max gain with mods

Hey i know this have been covered before just a tad lazy searching it up what do you people think the gain in kw with like max out mods on the sportivo like cai,2.5inch exhaust all the way, cams,power fc, extractor,manifold,camcon, etc what are the gains on the car? significant for the value of money?

Hey i know this have been covered before just a tad lazy searching it up what do you people think the gain in kw with like max out mods on the sportivo like cai,2.5inch exhaust all the way, cams,power fc, extractor,manifold,camcon, etc what are the gains on the car? significant for the value of money?

What can you install yourself out of that list?

PFC needs tuning, so that will require another $600 odd on top.

Cams, you need to know what your doing here.

PPE extractor, a bit of effort to install, and will require a new mid pipe anyway, so extra money there.

So basically left with CAI. Plenty of info on brands if you search.

Don't bother with the CAI, it's a waste of time and money.

^^

Wha

Off the drugs

I'm not on drugs. I have owned 3 Stivos and currently have 2 (one for road and one for track). On my track car I've tried out a large variety of filters and filter set-ups (both CAI and stock) and have found that there is no tangible repeatable performance gains either on the dyno or the track. My experience is that they do 2 things: they look cool (if that's your thing) and they make your car sound a bit tougher. Since the OP is interested in actual performance gains then my advice is to not bother with CAI, and put money into things that actually do improve performance.

Watch these MCM vids where they have to actually port the intake outside the engine bay to get even a small increase in power.

Ummm... I don't know much about cars, let alone the Sportivo but I was certain they actually get a HP gain from going to a CAI setup.

I know a CES CAI boast a HP gain (http://www.cesracing.com.au/products_7.htm) and a few members have used this setup.

Ummm... I don't know much about cars, let alone the Sportivo but I was certain they actually get a HP gain from going to a CAI setup.

I know a CES CAI boast a HP gain (http://www.cesracing.com.au/products_7.htm) and a few members have used this setup.

Yeah...this is the kit that we installed, and I certainly couldn't replicate their supposed power gain on my car. When you say you're certain, what makes you certain?

I actually asked them for some dyno results to verify their 5-7 kw but they never got back to me. I sold the thing on ebay for nearly what I paid, even after I put the description in that it doesn't appear to do anything.

Yeah...this is the kit that we installed, and I certainly couldn't replicate their supposed power gain on my car. When you say you're certain, what makes you certain?

I actually asked them for some dyno results to verify their 5-7 kw but they never got back to me. I sold the thing on ebay for nearly what I paid, even after I put the description in that it doesn't appear to do anything

There is a gentleman who used to have a silver 2zz which the CES CAI and CES Catback was designed on. He's since sold it but he's Brisbane based so we see him often; but I don't want to disclose too many details as I am not completely sure.

I'll get in touch and see if he can explain more.

I actually asked them for some dyno results to verify their 5-7 kw but they never got back to me. I sold the thing on ebay for nearly what I paid, even after I put the description in that it doesn't appear to do anything

There is a gentleman who used to have a silver 2zz which the CES CAI and CES Catback was designed on. He's since sold it but he's Brisbane based so we see him often; but I don't want to disclose too many details as I am not completely sure.

I'll get in touch and see if he can explain more.

Fair enough. Look I'm not claiming to be some kind of grand authority on air intakes or anything. I'm simply reporting my experiences to the forum.

As a former employee of (name withheld) and fabricator of the (I don't want to admit it) CAI, I've seen first hand the HP improvements.
I've seen the minimum of 5kw to the bigger 7kw gain.
If you are getting no gain what so ever, I'm lost for reason.

Did you have the full 3" version or the 3" with the 2.75" MAF insert?

I know (my former employer) are very lazy at getting back to people with info regarding ANYTHING, hence, why I now fabricate things and work for myself.

You could also try this thread with links to various CAI threads.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/5503-previously-covered-topics-have-a-read-before-posting-as-it-may-already-have-been-covered/

Edited by 2XS

A completely different car.

Watch these MCM vids where they have to actually port the intake outside the engine bay to get even a small increase in power.

Same result though.

As a former employee of (name withheld) and fabricator of the (I don't want to admit it) CAI, I've seen first hand the HP improvements.

I've seen the minimum of 5kw to the bigger 7kw gain.

If you are getting no gain what so ever, I'm lost for reason.

Did you have the full 3" version or the 3" with the 2.75" MAF insert?

I know (my former employer) are very lazy at getting back to people with info regarding ANYTHING, hence, why I now fabricate things and work for myself.

You could also try this thread with links to various CAI threads.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/5503-previously-covered-topics-have-a-read-before-posting-as-it-may-already-have-been-covered/

Thanks for posting and I appreciate your input. The guys at my performance shop simply believe thst the stock air box on the sportivo is nit limiting in any way. They are of the opinion (as am I) that CAI's are for the most part not necessary. I'm certainly not suggesting that you not telling the truth; but I will personally remain skeptical till I see it with my own eyes on exactly the same car, same day, same dyno, same atmospheric conditions, same fuel etc etc. Edited by rollaurion

So, as opposed to a cone filter, an aftermarket drop-in is a better alternative?

Although it degenerated (of course) I recently explained on the Aurion forum, that I stopped using aftermarket panel filters in my corollas due to unusual oil analysis results (high silicon levels). Then there is the fact that no car that I’ve ever heard of has actually benefited in performance from an aftermarket panel filter and the question is why bother? If you want my tip just use genuine air filters and replace them regularly so that they stay clean…

So, as opposed to a cone filter, an aftermarket drop-in is a better alternative?

Although it degenerated (of course) I recently explained on the Aurion forum, that I stopped using aftermarket panel filters in my corollas due to unusual oil analysis results (high silicon levels). Then there is the fact that no car that I’ve ever heard of has actually benefited in performance from an aftermarket panel filter and the question is why bother? If you want my tip just use genuine air filters and replace them regularly so that they stay clean…

My UOA also showed higher silicon readings with a K&N panel filter as opposed to Toyota panel filter also.

• 1 month later...

When i had my sportivo my CES CAI did jack all as well, if you take the stock snorkel out of the stock airbox and replace with a KN panel filter filter it will give you the same kw as CAI it was proven on the dyno back in the day,i had CAI,CES headers and catback and i think i only gained 13kw ATW alot of money spent for minimal gain, there are minimal gains with N/A cars ,you get bigger gains with turbo cars my current MPS gained 28kw ATW and60NM with just a tune alone at a fraction of the cost.

Even in turbo cars CAI and SRI make no gains only Noise.