Corolla dash bits ...

Just looking for advice from those of you with Ascents and Conquests ...

There are hard bits of plastic on the dash and surrounds (ashtray, storage compartment, around the gear selector and stereo) which don't respond well to Armour-All.

What do you use to keep these areas nice and clean?

A Clean, Wet Chamous, It's matt black plastic so anything like armour all won't really work, so I find wiping it with the chamous keeps it looking clean.

Cool, thanks for that.

In my Ascent I scratched the blank black button (level with the hazard light one) when removing the headunit.

I went at it with kiwi (the shoe polish). Just a small dab of it on a corner of cloth and rubbed it in and the scrath is covered, te plastic is nice and shiny black too!

If u rub it in the kiwi won't rub of when u run ur finger along it.

Another thing about Amour All is that it has quite a high content of oil and silicone in it which gives the smooth glossy look but the only bad thing about it is that it is known to make the plastic heat up alot more than usual causing the plastic to dry out quicker so then u have to apply more Amour All!!!! after a long period of time it can cause some interior plastics to become brittle and crack!!!

If u wanted to try and remove this from the areas all ready coated in Amour All maybe try using "ISO-PROPYL ALCOHOL" this should bond the silicone particles and oil to it with out damaging your plastic....It should work... :D

So which Meguiars product do you use on your dash and plastics? (door trims etc)

I want to protect it but keep it looking new without the oily results spoken about above and also without a finish that dust sticks to.

Edited by mick0082

Use Meguiars products dude.  Melbourne Peoples have seen my car and this product works.  Been using it for over five years.  http://www.meguiars.com/

Amour All products are crap, stuffs up the interior if exposed to sun.

I've only used Armor-all for dashes for the last 15 years, and with excellent results.

However, maybe its time for me to shop around a bit and see what might do a better job ... I'm looking to keep the wagon for a lot longer than my other cars, so anything I can do to help its longevity is worth it.

I'll check out Meguiars and Bowden's.

I would recommend: -

Meguiar's Gold Class Dash and Trim Foam Protector.

Agreed

Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Foam Cleaner/Conditioner.

Agreed

I have also used: -

Auto Glym Leather Cleaner.

with average results, good for cleaning only; but go for Meguiar's Products dude.

Oh no! the secret is out!  :P  :P

Has anyone used the Meguiar's whipes??? I'm thinking of trying then out to see the results, I hear they are really fast to use and no mess :)

I would recommend: -

Meguiar's Gold Class Dash and Trim Foam Protector.

Agreed

Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Foam Cleaner/Conditioner.

Agreed

I have also used: -

Auto Glym Leather Cleaner.

with average results, good for cleaning only; but go for Meguiar's Products dude.

Oh no! the secret is out!  :P  :P

Has anyone used the Meguiar's whipes??? I'm thinking of trying then out to see the results, I hear they are really fast to use and no mess :)

wipes are good for the area's with the holes on your seats..... cos if u use the bottle....you get exccess stuff in the holes and it doesn't wipe off that easy and you'll have white dots on your seats...

I learnt the hard way :(

For the dash, trim and rubber seals, I use 303 protectant. It's water-based, and it is not as shiny as armorall. Also, if you want it less shiny, all you do is wipe over it with a soft cotton cloth (I use MF)! Plus, it has UV absorbers in it to reduce sun damage. You have to apply it every month or so though, to renew the UV protectant. The good news is that it doesn't turn the dash brown over long term use.

wipes are good for the area's with the holes on your seats..... cos if u use the bottle....you get exccess stuff in the holes and it doesn't wipe off that easy and you'll have white dots on your seats...

I learnt the hard way  :(

Yeah its true,

I used the meguiars gold class leather cleaner/protector recently and it is hard to do a proper job without getting it in the perforated leather (the bits with the holes).

So I guess the wipes are good for the inserts at least.

Anymore feedback regarding this?