Bumped another car. What's th price to fix this?

I was trying to get through into a slip lane and bumped the guy's car just as I got through. The bump left a scratch above his rear wheel.

The space was small but I thought I could get through (being in a hurry to get somewhere didn't help either). Regardless, I know it was my fault.

From what I can see, I don't think fixing this will cost half as much as my excess but I may be wrong. I'm under 25, the excess will be ridiculous (~$950)

I wanted to pay for damages out-of-pocket but he insisted on getting AAMI involved. I'm sure panelbeaters and wreckers will certainly up their price to try and make as much as they can from the insurance company.

My car seems to have it worse since on top of it being scratched, it's also slightly dented.

What do you guys think?

Here's a photo of the damage on the guy's scratched Hyundai Getz.

1334637667776.jpg

Edited by AnthonyMy

Yeah I have comprehensive insurance with AAMI but because I'm under 25, it will be $950.

I've contacted AAMI and they said in the case that the cost to repair is less than my excess, I will be charged accordingly. How much do you think it will cost to fix his car?

how much its going to cost isnt your concern now. since its your fault, your obligation is to fix his car as you caused the damage. if he insists on AAMI then u really cant argue can u? bite the bullet and pay the excess mate, less headaches for that way and thats what insurance is there for...

imo - not going to reach excess value =\

lookin at maybe ... $300ish ? for painting labour etc etc. Bar doesnt seem to be damaged just the paint,

Tell him to buff it out ! ;) LOL :P

sorry to hear about your incident, lucky it wasnt something major.

my dad ownes/runs a panelbeating shop and i do know a bit about the pricing etc.

the car looks like a hyundai getz if im not wrong? and the damage seems to be only on that rear bar. for a replacement rear bar it would cost somewhere around the 500 area, thats for a genuine bar. and i dont think that includes paint and labour. theres also the other option sanding it back and repainting but not sure about how much cheaper that would be. ask a few panelbeaters and get some quotes first.

Thanks guys. I know it's my fault so I will pay for the repairs.

I just wanted to know how much the repair should be costing as AAMI said if it's less than the excess ($950), that's all I'll have to pay.

I also think it'll cost around the $300 mark but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

What you can do is wait for the insurance company to do the quote as they usually get the repairer to drop the price. They generally will reduce the time the crash repairers take to remove panels, prepare the panels and paint them and this can lower the price quite a bit and then pay for ti yourself. This has happened to me in the past. I'm with you though, keep out of insurance as they will then raise your rating if you dont have rating 1 protection, and this will then cost you in the future as one claim will drop you down 2 ratings. Discuss with your insurance company and his, i'm sure theyll be happy to sort it out quickly.

keep out of insurance as they will then raise your rating if you dont have rating 1 protection, and this will then cost you in the future as one claim will drop you down 2 ratings.

^^ THIS.

Since the damage is not worth the excess, why pay more to have it fixed and end up paying more for insurance later on. If you can try and sort it out with the guy and pay for it yourself, if worse comes to worse you have the insurance to fall back on.

Edited by 4ABHGE

• 4 weeks later...

they wont replace the bar on that, just refinish the rear quarter to blend the paint. anywhere from $300-600 would be my guestimate, possibly more if the person you hit gets a hire car etc from AAMI

Edited by CHA54