Anyone still getting 1st-2nd shifting problems?

I have combed through NewCelica.org and our forum and i have no doubt this is a problem in majority of Celicas and Sportivos alike utilising the C60 6 speed gearbox. A lot of guys in the US have replaced gearboxes (some up to 3 times and some under warranty) or got new 2nd gear synchros. Does anyone have a price on these from Toyota Australia?

As for my Stivo, it drives ok when shifting slowly but when you try to rush a 1-2 shift it crunches. I used to be able to rush the shifter in but seem not able to do it anymore or as often as before. I don't think its my driving because i tried having the clutch pedal fully depressed and rushing the shifter from 1st to 2nd but still wouldn't go into 2nd. I almost have to shift smooth like holding the shifter less tightly and letting it click in rather than grabbing the stick and jamming it into 2nd. All other shifts no problems except 1st to 2nd.

The thing is i used to be able to shift really fast all the time, now i can't. I change my gearbox oil almost as often as i change my engine oil so i don't know if that has an impact. I use Castrol Syntrax 75W90 full synthetic and Nulon G70 additive. I don't think its the tranny fluid but i might be trying other brands of tranny fluid soon and getting Toyota to diagnose but don't think they will find/replace anyting cuz it "drives alright under normal operating conditions".

Maybe i will just have to wait for it to keep deteriorating before seeing Toyota, hopefully before the warranty expires.

Thanks guys/girls,

Z

Edited by ZEEROLLA

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some (1 or two) have had problems with their second gear synchro's -- when I bought the sportivo the guy at South Side Toyota told me there were double synchros on second.  Anyone know if this is true?

Yep they are double cone synchros in 2nd gear.. the rest are single cone..

but i have actually been crunching gears since day 1 on and off.. there have also been articles on the Celica and they say " the gearbox doesn't invite u to push it hard, if u do u beat the synchros and miss shifts".. Wheels 1999?

DC5 TypeR has tripple cone synchros in 2nd and 3rd fyi..

Edited by ZEEROLLA

with factory clutch and flywheel, i find that if i miss shift or skip gears, gear change would not be as smooth e.g. more notchy. have only experienced crunching 1nce on reverse...

is it possible that u could have burred / worned out your synchros? but that is if u used too much force.

New sychro's dont cost much at all. The labour to remove box, strip box down, strip shaft down, re-assemble with new synchro's, re-assemble box, install into car etc is the expensive part.

Cooley - the new clutch/flywheel fixed my sticky shift issue 100% but 2nd gear crunching i have been getting occassionally from Day 1 of car ownership. I don't have issues with any other gear or downshifting into 2nd.

I guess Toyota will probably charge a big premium for labour since they already want to charge $600 labour for clutch installation. Interestingly Toyota dealers in the US has opted to go for a full gearbox replacement rather than muck around with gears and synchros, which saves them time and less risk of other gears or synchros stuffin up down the line. If i need to get it fixed i will be pushing for a new box.

i guess if you're going through that route, it's best to get some sort of official confirmation by Toyota USA that they do indeed perform that level of service.

At least that way you would have some leverage against Toyota Aust.

Is this a problem with 6spd gearbox designs? My friend's s15 gear shifting is notchy as well. I felt that both the stivo/rolla 6spd and the s15 6spd were thereabouts equally notchy. admittedly i haven't tried other cars with 6 spd, so i can't quite attest to my theory.

New clutch makes the car a NEW driving experiance all together

Once I had the clutch originally worked on it was fine doing 1-2 changes.

Now the new after market clutch is in its EVEN EASIER to land 1-2....

Then theres northy who can drink a latte between gear changes and still remain in LIFT!!!!!...... I am so jelous

Maybe a little off topic......I am recently start playing GT4 (Yeah, I'm a bit out dated, am I :P ).

When I use my Silver RUNX (go Silver~~).......it seems it's impossible to land lift 1-2. Even I got the TRD racing clutch and flywheel, it still the same. The rev land at 5,000 rpm after shifting the 2nd.

I wonder it's the way our car is since I was never been able to land lift 1-2 with my Sportivo. And I wonder why you guys can land lift 1-2 ???? :blink::blink::huh::huh:

Maybe a little off topic......I am recently start playing GT4 (Yeah, I'm a bit out dated, am I  :P ).

When I use my Silver RUNX (go Silver~~).......it seems it's impossible to land lift 1-2. Even I got the TRD racing clutch and flywheel, it still the same. The rev land at 5,000 rpm after shifting the 2nd.

I wonder it's the way our car is since I was never been able to land lift 1-2 with my Sportivo. And I wonder why you guys can land lift 1-2 ???? :blink:  :blink:  :huh:  :huh:

practice is all it takes to land lift mate :)

keep practicing, but at the same time try to be gentle on the gearbox B)

Maybe a little off topic......I am recently start playing GT4 (Yeah, I'm a bit out dated, am I  :P ).

I wonder it's the way our car is since I was never been able to land lift 1-2 with my Sportivo. And I wonder why you guys can land lift 1-2 ???? :blink:  :blink:  :huh:  :huh:

practice is all it takes to land lift mate :)

keep practicing, but at the same time try to be gentle on the gearbox B)

I went for a drive today and shifted 1-2 much slower than usual and slipped the clutch a bit more and landed around 5900rpm but didn't grind or crunch 2nd. Did it 3 times same result. I am now trying to practice shifting slower, almost casual, and still land LIFT.

Oh and Cooley u will need the TRD fully customisable gearbox to land LIFT :P

Edited by ZEEROLLA

A quote i got from NewCelica.org on the C60 6speed gearbox in the Stivo. Thought some newbies would be interested, the 1-2 shift topic has been covered extensively on that forum. So give up that Powershifting technique people! :ph34r:

Quote:

Originally Posted by

the gt-s tranny was defective from the factory. It happens to 90% of us. Its a problem with the 2nd gear syncho's. Ive had em replaced 3 times and it still happens, it'll either grind or pop out of gear. And it probably happens when you try and downshift from 3 to 2 right?

Reply:

I highlydoubt 90% or even 5% of GT-S trannies are defective from the factory. The problem comes from people just trying to shift too fast/hard. You need to wait for the revs to drop down a bit to where they'll be in the next gear before you engage that gear. Otherwise, you'll overwork the synchros (they match gears for you, but only so much) and cause excessive wear. Forcing the shifter into gear only accelerates the wear even more. After too much abuse, they'll just stop working altogether at higher RPMs and you'll grind. Eventually, it will even happen at low RPMs, and you'll need to perfectly rev match to get into that gear. The reason it happens to 2nd so much is because people think the faster you shift, the higher you'll land in the next gear, and 2nd is the only one that's hard to land in lift. Unfortunately, we're mechanically limited to landing at 5800 in 2nd. The only way to bypass this is to spin the wheels or slip the clutch. Shifting speed has nothing to do with it.

Oh and Cooley u will need the TRD fully customisable gearbox to land LIFT  :P

Zee, you mean in GT4 or in realistic :) ??? Well, do I need to set the gear ratio with the TRD fully customisable gearbox in order to land LIFT or just leave it as default?

The only way to bypass this is to spin the wheels or slip the clutch. Shifting speed has nothing to do with it.

Can anyone please explain a bit more on

"spin the wheels and slip the clutch."

1. How to do them??

2. What do they do to make lift landing possible? :rolleyes:

this WILL deacrease the life of your clutch taking that in mind,

basically it means that when you shift you slip the clutch when you take your foot off it when you grab 2nd gear, keeps the car in lift untill you completely depress the clutch

As WEI WEI mentioned....practice makes perfect.......

You dont need to wrench it into gear every time to land it....its more about control that brute force ;)

A TRD short shifter or the like will always help out though ;)

or you could go Spotiv's way and get the super short blitz kit version...which also acts as a weights set for building up your left arm when going into reverse :P

Zee - isnt our box a C64 not a C60 ??????

Edited by Danthuyer