Hilux engine swap. Ideas welcome

notalowlux

ok i have for the time sorted the 4Y out so it advances nicely and runs ok. Is a different car now its timed right :)

Now to look forward and start planning my engine swap. I have to date owned alot cars ,mainly VL commodores as the RB nissan engines are all easy to swap in and i have done most of them myself inc turbo builds. Custom mounts and bellhousings are items i can make myself easy enough so im not limited by the normal bounds. Wiring im good enough at but really who enjoys wiring a car up ??? only the truely disturbed. ;)

Due to the Hydrogen cell mod on my hilux i would like to keep carby power as modding the h20 system for EFI is a expense/ head stuff im not up for yet. :(

i have been leaning towards a v8 holden BUT at the wreckers i saw a 2F motor. Now the wreckers say this wont fit . I have seen and driven a 2J (2.5L twin turbo) powered hilux and it fit pretty easily so i put it down to the guy trying to sell me a V6 VN motor swap package( i hate them ) and i found the parts direct from supplier about 1k cheaper than he quoted supply only.( i understand a mark up but 1k on a 2.5k package NOO)

My requirements are simple. Petrol, Carby, Reliable .

The car will see mild offroading, nothing extreme, tow duties for a track car around Aust, some daily duties, camping.

All ideas welcome so dont be shy to reply.

cheers

Due to the Hydrogen cell mod on my hilux i would like to keep carby power as modding the h20 system for EFI is a expense/ head stuff im not up for yet. :(

Please explain...

i have a non presurized hydrogen producing cell on the car that increases power and fuel economy greatly. is a system under review by UniNSW for exact results but on an EFI outback the mileage went from 25 MPG to over 41MPG . on my old 4Y corona with a blown head gasket( never fixed it but disconnecting number 2 or 3 cyc lead made no difference) i went from 14l per 100 down to 9l per 100kms.

the unit pulls 10-15 amps from alternator ad uses about 2L of demineralised water per 6 month. will upload a picture when i have net ( this is through mobile phone wifi pic upload would be suicide)

• 1 month later...

H2 generators do NOT, repeat NOT work. It is mathematically impossible. Compare running with and without it, with the motor properly tuned under the same driving conditions AND manner. They ALWAYS cost more power than they can ever produce, AND the output is too small to be significant at reasonable motor speeds. NB you may damage your motor with the violent ignitions of the H2. Nothing is free, nothing comes from nothing.

Also, if you want something petrol and carb, why not just leave the 4Y in... Unless you want to fit a holden/chev/ford/etc V8 you wont really find a carb toyota engine that is worth the effort to transplant.