Abnormal Fuel Capacity..... noob question

bullz74

Hi, new here and drives a 03 Ascent Hatch Audo

After reading a couple of threads regarding fuel economy, i realised most people have a pretty decent bang for their buck. Now the abnormal thing about my rolla is that i can only fill up around 36litres even when the fuel lamp is on, and usually i can produce around 350-400km with a full tank..... now i just want to know if that is normal, but the strange thing is why the fuel tank can't take more than 36litres, when is supposingly 55litres. is it because my rolla is one of the earlier models? or could it be some other problem?

thx

Edited by bullz74

Thanks there, but i want to ask even if when the fuel lamp is on, is it possible that there's still at least 10 litres of fuel left? because usually when the lamp is on, the fuel gauge is basically rock bottom. I will try a ECU reset later...

Thanks there, but i want to ask even if when the fuel lamp is on, is it possible that there's still at least 10 litres of fuel left? because usually when the lamp is on, the fuel gauge is basically rock bottom. I will try a ECU reset later...

Welcome to the forums!

With our auto wagon, the fuel light comes on sometime before the gauge gets to "E", and there's still quite a bit of fuel left ... often similar to you (35-40 litres, depending on how long the light has been on). Once we get to "E", the tank still only takes 44/45 litres, so even then there's a good 100kms or more left to dry.

Took a while to get used to, but I'd much rather have it say less than correct rather than more! :D

Yea same here, my fuel light goes on when i stil got a few litres left in the tank...its just the design of the fuel tank..and the mechanism that measures how much fuel is left...not very accurate..

For more info look up...how stuff works.com

Well, when the fuel light comes on, it doesn't mean that your tank is fully empty to begin with. Try an ECU reset and see how your fuel consumptions goes after that.

then again 350-400kms on 36L is pretty good.

I get 674km on 42.15L... :huh:

Well, when the fuel light comes on, it doesn't mean that your tank is fully empty to begin with. Try an ECU reset and see how your fuel consumptions goes after that.

i fit 54.55L of fuel into my stivo today... i'd say that was cutting it pretty fine.

i fit 54.55L of fuel into my stivo today... i'd say that was cutting it pretty fine.

You still had 5 litres left, had to be good for another 50 kays at least! :D

The Corolla's are 55L tanks?

All Corollas except Stivo are 55 litres.

Stivos are 60 litres.

Actually, I wonder if the Stivo tank fits the wagon? Just wondering ... any ideas?

Edited by Buddha

You still had 5 litres left, had to be good for another 50 kays at least! :D

ahh very true sorry, my mistake, i've only ever read a Levin manual, never read a sportivo one. need to find the person who drove my car previously! Sydney people help! :P

Edited by micky_tee

Come on people! :D

read your manuals!

Sportivo = 60L tank

Others - 55L tank

Fuel light on = as with most other cars has ATLEAST 7 litres in the tank left.... hence its only a warning.

Speak to some and be suprised at how much further they have travelled when the damn fuel light is on. :)

Come on people! :D

read your manuals!

Sportivo = 60L tank

Others - 55L tank

Fuel light on = as with most other cars has ATLEAST 7 litres in the tank left.... hence its only a warning.

Speak to some and be suprised at how much further they have travelled when the damn fuel light is on. :)

I dont have one! :D

like i said i need to find the person who owned the car previously.

or i could just steal dads :P

Our fuel light appeared Monday, we'd probably covered 60-70kms before I filled up this morning with the needle down past E, and the car took just under 45 litres to fill.

Going by that, I reckon my fuel light comes on 7 litres before E and then when it gets to E it still has 10 litres or so!

i have been doing some testing myself. i took my car to toyota service and they had tested my car last week and gave me a report that my south africa auto sedan is running approx 7.5 litres per 100 km but i think they are wrong. i was running regular unleaded.

my fuel light came on at 450 km. i drove until 555 km to fill up with petrol therefore the fuel light was on for the past 105 km. i was able to pump in 48 litres which means 7 litres was left in the tank.

i have been doing some testing myself. i took my car to toyota service and they had tested my car last week and gave me a report that my south africa auto sedan is running approx 7.5 litres per 100 km but i think they are wrong. i was running regular unleaded.

my fuel light came on at 450 km. i drove until 555 km to fill up with petrol therefore the fuel light was on for the past 105 km. i was able to pump in 48 litres which means 7 litres was left in the tank.

How does Toyota service test fuel economy?