Suppension - KYB AGX or KYB Gr-2

chris1991119

Hi,

I currently looking to purchase a new set (4) of shocks for my car with lowering spring bundle; MAX 2" lower (prefer 1.5"ish)

Currently I have stock and they are dying out on me.

I am thinking of buying the KYB gr-2 or KYB AGX local (Brisbane) and gettin them fitted as well. In addition, I have heard about tein and koni as well, but what would be recommended for me?

I prefer adjustable ones for dailiy driving - not drag

Also, what would the price range for

KYB Gr-2 set with lowering springs and fitted

KYB AGX set with lowering springs and fitted

Teins s-tech set with lowering springs and fitted

Koni red set with lowering springs and fitted

thx

• 2 weeks later...

The KYB AGX series is very good when matched with good springs they are stiffness adjustable so yu can make them soft if you want. Get Eibach sport lines springs as they are engineered to drop the car but also improve handling. The other brands you mentioned only drop the car. Keep in mind with the drop you will have to get camber correcter for the front as it will be changed when you drop the car. The koni red set is just a bit better than stock but if your shocks are blown it will make a massive difference. DON'T BUY KING SPRINGS PLEASE

This will firm it up and make it good as a daily and handle corners also.

I dont think anyone local sells the AGX series though that i know of

Eibach- call them as it is not listed. They sell the camber correctors also

http://www.eibachdirect.com/

As for setting it up go to Fulcrum suspension as they are magicians with suspension and are based in QLD somewhere

Join ozcelica a few more guys with better suspension knowledge than me are on there. but they will mostly likely say get coil overs lol

I dont quite understand why you say these shocks come with 'lowering springs'? As lowering springs are a different product. Most adjustables are lower anyway by about 40mm. Lowering springs are not a good idea as they take travel out of your shock which will wear them out quicker. I was going through a shock a year with my hard driving.

And have you used coilovers before? Because they arent comfortable. The first month they will almost bang the fillings out of your teeth..esp if you have 17 inch wheels. Your stock shocks are adequate. They are nice and stiff and have the extra bonus of comfort. I would stick with stock on your car.

A good shock like Tein Super Street will keep the maximum piston travel for a lowered ride. They are also the 'softest' apparently

Another way to make it more stable is to use 15mm spacers as they do on race cars (can be a hassle to remove) or to use a slightly lower offset rim.

The KYB AGX series is very good when matched with good springs they are stiffness adjustable so yu can make them soft if you want. Get Eibach sport lines springs as they are engineered to drop the car but also improve handling. The other brands you mentioned only drop the car. Keep in mind with the drop you will have to get camber correcter for the front as it will be changed when you drop the car. The koni red set is just a bit better than stock but if your shocks are blown it will make a massive difference. DON'T BUY KING SPRINGS PLEASE

What;s your problem with King springs? I love bro science!

What in the name of Jesus is bro science?

What in the name of Jesus is bro science?

sorry lol. It's bodybuilding parlance.

Definition:

"Broscience is the predominant brand of reasoning in bodybuilding circles where the anecdotal reports of jacked dudes are considered more credible than scientific research."

sorry lol. It's bodybuilding parlance.

"Broscience is the predominant brand of reasoning in bodybuilding circles where the anecdotal reports of jacked dudes are considered more credible than scientific research."

ie

Batman+and+Joker+Diet+Discussion.jpg

I think he ment that that the shocks he was going to get come with lowered springs as part of the package.

My beef with kins springs is that they do not make the spring to match the specific car and its weight, they are primarily designed to lower the car and do not take into account many other handling factors.

I think he ment that that the shocks he was going to get come with lowered springs as part of the package.

My beef with kins springs is that they do not make the spring to match the specific car and its weight, they are primarily designed to lower the car and do not take into account many other handling factors.

That's actually incorrect. Kings R&D department is disproportional to the size of the business, and vehicle weight, along with stock vs final dynamics are a consideration before making springs available for any vehicle. This is no different than any other spring works if you think that anyone else is specifically designing springs for every single vehicle out there you are mistaken. I have installed kings on literally hundreds of cars, and have never once had a complaint. I've also had Kings in a lot of my own vehicles. I use Pedders coilovers these days, but would not hesitate to put Kings in any of my cars...

Okay then please check out their catalog for the celica st18 series, they offer the same spring for both 2wd and 4wd variants, there is a 300kg weight difference between the two cars, and also a different shock in the rear for bother cars.

http://www.kingsprings.com/catalogue/kings_master_catalogue.pdf

Okay then please check out their catalog for the celica st18 series, they offer the same spring for both 2wd and 4wd variants, there is a 300kg weight difference between the two cars, and also a different shock in the rear for bother cars.

http://www.kingsprings.com/catalogue/kings_master_catalogue.pdf

I assume that your point is that there should be different spring rates for the vehicles, which may be a valid consideration if setting up for track work. The OP has stated it is a daily driver, I would suggest Kings will be fine for that purpose. It’s not really a great chain of logic TBH, to suggest that because they use the same spring for 2 different vehicles you shouldn’t use them. I bet pretty much every spring manufacturer uses the same springs for a variety of different vehicles. In fact, I’d say that you’d need to go to a custom spring maker to guarantee that you are getting something specifically designed for your vehicle, but there again spring rates will be something that varies according to taste and what the vehicle is being used for….

Also, isn't the OP's vehicle a ZZ??

Thx for all your information.

Anyways, I am getting KYB AGX because its adjustable and it comes with vortex springs (which i hear is a good brand).

In terms of use its a dailiy driving car to university and back - no drag, rally track, bah bah.

However, I am not sure if i should put them in yet. From what i hear, if you push ur car down for a while and then let it spring back by itself, it should only spring back up once, and it does that.

But when im driving and in cornering, i fell more body roll compare to 20 - 30 km ago.

So is this a issue of my struts and springs or something else.

I wanna install the structs and spring when my stock are like near dead not half dead.

Also im getting a Cusco Front under brace tie bar pretty soon to see if it will solve the issue.

Also, How much should i expect to pay to install all 4 struts and springs when giving it to a professional to install.

Edited by chris1991119