DEFECT

Touring2011

My 2.5 inch exhaust got defected on the Thursday because it doesn't have any resonators (I knew it wasn't legal just didn't think id get done so soon) what im gonna do now is put the resonators back on but run the pipe through them, so it looks legal but isn't.

What do u guys reckon, it sounds awesome now, will this destroy its note?

Edited by Touring2011

The law (at least as far as I'm aware) regarding exhaust systems is as follows
1) Must be below a specified decibel limit (not 100% but it differs depending on year of manufacture of the vehicle)
and
2) When modifying the exhaust, you need to maintain the same amount of "sound limiting devices" (aka mufflers/resonators) as factory.

So removing the resonator isn't illegal per say, as long as you keep the total number of "mufflers" overall.

That said, if I understand you correctly you intend to install a "shell" of a resonator over your pipes. This would give the external appearance of being legal but have no actual effect on sound levels. I cannot see how you could get pinged again in future using this method, as long as you stay below the required decibel level for your vehicle.

• Like 1

Get a set of X force one you will be no problems

If you are referring to X-force Varex mufflers, then technically they are illegal and defectable too. Now before people kick up a stink and say that Aston/Ferrari/HSV etc all have variable exhausts, they are all automatic and not driver-controlled like the Varex is.

Thanks guys, all very helpful, I like the idea of a shell of a resonator Steven, any ideas where you can grab one of those, or as I have kept my standard resonators should I just run a 2 and a quarter pipe through them?

run a pipe through the resonators, otherwise you will get a horrible hollow resonant sound in your exhaust (much like you would gutting a catalytic converter) that will make you cringe every time you hit the loud pedal

• Like 1