Stolen spare tyre - Kluger

John1

KX-R & ACV40R,

what noises and rattles????

• Yes yes I am sure your method is perfect, better than what Toyota designed.

I own the car so I put things where I like.

• agree, how I treat my genuine alloy spare + tyre, spare covers is my choice too

not if it has a chain & a padlock

• just make sure you don’t make it so hard for the other driver to take it out…. Usually you need to change the spare in a semi-emergency situation, the less time you are stranded next to the road (probably highway) and changing the tyre the better. It is a matter of fact that motorists have been killed by the road side changing tyres.

your choice but you would get 1/10th of its value.

• Really ? let’s see stay tuned…. I sold an ikea bulk bed for 75% of the price I bought, so not everything is as pessimistic as you think.

times must be tough?

• Yeah, really bad, I paid cash for my brand new Kluger by the way.
Edited by fl360

Hi upset Kluger Owner,

sorry to hear that...

some people in the US suggest that you can ask the auto electrician to connect one extra alarm door switch to the winding mechanism... so if it is un-winded without the doors being unlocked the alarm will sound.... but I am not sure if this will trully add value to your car and someone have the keys can still take it....

I am lucky that some intuition stopped me from taking my kluger for the first "free service", which actually does nothing... otherwise my spare could have been gone too....

KX-R & ACV40R,

• Really ? let’s see stay tuned…. I sold an ikea bulk bed for 75% of the price I bought, so not everything is as pessimistic as you think.
  • Yeah, really bad, I paid cash for my brand new Kluger by the way
  • Should have spent the $ on better meds? :-)

Edited by KX-R & ACV40R

KX-R & ACV40R,

i think you need to seek help. monitoring this thread and making personal attacks on internet forum at 4am is not right... not worth going crazy for a spare tyre and some covers....

Edited by fl360

The solutions so far...

1. Fit the winding socket and bar inside and leave it connected with some rag or foam over it to stop from rattling.
2. Remove the spare and leave it off.
3. Grind the 2 lugs off the underside of the winding pin to make it more difficult to attach any external winding device.
4. Fit a chain (plastic coated to prevent damage to the rim) and padlock. Not sure where the chain could be secured but there may be somewhere.

From all reports it seems the most likely place for the spare to go missing is when it is left for servicing etc...

So, I got the car back from a service yesterday to be told the spare wheel cover is missing. I straight away said (I think about 3 times) the spare tyre is there its just the cover missing? To which the reply was - the spare is there. I was told to look at the web as it has 'all about it'.

Now just wondering have I been lucky and perhaps the no gooders were spoiled in their attempt or ....

Thoughts please.

Hi 2011 KX-S Cosmos Blue,

Just be a realist, and get an cheap aftermarket spare.

If you still have the factory tyre + alloy + cover better to put it in a safe place and save for future use, should your other working wheels are damaged in the future. or alternatively sell it.

happy to help to select the right one.

when you need to use the spare, it is wise to arrange it so the tyre will likely to be there (as long as it is still a factory alloy people will still want to take it, one way or another), and you also want to minimise your tyre change time so adding additional security measures will lenghten the time, and/or someone else will not know how to remove it at all. the less time you spend stranded by the roadside, the better.

Edited by fl360

Now just wondering have I been lucky and perhaps the no gooders were spoiled in their attempt or ....

Thoughts please.

Sounds like someone has tried?? Was it the center piece or the whole cover? The center piece can fall off easily if not fitted properly.

Did you have any form of lock on the wheel? They may have got disturbed in the act?? Anyway, you are lucky it seems. :-)

I had mine serviced at a Toyota dealership last week and mentioned to them that I have checked the spare tyre and that they are liable for it while it is with them.

They knew nothing of them being stolen... I said that they should check the internet then.

The solutions so far...

1. Fit the winding socket and bar inside and leave it connected with some rag or foam over it to stop from rattling.

2. Remove the spare and leave it off.

3. Grind the 2 lugs off the underside of the winding pin to make it more difficult to attach any external winding device.

4. Fit a chain (plastic coated to prevent damage to the rim) and padlock. Not sure where the chain could be secured but there may be somewhere.

From all reports it seems the most likely place for the spare to go missing is when it is left for servicing etc...

Thanks for that, Mine was stolen. I checked it was there when I last got it serviced. Most klugers I see driving around don't have a spare

• Like 1

You don't have to get an original replacement. Go to a wreckers and get something that will fit that stud pattern.

You only need it for emergency. You don't use the spare when you rotate the tyres.

Edited by KX-R & ACV40R

hi ladys and gents toyota australia admit you cant lock the spare wheel like you can prado rav4 and land cruiser ive been on the phone day in day out and to success what i have done is manufatured a antitheft shrould which is made of stainless steel and can be fitted whith a 10mm socket and 10mm open end spanner for a cost of $50 including postage as for the wheel you can buy rav4 wheel which are the same stud patten for around $150 with second hand tyre and a vynal cover for $30 dollars .thats what i have done to fix toyotas desing fault and as for charging 2100 for a sper wheel and tyre is a joke you can buy nice after market brand new wheels for $2400 a set.

• Like 1

Cost Free Solutions: for Stolen Spare tyre-Kluger

1. (Pic1) Fit the winding socket and bar inside and leave it connected with some foam and tape over it to stop from ratting.

2.(Pic2) Make up a cover plate all lid to go over the pulley and use existing bolts and nuts.

(Pic 3) Need Help, how do I "stop the crims taking the four tyres off the out side of the car. LOL

post-32344-0-66357300-1375155741_thumb.j

post-32344-0-97670700-1375155927_thumb.j

post-32344-0-68831900-1375156040_thumb.j

• Like 2

John... the cover looks a neat job.

Would it be possible to use coach head bolts?

These determined bogan scum pricks would be able to undo those nuts from the look of it?

We must remember that from reports a lot of wheels go missing from places that have access to the inside of the car so they can just wind it down as normal.

I had mine serviced recently and when I collected the car it was parked on the outer edge of the Toyota dealership carpark nearest the back street and it was left UNLOCKED. Before paying for the service I went out and lifted the bonnet and had a look over the car. No one approached me to see who I was or what I was doing.

They don't care and take no care.

For me the two best options are

A. removing the spare completely (I have never had need to use one in 50 yrs of driving so why cart one around.. lucky huh) or

B. A plastic coated chain and padlock.

The latter one I would trust the most.

have not tried coach head bolts, maybe that's a better way.

Also I have on the car is a Chain and padlock

Pic 2: chain goes around bracket for tyre to sit on

Pic 1: chain goes around Towbar

takes a bit of time to set up, but it is a cheap option.

you can use 1 or 2 chains

post-32344-0-13271900-1375163866_thumb.j

post-32344-0-18209500-1375164030_thumb.j

• Like 1

I am favouring the picture 1 above with the winding socket bar linked through the top of the winding bot and the tape to secure in place. Don't have a tow bar so cant do that option. Its amaising that Toyota have an option for Prado and RAV 4 and not this one. can't wait until I buy a new one in Nov next year and play games with the salesman (if they haven't fixed it by then on the new model).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome just secured mine with chain and padlock, the spare ain't going anywhere. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Edited by Air788
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In July 2013 I booked my Toyota Kluger in for a advantage service With Phil Gilbert Toyota ( Sydney) for a normal 25,000 km service. As usual I went in and hand over my car for service and I left.

After 2 hrs, i received a call from Phil Gilbert Toyota, stating that the spare wheel on my car is missing, suspecting that someone could be robbed it. I was really shocked and I asked how that was possible? Toyota should have safety locking mechanism? Answer was no such thing on Kluger models, it’s very easy to access and remove the entire kit within no time. They told its quite often happing in all kluger models around Australia.

I have raised few questions with Phil Gilbert customer service

1. Why has Toyota Australia not alerted their customers, that this is happening and how easy it is for anyone to Rob their spare wheel from under their car? ( No Answer ).

1. Why Phil Gilbert Toyota, does not having any check point before handing over the car for service? ? ( No Answer ).

1. What is cost of spare tyre Assy quote : $2500

1. Any prevent lock available to avoid future theft? ? ( No Answer ).

1. Spare wheels are in stock? NO, It takes four weeks, it has to come from Japan

I have logged complaint Toyota customer service.

1. Toyota Australia customer service very poor in relation with customer queries and response time.
  2. Why Toyota Australia not alert customers? ( no answer )

1. Any prevent lock available to avoid future theft? ( no idea )

1. Asked for compensation due to Toyota negligent ( no answer )

1. Asked to transfer call to service manager or his name ( not provided )

1. What can I do if my car tyre go flat, any suggestion or help ( no idea)

1. Driving without spare tyre it offence, how do I go work without a car. Can Toyota support in this matter ( no idea)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

To all Kluger owners who have had there spare wheel and cover stolen, like mine was. I have designed a full stainless steel 32mm cover plate cylinder that sits over the access nut from the undercarriage and is welded to the spare wheel access plate that stops thieves from accessing your spare wheel and cover from under the vehicle. This product is designed to be tamper proof and strong.

If anybody is interested please email me to arrange fitting of stainless steel cylinder at a reasonable cost.

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

I am new to this site ... joined up this afternoon as we have an Aurion, which we love, but are looking to purchase a Kluger. Took a 3 year old Grande for a test drive today and are very interested, but all this talk about stolen spares is a real concern. So can someone tell me, has the issue been resolved since the last post? Is the problem as big and widespread as it appears to be? Are the spares disappearing mainly at Toyota service centres or are thieves targetting shopping mall car parks and crawling under the vehicles? Has there been any developement as far as a good anti theft device goes? If the issue is as bad as this forum leads me to believe, it could well be a deal breaker for us as far as the Kluger goes. Needless to say, the salesman at the dealsership we went to never mentioned the problem.