Kluger Handling

Too_Slow_Dude

I thought I would just let anyone out there interest what I did to try to make the big ill handling Kluger go around a corner. To my surprise I could not find a single after market sway bar any where in the world on the web.

After checking with some custom suspension places I had a 20mm rear sway bar made for the old girl. This has transformed the handling. It actually goes around the corner without the car feeling like is is going to remove the tyre off the front rim.

The only down side is the occasional squeek from the neoprene bushes. But this is a small price to pay to not have the wife winging about it wanting to roll over on every corner.

The project was completed in a day by Accurate Suspension at Springwood.

Interesting, I haven't looked under the back of my car, but was there a smaller / hollow bar there already and they just copied the shape with a stiffer bar and used the same pick up points?

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would just let anyone out there interest what I did to try to make the big ill handling Kluger go around a corner. To my surprise I could not find a single after market sway bar any where in the world on the web.

After checking with some custom suspension places I had a 20mm rear sway bar made for the old girl. This has transformed the handling. It actually goes around the corner without the car feeling like is is going to remove the tyre off the front rim.

The only down side is the occasional squeek from the neoprene bushes. But this is a small price to pay to not have the wife winging about it wanting to roll over on every corner.

• 5 weeks later...

The existing sway bar is about the size of your pinky, approx 10mm. Completely inadequate for a vehicle of this size.

I have since greased the bushes and there are now no squeaks. So back to the toyota normal quiet.

The bar and install cost around $500 give or take a few dollars from memory.

This is really a good investment. The car is almost dangerous in the way it handles from standard and on top of that it will give you extended tyre life as you are not rolling onto the shoulder of the front tyres on every corner.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I also have a 2009 Kluger and its rolly polly as hell. I was wondering what your long term view of this sway mod was? I am reasonably close to Accurate Suspension.

Do you remember who your point of contact was there? Happy so far? Any long term issue with bushes etc?

Im also looking to uprate my shocks but only Monroe do a shock and its only a tad better then oem they tell me.

cheers

russ

Edited by Suntzu

The sway bar has been excellent. The best part is tyre wear. While the mrs drives the car 90% of the time I have found the tyre wear very even across the tyre face, while the fronts still wear faster, with rotations the tyres last quite well.

Plus the handling is improved! Significantly reduced understeer. The kluger does not have enough power spin the inside rear on hard corner from the stiffer bar, but this is an suv, not a sports car.