Whistling/screeching sound from belts

Hello there,

I degreased and washed my engine bay yesterday afternoon. Ever since I washed it there has been an unusual whistling sound coming from my belts. It's like a whistling/screeching sound and gets louder as I accelerate and it lasts for about 3 mins and goes away after the engine is hot. I suspect it's from a pulley of one of the belts but my question is how can the car wash trigger this sort of thing to happen?

I was using a pressure washer from a distance on the engine bay.

Your suggestions and help would be largely appreciated

Thanks,

Camrolla

Yes that's correct. I just can't understand how though... only hosed the engine bay for 30-40 seconds, if that, with the pressure washer. Can't think of any components getting damaged....

Please help

Thanks

Camrolla

An old trick used to be to rub soap on the working surface of the belts....Tends to quieten them down...

My bad re the timing belt?chain.....Withdrawn

Edited by Topdog

An old trick used to be to rub soap on the working surface of the belts....BTW, it's not the timing belt, the Corolla has a Timing Chain...

What does that do? :huh:

Thanks

Camrolla

The car is a Corolla AE102... From where I can here the noise it's coming from an outer belt but not an accessory belt :\ ...

Camrolla

Edited by camrolla

Habib

Not the water it was the degreaser that caused it to squeal

Take it off, an reverse the belt, swap the direction

If all good leave it

If not replace it

Should I hose it again? Maybe there's still degreaser on the belts?

Thanks

Camrolla

An old trick used to be to rub soap on the working surface of the belts....BTW, it's not the timing belt, the Corolla has a Timing Chain...

The car is a Corolla AE102... From where I can here the noise it's coming from an outer belt but not an accessory belt :\ ...

Camrolla

AE102s have a timing belt (not a chain), but it is behind a cover and highly unlikely to be the problem (plus, toothed belts are highly unlikely to slip and thus squeal). The culprit will be one of the exposed accessory/drive belts that power the air-con, alternator, water pump and power-steering pump.

Camrolla

AE102s have a timing belt (not a chain), but it is behind a cover and highly unlikely to be the problem (plus, toothed belts are highly unlikely to slip and thus squeal). The culprit will be one of the exposed accessory/drive belts that power the air-con, alternator, water pump and power-steering pump.

I also thought the same, didn't think it was the timing belt. The timing belt can't be affected by the pressure washer as it's very well hidden....

Should I try hosing it again? Have a good feeling that there's still degreaser caught in it.... or even that soap method mentioned above?

Thanks,

Camrolla

The alternator is the tensioner - loosen the lock-bolt and the sliding bolt on the bottom of the alternator, then pivot it down to release tension on the belt - don't touch the top bolt except maybe to loosen it half a turn just so it can pivot.