Brake wear

I'm just wondering if any Corolla auto owners have yet had to replace their brake pads, and if so, what sort of distance did you get from them?

I know I won't get the sort of mileage from them that I got out of my Starlet's front pads ... I made my dealer replace them at the 100,000km service, because I'm mechanically brainless, suspicious and possibly just a little bit silly ... they were lucky to be half-worn at worst!

On the other hand, the front pads on an auto Festiva I once owned (please don't hurt me, it was an honest mistake! :P ) were gone by 30,000km.

Autos obviously wear their brakes sooner than (standard) manuals, hence why I want to hear from other auto owners.

Japanese Corollas Front will go to around 40,000kms on average... Rears around 80,000kms...

South Aftrican Corollas Both Front and rear will require discs and pads at 20,000kms...

Ofcourse there will be differences for different drivers and also manual vs Automatic...

But thats the average ballpark figures anywayz...

I'm just wondering if any Corolla auto owners have yet had to replace their brake pads, and if so, what sort of distance did you get from them?

I know I won't get the sort of mileage from them that I got out of my Starlet's front pads ... I made my dealer replace them at the 100,000km service, because I'm mechanically brainless, suspicious and possibly just a little bit silly ... they were lucky to be half-worn at worst!

On the other hand, the front pads on an auto Festiva I once owned (please don't hurt me, it was an honest mistake!  :P ) were gone by 30,000km.

Autos obviously wear their brakes sooner than (standard) manuals, hence why I want to hear from other auto owners.

Yeah Buddah, but how hard do u drive your auto beast? My baby's just spent 3 weeks or so living in the upper rev range and i'm starting to worry about the break pads too. how do we check them?

On the other hand, the front pads on an auto Festiva I once owned (please don't hurt me, it was an honest mistake!   :P ) were gone by 30,000km.

Yeah Buddah, but how hard do u drive your auto beast? My baby's just spent 3 weeks or so living in the upper rev range and i'm starting to worry about the break pads too. how do we check them?

The Buddhamobile gets the occasional hard run, but not as often as I would like given the crappy Dunlops that come standard ... has Toyota ever put decent tyres on any of its models??? :P

In terms of the brakes, I try to look after them as much as possible, I consider myself to be a very conservative braker, unless an emergency situation comes up, of course. Mrs Buddha sometimes is a bit later and harder on them, but nothing severe.

I only ask because I was walking through a shopping centre carpark today, while a woman and her family in a Mitsubishi van drove past, with the tell-tale squeal of the brake indicators. Its like a lower-level "fingers down the blackboard" noise and I'd prefer not to hear it from my car for a while yet! :D

I just got mine replaced at 52k. I was thinking i could get more out of them....but nope.

The rear brake pads got worn out pretty bad because the calipers got jammed(still dont know why), now everythings lubed up and should be fine. Had to get my rotors machined and now im up for rotor replacement next time too because of the weird brake jam.

hmm wonder what rotors are out there. Has anyone had their rotors replaced yet?anything you suggest?

On the other hand, the front pads on an auto Festiva I once owned (please don't hurt me, it was an honest mistake!  :P ) were gone by 30,000km.

What did you expect ?

It's a FORD <_< :( :o

On the other hand, the front pads on an auto Festiva I once owned (please don't hurt me, it was an honest mistake!   :P ) were gone by 30,000km.

What did you expect ?

It's a FORD <_< :( :o

Well, actually it was a Kia with Ford badges. :P

Dude...had my Corolla 2003 (Brand New) and I haven't touched the brake pads since then! I'm not hearing any noise when I brake. Though I've topped up the brake fluids twice and that's about it.

Cheers