Changing stock air intake

RoadRunner

Hey all, I am going to have a go at modding the stock air intake to allow more air to enter and better sound.

only because it seems more fun and to learn about the car but also there is more rules here about adding a different filter as it needs to be in a box.

any tips before i start things i should look out for?

ill post updates and pics if anyone''s interested.

- AJ

You can buy a k&n filter element that fits the standard airbox. Before I fitted my cold air intake I managed to get the butterfly in the factory intake to stay open permanently by swapping the vacuum tubes around on the diaphram.

• Like 1

You can buy a k&n filter element that fits the standard airbox. Before I fitted my cold air intake I managed to get the butterfly in the factory intake to stay open permanently by swapping the vacuum tubes around on the diaphram.

I have that coming in the mail, how do you do swap the butterfly?

So if anyone is interested in doing any mods say a cold air intake or typhoon than and is in NSW then take this into account:

this is off the NSW epa website,

Filters

When fitting your vehicle with a pod-type air filter you must ensure the fitting does not cause an increase in noise from the air intake system. The EPA considers that this type of modification is acceptable when the air filter element is effectively encased or boxed-in.

So as long as it's in closed than it's fine, and yes you can get defected for it.

not saying you can't put one on but if you want it to be legal keep that in mind. how would you fit it in the air box? anyway?

Just to clarify, I have only done it with my 07 model (newer car may be different). There is a plastic butterfly located in the upper inlet of the airbox. This only opens up when the engine is at high speed and load. It is operated by a diaphram located on the top of the larger inlet of the airbox. The butterfly is spring loaded and relies on air pressure to hold it open. By swapping the black tubes around, you can hold it open permanently. I have since removed the factory setup or I would post some photos for you. I believe there may be a thread on here that shows how to do it.

Dunno how to link the thread here (very noob with computer stuff) but use the search function for "air intake mods" in the aurion forum. Look for the thread that at this stage is 24 pages. Should get the info you need out of the first few post.

ill have a look, but in the mean time i have found something that i have not seen any where at all on the forum and seem like it could be good:

http://au.bmcairfilters.com/index.aspx

there is different ones there varying on price and features ill send of an email and find some info, spread the world it might be promising!!!!