New to this site :) looking for ways to improve my car :)

Hey all, I own a 1998 Toyota celica sx-r I live in sydney and I wanna up grade my cars performance (non turbo ) every and any input/advice is greatly welcomed

Welcome!
There is not much you can do to the 5S-FE that is really worth it...
The best performance 'mod' for a 6th Gen celica would be a 3S-GTE Engine swap (which in Australia is VERY expensive)
Alternativly, you could try for a 5S-GTE or similar hybrid turbo engine, but again in Australia this is very costly... I have also seen people drop 6cyl camry and other engines into the Celica which have actually dropped the fuel consumtion aswell, so there are a few options depending on the cash you want to spend..

Normal mods such as a sports exhaust and CAI will give you like 5hp increase in high end, which you wont really notice during everyday driving, but they sound 'better' depending on your taste. Just please don't remove the cat, it is illegal and sounds like crap when removed...
You could also buy parts such as carbon fibre hoods or wings that arn't performance parts but make the car lighter, allowing the engine to work less (both saving in fuel for normal driving and allowing for increased performance when racing)

The 5S-FE is not a really sports engine, and the Celica is not really a sports car without the 3S-GTE or similar turbo engine.

If you are interested, go on over to http://www.6gc.net/forums.
This forumn is just for 6gen Celica owners and is full of usefull information that may help you, just search for what you want on it and continue to browes :)