Newbie looking for first mod

hi there,

i am looking for changing the headunit, 16" or 17" Rims for my first mod. i search around the net and people said if i want to replace the original mp3 cd player i need a plastic pocket for it? where can i get that thing? and are there any suggestion on choosing rims(sydney area)?

PS: heard of resetting ECU on the first page, should i just started by resetting ECU? (just for no reason?)

You can get the pocket from either toyota or any other decent audio installer, if your getting the cd player installed professionally they will do it anyhow.

17' rims at least, don't bother with 16's... they just look too small.

Don't bother resetting the ECU unless you have performance mods that seem to be acting a bit strange or you have just installed a new performance mod (such as exhaust, CAI, headers, etc.)

did he say he was after looks or performance

The difference between 16' and 17' in performance is very very minimal, get 16' and generally most people will not be happy with the look as the wheel still looks more like a stockish sized wheel. If the difference were between 17' and 18' then I would agree with you that it would impose on performance.

2' upgrade on stock sized wheels is generally advised by professional wheel fitters and generally in most states road laws. Has to be a reason why they wouldn't be too bothered with that sort of upgrade.

If you are talking about the weight of a wheel then as long as your carefull with what sort of wheel you get and don't get the fully sick style of chrome then there should be no problem.

i got a pocket and stuff and live in sydney cos i got my self a car and dont drive my dads corolla i changed his back to stock and took the deck i installed in his, got a spare pocket and stuff. i used it like few months perfect condittion. ill sell it to you 25$ contact me yea!

so can we put 18s on our 03 corollas? or how about 19s with out problems? + its all legal right to get like 19s on our cars yea??...

i got a pocket and stuff and live in sydney cos i got my self a car and dont drive my dads corolla i changed his back to stock and took the deck i installed in his, got a spare pocket and stuff. i used it like few months perfect condittion. ill sell it to you 25$ contact me yea!

so can we put 18s on our 03 corollas? or how about 19s with out problems? + its all legal right to get like 19s on our cars yea??...

NOPE definately not legal to fit 19's but we can fit 19"x8" i've put a set on before LOL!!!!! *** it was fun it looked like a little monster-truck!!!! :lol: :D :P ^_^

depends what you going for!

on my previous car i started with looks then went into sound & performance.

i put rims on 1st then a body kit. then my sound and motor install.

but a nice set of rims will change the car completly!

so id go rimns 1st.

Sorry i dont have any pics to show but in my car i have a sony XAV-77 monitor (single din) and to get it to look some-what factory and neat i have used a black perspex cut to the single din size and then glued it to the back of the dash trim it gives it a great look!!! It's another option for fitting a head unit :D

did he say he was after looks or performance

The difference between 16' and 17' in performance is very very minimal, get 16' and generally most people will not be happy with the look as the wheel still looks more like a stockish sized wheel. If the difference were between 17' and 18' then I would agree with you that it would impose on performance.

2' upgrade on stock sized wheels is generally advised by professional wheel fitters and generally in most states road laws. Has to be a reason why they wouldn't be too bothered with that sort of upgrade.

If you are talking about the weight of a wheel then as long as your carefull with what sort of wheel you get and don't get the fully sick style of chrome then there should be no problem.

difference between 16 and 17 is not really minimal. i guess it also depends on how u drive. 16s do have a bit more grip and aren't as nervous as 17s near the limit

This thread shows some peoples after-market HU installs which I think look great:

http://9thgencorolla.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3438

My question is, where do they get that plastic pocket/bezel that goes around the HU and sits flush with our Corolla HVAC??

672743_41_full.jpg

I'd really like to find this out before I start looking at upgrading.

Damn that is neat. you can buy them from sounddomain.com but they dont ship international. anyone have a friend in the US that could reship it for us? maybe we could get a group buy happening.

EDIT: or UK? www.digitalsounddirect.co.uk has another version. *continues hunting for someone that sells to aus*

Edited by iniff

ive seen this before ..

and if im not wrong .... the head unit is not really 100% secured in ...

the black plastic frame is screwed on directly in to the head unit .. and then just slides into the space .. so nothing actually screws on the car at any point !

Whereas the way we all do it now ... the metal peices screw on the the h/u and then that screws to the car ...

so probably some security issues ... and maybe safety as well ...

But still .. it is very neat ...