Toyota Corollas 2011 and the tyres

jsta

Just had my car serviced. They had to replace my tyres with new ones as the tread on the outside was a bit bald.

I find that odd for a new car.

I do not speed or break hard. To illustrate this my previous Toyota Corolla did 92,000KM and was

serviced once or twice a year for 17 years only ever needed one second set of new tyres.

My new car bought Dec of 2011 has only done 14,000KM.

Roads in Perth are not that bad. Most have been resurfaced. I never drive in thre country only

in Perth metro area.

Is this normal for these newer Corollas please ?

Is it because the car is so much heavier than my previous corolla ?

Stop comparing your new one to your old one.......thats the worst thing to comapre it on, your old one is gone you dont have it anymore. Its like comapring your old nike shoes to your new current ones. Youve replaced it, time goes on and things change within the construction of the structure of your shoes. If you love your old one so bad, go get another one, im sure you wont sook about it and plenty of em out there, or get a ford focus.

And for your tyre problem, my mums bought jan 2012, done 25xxx kms. Tyre tread just about 65%, im guessing you got rigged by the service center you took it in? Did you check tyres before you brought it in? You sure they were bald?

Generally factory tires are rubbish anyway. Lots of other factors can come in besides your braking and roads, theres also: tyre pressures, did you keep them up? Alignment maybe? Etc etc

Edited by jeffy

Stop comparing your new one to your old one.......thats the worst thing to comapre it on, your old one is gone you dont have it anymore. Its like comapring your old nike shoes to your new current ones. Youve replaced it, time goes on and things change within the construction of the structure of your shoes. If you love your old one so bad, go get another one, im sure you wont sook about it and plenty of em out there, or get a ford focus.

And for your tyre problem, my mums bought jan 2012, done 25xxx kms. Tyre tread just about 65%, im guessing you got rigged by the service center you took it in? Did you check tyres before you brought it in? You sure they were bald?

Generally factory tires are rubbish anyway. Lots of other factors can come in besides your braking and roads, theres also: tyre pressures, did you keep them up? Alignment maybe? Etc etc

You do like jumping down peoples throats when they post anything bad about their toyotas don;'t you.

Do you work at a toyota service centre ?

If you had of bothered reading my post in full you would have seen I said the outside of the tyres was balding.

I then asked is this norman for a new car. I was polite, I was not rude like you have been.

And there is nothing wrong with me posting that in 17 years on driving my previous toyota I only had one set of tyres replacxed.

This was to illustrate that I do not speed or break hard. I drive my new car the same way and yet teh tyres are worn out

on the sides.

Since talked to my brother who knows more about cars than I do and he said the car itself might not have been balnced properly in the

first place. Now if you new about cars you could hav eposted that but you are obviously like myself who knows nothing about cars which

is why I posted a question politely.

Your brother doesn't know anything mate,

Can't balance a car ! Only tyres, and unbalanced tyres won't cause that they cause vibration..

Tyres pressures and wheel alignment will however. If its over inflated centre wears, under and the edges wear. Wheel alignment issues will also cause premature wear.. Get that looked at.

P.s my old Nike shoes lasted years ! Now into dc shoes :)

Edited by 123R-Prozak

You do like jumping down peoples throats when they post anything bad about their toyotas don;'t you.

Do you work at a toyota service centre ?

lolwut? and no i dont work at a toyota service centre. Its not about posting bad sh*t about toyotas, its about the stupid sh*t you post, and i dont mind answering them. Go rant all about toyotas all you want bud. Im surprised you havent complained why your steering wheel isnt round. <_<

If you had of bothered reading my post in full you would have seen I said the outside of the tyres was balding.

I then asked is this norman for a new car. I was polite, I was not rude like you have been.

if YOU had bothered reading the rest of my reply, wou would have answered whether you kept the tyre pressures up, and wheel alignment. I apologize if my replies have come to you as rude, i will keep in mind that for next time. and the reason why i asked if you were sure is because, some service centres like to rip gullible people off and say something is wrong with your car and replace it for you, and get charged. Like a blinker fluid needs replacing

And there is nothing wrong with me posting that in 17 years on driving my previous toyota I only had one set of tyres replacxed.

This was to illustrate that I do not speed or break hard. I drive my new car the same way and yet teh tyres are worn out

on the sides.

and you're right there is nothing wrong, but that was 17 years ago, if the tyres you have on now are the same as the ones you had 17 years ago then its different, same as the car. its like saying, ohh man 17 years ago the petrol was 50c and now its $1.50 - its still the exact same petrol but price is different.

Since talked to my brother who knows more about cars than I do and he said the car itself might not have been balnced properly in the

first place. Now if you new about cars you could hav eposted that but you are obviously like myself who knows nothing about cars which

is why I posted a question politely.

yeah, you're right, i do know nothing about cars, but i did ask you whether the alignment of your car was correct, and the response above tyre pressures. Did you ask your all knowing brother as well why you have difficulty parking in bays and pulling up next to fuel pumps ?

Edited by jeffy

My stock '09 ZRE yoko tires are approaching 50,000kms and will need replacing soon. As others have said, driving behaviour, tyre pressures, balanced tires all play a part. Checking constantly increases tire lifespan.

And yes, the older Corollas (AE82/AE92 800-900kg) weigh less than the newer Corollas (1,200kg). This is due to more features/gadgets and it being bigger in size.

Can't balance a car ! Only tyres, and unbalanced tyres won't cause that they cause vibration..

Tyres pressures and wheel alignment will however. If its over inflated centre wears, under and the edges wear. Wheel alignment issues will also cause premature wear.. Get that looked at.

I didn't think I needed to spoon feed you exactly. I thought what I was explaining was about balancing of the tyres not the car but there you go. You must need spoon feeding.

My stock '09 ZRE yoko tires are approaching 50,000kms and will need replacing soon. As others have said, driving behaviour, tyre pressures, balanced tires all play a part. Checking constantly increases tire lifespan.

And yes, the older Corollas (AE82/AE92 800-900kg) weigh less than the newer Corollas (1,200kg). This is due to more features/gadgets and it being bigger in size.

Thank you for your reply.

Since found out that the tyres were not balanced correctly which is why the outer edges of the tyre were worn out.

The place I went to advised I come in there every 3 months to check the tyres and they will do that for free which is

good service. They said if I do that then this should not ware out so fast as it did with my car.

Just a shame the place I bought it from didn't properly inspect the car in the first place as none of this would have happened.

I know they didn't inspect the car as the pre-delivery service maintenence record was not filled in or signed which is

on page 2 of the service manual. If they had of inspected the car then they would have seen the cut tyre and paint stains in the car

which I've been arguing with them for 13 months now. I take my cars elsewhere now.

Again thank you for your reply.

Edited by jsta

Most tyre places offer free check up's now to keep their customers but it is a good service. A part from getting your tires balanced and a wheel alignment every 10,000kms, you should check tyre pressures at least every fortnight (I check almost every time I fill up) to reduce unnecessary premature wear.

If you get your car serviced at Toyota, I believe they do a check on tires and wheel alignment? Not 100% sure as I don't service my car at Toyota.

Most tyre places offer free check up's now to keep their customers but it is a good service. A part from getting your tires balanced and a wheel alignment every 10,000kms, you should check tyre pressures at least every fortnight (I check almost every time I fill up) to reduce unnecessary premature wear.

If you get your car serviced at Toyota, I believe they do a check on tires and wheel alignment? Not 100% sure as I don't service my car at Toyota.

Thank you for your suggestions. I got that same advice from the new Toyota dealer that I am now going to.

They said to make sure the tyre presure is at 32 PSI. The car after coming back from service handles so much easier now even better

than when I first picked up the car.

Its like driving a new car and easier to steer than ever before. The car can't have had all the tyres with the same pressure to begin with. The front two tyres had to be replaced. One was balding a bit on top but mainly on the outer edge where the other tyre was just on the outer edge. The car from day one was pulling a bit on the steering wheel. When I mentioned that where I bought it from they said that was normal so I didn't think anything of it.

I'm not a car head like some of you in here. My knowledge of cars is rather pathetic.

I'll do as you suggest check it more frequently. Years ago I owned one of those car tyre check things which connect up via the sig lighter.

May look at buying one but no idea what brand is good or bad for these though.

Anyway thank you for replying to my post.

to be fair you can balance a car using corner weights, but lets not go there :P

hahaah Phil thats a completely different ball game! :P

Generally all wheel alignments on factory cars tend to wear the outside edges of the front tyres, add camber and make toe nuetral.

i think thats going a bit techinical for the poor fellow isnt it? :)

for the lay person, have a tyre pressure checker from your local super crap or repcrap or autocrap for like 10 bucks. check your tyre pressures everytime u fill up the car. for the 2011 corolla, i recommend 35 psi not the factory recommendation of 32psi. no u will not pop the tyre at this pressure.

as said above, tyres that have toe in wear the outer part of the tyre (i think correct if wrong) and tow out wears the inner. from factory, all cars have slight toe in for highway stability and safety in the straight line.

u've travelled a fair bit, i'd say its fair that your tyres should be replaced soon.

weight has nothing to do with the tyre wear. unless u weigh 200 kgs -_-

Alternatively, you can check/fill your tires at nearly ever service station. Just do it when you are filling up, keep them at 35-26psi (not 32) and you will extend the life.

They also need to be rotated regularly, which should be done at service time as per the log book.

The weight of the corolla has nothing to do with it, the factory tires on them have a load rating of 91, which means that all 4 combined can support up to a maximum of ~2400kg... twice what your car weighs.