Engine noise sounds a little ominous

HI all,

On Sunday I suddenly noticed some noise that seemed to come from behind the drivers footwell and its not nice :( . Its a very rattly clackety noise that is almost silent at idle, and obviously louder at high revs. Engine itself isnt running rough, oil seems fine, although may need a change soon anyway.

I've heard the VVT noise online, and while I hope it could be that, I can't really decide what it may be.

- Driven again tonight, sounds more like a truck in the vid than it actually does

http://youtu.be/CAQ4TDBtJuk

- no load, Park, revving

http://youtu.be/3IJ_F1H6fEs

I wasn't driving hard at the time or beforehand (as I was off to market, you see...lol), in fact I've been on a nanna mission and tried to economise to see how low the readout can get (9.0l/100 in busy suburbia is good)

So guys ... I'd love to know what you think I'm looking at with this.

SOLVED

Hey guys,

One overlooked issue is the steering intermediate shaft rubber boot. Its next to the brake pedal and sometimes easly kicked, so when its kick the boot can come loose from the housing for the boot.

Obviously when this boot is opened engine revs can be heard from inside the cabin and sounds similar to what you were saying Johnny Mash

I hope this helps!

Regards Boondy

Edited by Johnny Mash

If it makes a difference, I used BP Ultimate for the first time , maybe used 1/4 tank of it.

Actually the description of the sound it isnt too different to what is described here (but I just dont cant believe it is normal)

First video I can't hear anything out of the ordinary. Particular sounds can be hard to notice though when recorded, especially when you haven't heard them before, so I can't hear what exactly you were referring to in this one.

Second video.... still can't hear anything out of the ordinary. It does sound a little louder than typical, but I have noticed that these engines tend to make a little more noise the older they get. My TRD definitely has that engine noise a little more than it did when I first got it... and that with changing to a slightly thicker oil (0W-40 vs 5W-30). I definitely wouldn't say it is out of the ordinary, but maybe it might be wise just in case to have it checked by someone who is more mechanically minded.

Think that sounds bad though. Pop the hood of a newer generation Mazda and have a listen. Those things sound bad.

Also, when the VVT-i controller starts to fail, it is typically only during engine startup. It's the locking pin that is the common point of failure and is noticeable due to lack of oil pressure in the controller during start-up. They can fail in other ways though, but that's the most common one with these cars.

something which can seem to make a ticking noise is a slight leak in the exhaust system.

Otherwise the injection system in the Aurion's is a very loud ticking noise, as well as the VVTi controller as stated above.

Its not much of a ticking as it is a 'taff'ing, but there is some noise that I wondered if it was a vac line. I've inspected them and all seem fine. It would be on the rear bank, and may be ejecting gas toward the cabin wall

Hey guys,

One overlooked issue is the steering intermediate shaft rubber boot. Its next to the brake pedal and sometimes easly kicked, so when its kick the boot can come loose from the housing for the boot.

Obviously when this boot is opened engine revs can be heard from inside the cabin and sounds similar to what you were saying Johnny Mash

I hope this helps!

Regards Boondy

Edited by Boondy

I'll check it out Boondy, cos I think I (oops) had a foot up behind here on a long cruise.

It does literally sound like the engine is on the wrong side of the bulkhead!

Well I'll be....

i9hRB.jpg

Looks like that cable tie is largely ineffective.

Oh hello outside world!

IOSee.gif

This popping out would lead to the suddenness of the noise appearing out of nowhere. I'm about to test how this goes!

Just came back from a short trip and wow what a difference. The engine is on the right side (outside) of the cabin now! lol

The gap the steering int shaft passes through aims down at the road, picking up all that noise too.

Boondy you're a champ! Thanks for the tip!

I don't know how it happened, and don't know if this steering shaft boot thing is mentioned much, but it seems so easy to dislodge. In the pics above, you can see where it eventually rode its way up and off the lower shaft and spun freely. If that's happened in the 2 months since I've had the car, perhaps it might be worth everyone giving it a look at one day.

My thanks as well to Boondy. Even though I have not needed this tip yet, I am sure that this information would be very useful for others than encounter the same thing.

Johnny Mash: Interesting that you have a cable tie holding yours on. Even though my TRD was manufactured in the same year as yours, my case is a little different:

di-15133395889111.jpg

Yeah true true.

Well its great felling to help out!

I have 10 year experience with Toyota Australia so I'll try help as much as possible. But ive forgotten a lot too LOL.

I no longer work for Toyota and its been 2 years but its entertaining trying to remember technical details to help my friends...

It's actually a wonder this hasn't come up sooner. When i had the shaft replaced on mine the same thing happened to my car. Although it hadn’t slipped it simply was just never put back on but that’s another story haha.. i would describe the noise as a "vacuum leak" or something but in reality all your hearing is the "true" sewing machine noise of the 2GR :)

Edited by Adamsy

I'd re-seated the boot 2 days ago and it jumped out again today! :blink: Again - that sound Adamsy describes well - a wildly hissing Singer sewing machine at full tilt. The boot worked it's way out after some light 'feeling around' behind the brake with my foot, all before the replacement hose clamp job I planned for the weekend. The tube the steering shaft goes through is all rubber, and just poking around near there can deform the neck and thus pop the boot out. I've jammed it back in and bound it there with cloth tape for now.