forged 3rz turbo

bdrftn

hey guys,

im currently building a forged 3rz turbo engine for my hilux.

i was hoping someone here could give me there opinion on the cam specs i plan on running and letting me know if they will be too big for my application, before i purchase.

I plan on making 250rwkw-350rwkw with an gt30/76r turbo(bigger if i have to).

approx 25~psi.

will be street and track.

cam specs are as follows

2RZ/3RZ - Stage 5 Turbo Camshaft Set

(4500-9500 rpm) High Boost (20-40psi)

Intake Exhaust Valve Lash .007" - .009" .010" - .013" Valve Lift .433" .406" Duration @ .050" 238° 230° Lobe Center 110° 110° Intake Opens 9° BTDC Intake Closes 49° ABDC Exhaust Opens 45° BBDC Exhaust Closes 5° ATDC

thanks in advance, max.

I can't help but wonder what you'll have to do to drop the compression so it won't detonate, and then at low boost it will run very poorly. I suspect your proposed boost is far too great to be practical. I recommend some serious reading of appropriate subject matter. Also, you need to consider the maximum thermal dissipation capacity of the motor/head. That will limit the amount of power you can produce. But then if you're building for the track, and the rules allow it, you can always use anti-detonation fluid for that and extra cooling. See Red Bull air race engine specs. etc. You are about to make a large amount of cash very much smaller, and for what?????? Ego is not a substitute for wisdom.

compression will be dropped using forged 8.5:1 pistons and a .051 cometic head gasket.

im building it mainly for the street but will track it as much as time allows.

Only live once mate, gotta spend that hard earned cash on something fun ;)

Have it your way, but remember no-one will ever pay you what you've spent when you get tired of/crash it. I hope you're still single, that's not the car a family man should bother with, as the risks are real, and too often fully realized. Plus it will attract police attention constantly, partic if you try to run it hard on the roads. If you increase available power in the chassis/suspension/brakes etc by >10% or alter the weight distribution much, it will need full certification and engineers approvals, before you can consider licensing it. Often need pre-approval before you start. Getting caught with an undecleared modified vehicle can cause heaps of trouble, espec if you've crashed and a CTP claim is involved.

Edited by Manxman

thanks for your concern and lecture but im not an 18 year old fresh with a license nor is it the first performance car i have built.

i know the risks!

You dont build a car to make money on it!

Im thinking i chose the wrong forum for my questions?!

I can't help but wonder what you'll have to do to drop the compression so it won't detonate, and then at low boost it will run very poorly. I suspect your proposed boost is far too great to be practical. I recommend some serious reading of appropriate subject matter. Also, you need to consider the maximum thermal dissipation capacity of the motor/head. That will limit the amount of power you can produce. But then if you're building for the track, and the rules allow it, you can always use anti-detonation fluid for that and extra cooling. See Red Bull air race engine specs. etc. You are about to make a large amount of cash very much smaller, and for what?????? Ego is not a substitute for wisdom.

Have it your way, but remember no-one will ever pay you what you've spent when you get tired of/crash it. I hope you're still single, that's not the car a family man should bother with, as the risks are real, and too often fully realized. Plus it will attract police attention constantly, partic if you try to run it hard on the roads. If you increase available power in the chassis/suspension/brakes etc by >10% or alter the weight distribution much, it will need full certification and engineers approvals, before you can consider licensing it. Often need pre-approval before you start. Getting caught with an undecleared modified vehicle can cause heaps of trouble, espec if you've crashed and a CTP claim is involved.

Who the hell do you think you are with your rusted out piece of junk, trying to tell people how to modify their car! You are running your car into the ground and expect people to listen to your rubbish advice? Here's a tip, go play in traffic!

Even the best of drivers can end up dead with just a little error-ask Peter Brock for instance. Performance vehicles tend to be driven harder than plain ones, and I'm questioning the sanity of taking the risks involved, considering that the op might have family responsibilities. But it's his choice, and his accountability. My father died when I was 5 yo in a sporting motor vehicle accident. I know what it's like to grow up fatherless. My vehicle is old, and yes, it's currently being deliberately run down in the gentlest possible manner. Hopefully, I will have the necessary skills and money to repair my original motor before the existing one fails. Then it will continue to be driven in a vehicle conserving manner. I am not a skilled driver, so I compensate by being alert, aware and careful.

I see no value in having competition capacity vehicles on public roads shared with ordinary vehicles. IMHO it leads to trouble.

My appologies if I gave offense, None was intended. I was only asking the question, and providing what information I though might be usefull.

Usefull information would have been an answer to my question, not a lecture or some random bloke questioning my driving abilities or family responsibilities.

Cheers Trent and Hiro, i have signed up to toymods.

Incase anyone was wondering or interested in the result.

These cams would have lost me alot of down low hp and tourqe for street driven duties, i have ended up selecting the stage 2.

• Like 1