PS. Haha yeah I had been reading for quite a while and PM'ing a few popular members for advice -> waited till I had a sufficiently decent ZRE to put up to start my intermediate build thread!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was keen to know if the premium brands (Micheln PS3 and Bridgestone Potenza) really live up to the value that they are priced at!

I can say for Potenza s001... yes they do especially in the wet where it counts.

Considered Pirelli P Zeros or Advan Sport?

Yes, too many Pete's! :lol:

Up to you if you want spacers; they are technically illegal here in Australia. It depends what you do with your car. Are you doing it more for looks? If so, up to you once again (being illegal) but it should be okay if you're just cruising around. For the track, I would advise not getting.

Personally, I would never use them as they change the geometry of the suspension and you can never 100% trust the quality of the spacers. :)

@Domo: Am just saving up for rims atm, so was hoping for some good tyres that are good value for money rather than just paying the premium brand? :P I guess no more than $1000 for some good tyres? :P

@Pete: Would mainly be getting the spacers for the looks with the guards, don't plan on going to the tracks.. but not sure of the safety of spacers and stress they may put on the wheel/bearings? Also... might not be suitable for the occasional sporty street driving ;)

Edited by KPaz

Hey guys,

Was looking at my rolla and was wondering if you all think the rear wheel arch gap is too big? :S

I currently have lovells lows on the fronts and rears, I had previously had lovells superlows on the rears but I ended up scraping on alot of bumps in shopping centres and areas etc. (not sure if it's the metal under the side skirts or whether is it my large xforce twinloop muffler... )

That being said, was wondering what you guys think? Should I:

A) Leave current setup with Lovells Lows F + R ??

B) Change setup to Lovells Lows (F) and Superlows ® ??

C) Change over to coilovers ??

Coilovers obviously look the best, but springs would save me the money (as I already have all of them, lows and superlows).

Springs I heard are also more of a comfier ride over the coilovers, and ride comfort is a big thing for me personally. Also, where do scraping issues come into play here? :S

Thanks in advance for the feedback guys! :D

the rear sits higher on the rolla's from stock, so putting superlows in the rear would definitely make it level. your car isnt low enough to be scraping a lot, just angle your car across certain bumps that you are unsure of. i never have to angle my car and we have about the same height, only difference being your exhaust and lip but yea..

Hey Seb,

Thanks for the feedback - I'm not sure if my exhaust would play any part in the rear scraping (it's quite excruciating!) , as everytime I scraped I thought I heard the exhaust/muffler scraping. My lip is fine, not an issue at all :)

However when I put the car up on the hoist and checked, there were no scratches or scrapes on the muffler at all... so it must have been the metal lining/plate thing that sits just under the side skirts?

Hmm the ride would definitely look much better wth superlows, however my next issue would be with regarding shock travel, as I was told that the stock shocks can withstand a 30mm drop, but superlows on the rears give about an easy 60mm drop :S I am not sure, but I may have recalled getting some minimal bounce in the rear due to the superlows at the back? :S

Not sure :S

what about getting your rear lows reset? thats what i have. its not bouncy at all and its a 50mm drop at the rear. keep in mind that i am definitely getting coils at some stage but for now the shocks are holding up fine.

Hmm, I will consider doing that. Have the rear springs sagged or anything? :S

Also with coilovers, is alot of the ride comfort sacrificed? .. because I am also possibly considered some of the pedders xa extreme coilovers hmmm..

I'm on same boat with you man running lows & super lows. Sits level but got custom exhaust done (blast pipes) & modellista front lip. Don't have too many troubles with front scraping except my driveway, uni & few driveways otherwise it's fine! But the rear.. LOL. It'll be your exhaust if it's loud & you'll hear the metal. Only option is either literally brake/roll over very slow or try angle. Can get quite annoying :( Think I did some damage to mine @ parra westfields car park.

lows/superlows are fine unless you really want to sit flush or go tracking but then going lower will only cause more dramas :(

Nice progress btw! Cars looking good

@Brendan: Hey nice to meet you too! Am admiring your blue headlights! :P hehe. Well I HAD lows front and superlow rears, but back kept scraping (front was fine), so I ended up putting lows on the rear. I liked the look of the drop of the superlows, but the scraping just didn't do it for me :(

Not sure if I should put it down to superlows later when I get 17" rims, or should I keep it with lows on the rears? (do you think lows on the rears still looks ok atm? :)

@Pete: The stock shocks are pretty good atm and seem to be holding up :D but it's more that the rear is scraping, I don't know where though, because I put the car up on a hoist and the exhaust/muffler is completely clean! Unscathed. So somewhere towards the rear is scraping when I'm on superlows on the rear (possibly the metal part below the side skirts?).. What do you make of my current lows on the rear setup? Does it still look pretty 4WD spec in comparison to what superlows would offer?

Coilovers let's you adjust the bump and rebound. However, low to mid range coilovers only allow you to adjust them simultaneously.

More convenient coilovers for you would be Teins with the EDC control unit. Let's you electronically adjust the damper settings to soft or hard at the press of a button. Other coilovers do not have this as you are required to jump out of your car and adjust each damper knob manually.

If your going down the coilover path, make sure you get ones with camber plates. Let's you adjust the camber to +/- degree settings.

I have Pedders extreme XA in my ZZE but with custom camber plate tops, as they do not have it as a factory option. My coilovers have been post customized by Centreline Suspension.

Le.vinh.zr has the teins with EDC installed in his ZRE if you want to know more about the ride comfort. Teins generally have a softer ride comfort compared to other coilovers.

It sounds like it's the metal bracket just below the fuel tank. Have you had a look?

I agree with Rowell above; coilovers that you need to manually adjust are sometimes annoying (if you keep changing it to suit). The teins are definitely firm but are relatively comfortable. The EDC is a bonus and definitely makes it a lot easier and convenient; they are however, more dear (of course). I can vouch as I have driven/been in Vinh's car. :)

Pete: I will check the bracket under the fuel tank - if that seems to be fairly fine, then I will most likely consider reinstalling the superlows on the rears. What do you make of restting springs however?

Domo: I have considered the pedders xa xtrme coilovers, however $$$ is holding me back atm until I start work again in a month's time! :(

Hey Jonno!

Cheers man :) Yeah modding takes up alot of money lol, glad you joined the forums :) You should check around and see what the other members have done to their cars, there are some really amazing ones out there! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys!

It's been a while since put up some pics, so here are some day shots I took after giving the car a clean! :)

post-26715-0-00427400-1335799764_thumb.jpost-26715-0-89779200-1335799771_thumb.jpost-26715-0-71120800-1335799778_thumb.jpost-26715-0-07703000-1335799786_thumb.j

What have I done? :D

- JDM Slim Weathershields

- Auris Badge added

- JDM Smoked tinted tail lights finally arrived after 2 months of waiting!

- White Slim Number plates, keeping stock numbers (not personalized)

post-26715-0-37811800-1335799793_thumb.jpost-26715-0-22923800-1335799801_thumb.jpost-26715-0-81590700-1335799813_thumb.jpost-26715-0-62396800-1335799822_thumb.jpost-26715-0-18084800-1335799831_thumb.j

To be installed within the next few days:

- Levin Rear Spoiler with smoked tint/black chrome brakelight (fits in with the rest of the JDM style)

- Modellista Front Lip (finally has been painted, just needs to be installed)

- White LED Number plate lamps

Night shots before I got my white number plates from the RTA!

post-26715-0-79658300-1335799843_thumb.jpost-26715-0-68242300-1335799852_thumb.j

Let me know what you guys think! I think the Black/blue scheme is working out really well surprisingly! :) I'm really happy with what I've done so far! Still more to do in the future though! :P

Edited by KPaz