ZRE gearbox question

rolla91

Hey guys Iv got a question about my zre corolla regarding 2nd gear. Its a 2012 car, manual, with about 2700 km on it and when im downshifting gears for a roundabout or traffic lights say and I go to select 2nd it will get prob half way in then it stops like something is stopping it from selecting that gear. Would this be due to it being new and still wearing in or another issue? I figured its because its new but only does it every now and then not everytime you go to selct 2nd and it doesnt do it when your changing up gears.

Any ideas?

cheers

Rhys

no worries, it only happens while changing down gears. No noises and clutch is all the way in and doesnt grind. It doesnt happen every time but quit frequently though. When you go to select second the gear stick will go in about half way then it gets quit firm and only way to get it in gear is to try again

Tell Toyota and take em for a drive to reproduce it..

If you leave it with them and they drive it.. If it happens only once.. The mechanic will more than likely not worry about it and write "NFF" no fault found and they will say it didn't happen with them

haha i will dont worry, i have hols soon so i might try and take it in then.

went out for a drive this morning and it happened about 6 bloody times, its so annoying, on a brand new car too

• 3 months later...

Hi rolla91, I know its been a while but I was wondering what did the mechanic say or any updates on the situation? I have the same issue as well. Brand new out of the dealers.

Thanks

Hey mate, I actually didnt end up taking it back to toyota, I was a bit lazy, I decided to leave it for a while and its actually come good.I think it was partially me and partially due to it being new it now has about 7000 km on it so enough movement to wear it in.

If its the exact same issue as I wrote above you could leave it for a while and see if it wears in and just make sure the clutch pedal is complety pushed in etc or do what I probably should have done you could take it back to the dealer and ask them and they might be able to give more information on the issue.

Good luck

Cheers

Rhys.

Thanks for your reply Rhys!

It's pretty much the same issue. It's when I shift it from gear 3 to gear 2 its like its in half way (but in gear) and it's in actually gear 2. The shift to gear 2 doesn't feel complete or engaged if you know. I might drive it for a few more days/weeks see how it goes. If it hasn't resolve, I'll probably mention it on the 1month service.

Can you actually hear the gears being shifted clearly while driving or is it silent?

Thanks

No worries. Yea it used to feel like it went halfway into second then stopped, not actually sure if it had actually selected 2nd as i didnt want to let out the clutch incase the gears grinded but it seems to have resolved itself now i think it was because it was new. If i drive around with no music i can slightly hear the gears change its not reallt loud but i can hear it though, should be normal.

Rhys.