Must watch: CAI is uselss on a skyline GTT in expriment

ben yip

Last episode, no gain in just changing the POD filter

This episode, no gain in CAI, what a shock, not sure if it is because it is a turbo car

Edited by ben yip

CAI are only useful on N/A's they also need to be just that, a COLD air intake to be effective

Also, the main bonus of a CAI is added response ;)

Edited by 4ABHGE

CAIs can be effective on turbo cars too, if anything.go moreso as turbo cars are more sensitive to intake air temps than N/A

Also, CAIs will benefit more from actual road driving conditions, rather than sitting stationary on the dyno (which doesn't have great airflow for instance).

• 2 weeks later...

I would rather see the test done on a 1/4 mile, not on a dyno. 5 runs standard to get a decent average, 5 runs with CAI to get a decent average. Its obviously not going to nock .5 of a second off, but i think it would be a more accurate test of what a cai actually does. I dont think i dyno would be making the best use of air flow.

Mind you, ive never really believed on testing any car on a dyno.

Edited by Licky

I would rather see the test done on a 1/4 mile, not on a dyno. 5 runs standard to get a decent average, 5 runs with CAI to get a decent average. Its obviously not going to nock .5 of a second off, but i think it would be a more accurate test of what a cai actually does. I dont think i dyno would be making the best use of air flow.

Seriously? Tracks have differing conditions, whereas dyno's can be controlled environments. Tracks also take into account driver error. Dyno's have a controlled airflow with the use of fans as well. They both have their purposes, but in this case a dyno is sufficient for the intended purposes.

Seriously? Tracks have differing conditions, whereas dyno's can be controlled environments. Tracks also take into account driver error. Dyno's have a controlled airflow with the use of fans as well. They both have their purposes, but in this case a dyno is sufficient for the intended purposes.

If the weather conditions stay consistent, with back-to-back 1/4mi runs (with short cooldown to get intake temps back down) I'd be favouring the drag strip over a dyno for reliably showing improvements. Auto would help to limit variability in launches (or you could do a rolling start like a 40-100km/h test for instance in a manual).

Whilst dynos do have controlled airflow it doesn't fully replicate the airflow that a car would get at the speeds it is going on a dyno (for instance, the Snoarer got up to 190km/h when it was on the dyno), dyno cells can be substantially warmer than outside air (which can defeat the effect of a "cold" air intake), and back-to-back runs almost always yield different power results (from heat-soak etc). I've seen 10-20kw drops on back-to-back dyno runs on a turbo car, despite being run within a minute of each other and the operator flooring it each time.