Tarago TCR10R Key and Keyless entry remote details?

rthy

Hi Team,

Just wanting to shed some light on the 1990-2000 model TCR10 tarago keyless entry and chip key, information doesn't seem to be readily available.

Looking at purchasing a 99 tcr10 but only has 1 genuine key, which looks like it has an immobilizer chip in the key fob, Are they easy to replace? 
Only saw one guy selling a generic Toyota "97-02" key with unprogrammed chips on ebay for $40, are these the same for all Toyota keys of the same era?

The other thing is the keyless entry remote, there is alarm and security light,  but it never turns on according to the current owner.
Haven't found any luck with this, did some searching but doesn't seem to have much if any info the the remote.
Anyone got a picture of one or part number? easy to program?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi

I would contact Toyota and speak to the spare parts person and ask them what options are available for you regarding your key and central locking needs.

This will provide you with the basic information and then you can check with other after market services that maybe able to provide you with better value for money options.

This way you can research the subject and maybe help others in a similar situation

Cheers.   

Edited by Aries2016

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

Unfortunately Toyota was unable to locate a remote for my vin so ended up with an aftermarket system.

Cheers,

Leo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

No worries im glad it worked out, i remember doing a job to install an after market central locking kit in a toyota hilux dual cab ute but he had cable mechanisms in his doors instead of the standard metal rods so i tried to modify the parts to operate his cables from 10am until 2am  with no luck, he needed the cable conversation kit that was a long day.

Cheers   

No worries after

• 4 years later...

Know this is an very old thread, but due to google search believe it may help others trying to get a keyless remote for pre 1999 Previa, Tarago vehicles.

Firstly, none of the post 2000 Toyota programming and learning procedures will work, tried all and didn't get the lock/unlock cycling mentioned after going through steps recommended.

With my TCR10 it is apparently much easier only a matter of locating what was falsely referred to as the 'ECU'.

Somewhere under the dash in my R/H drive van is a black box with a programming switch.

First put key in ignition and turn to ON, not actually cranking over the engine.

Once you've found the 'black box' (no idea what it's called but not ECU), with a pen or paper clip wire push the button in for 3 seconds.

Keep the new remote close because you have 5 seconds to push a button on it which will then recognize its frequency.

Turn off ignition, get out of the vehicle and use remote where you should hear a chirp with lights flashing once.

This is how to set new keyless remotes in pre 1998 models, with factory alarm and immobilizer installed.

Please enlighten me to what the 'black box' is actually called rather than Engine Control Unit which is under my passenger seat.

Hope this helps someone out there who loves their old Egg, or what I see as a Spaceship!

Edited by Rustic_Paul55
Correction

It is an "ECU" in a way because it is an Electronic Control Unit, just most people normally think ECU only refers to the one for the engine.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Rustic_Paul55 said:

Know this is an very old thread, but due to google search believe it may help others trying to get a keyless remote for pre 1999 Previa, Tarago vehicles.

Firstly, none of the post 2000 Toyota programming and learning procedures will work, tried all and didn't get the lock/unlock cycling mentioned after going through steps recommended.

With my TCR10 it was much simpler, a matter of locating what was falsely referred to as the ECU.

Under the dash in my R/H drive van is a black box with a programming switch.

First put key in ignition and turn to ON, not actually cranking over the engine.

Once you've found the 'black box' (no idea what it's called but not ECU), with a pen or paper clip wire push the button in for 3 seconds.

Keep the new remote close because you have 5 seconds to push a button on it which will then recognize its frequency.

Turn off ignition, get out of the vehicle and use remote where you should hear a chirp with lights flashing once.

This is how to set new keyless remotes in pre 1998 models, with factory alarm and immobilizer installed.

Please enlighten me to what the 'black box' is actually called rather than ECU which is under seat.

Hope this helps someone out there who loves their old Egg, or what I see as a Spaceship!

Gday Rustic_Paul55, will this also work for a 99 model TCR10? Where did you get the new remote from?

Cheers Ron

Thanks yes understand, so far under drivers side dash have found a Transponder Key ECU.

Update; though still have not found a black box with reset button or hole to press switch?

Nothing in manual I bought.

Edited by Rustic_Paul55
Correction

9 hours ago, LuckyRon said:

Gday Rustic_Paul55, will this also work for a 99 model TCR10? Where did you get the new remote from?

Cheers Ron

So far all I can say is, hopefully! Mine is a later model TCR10R aswell and so far no joy in finding any pin hole to reset anywhere.

Fortunately there's a '99 model at the local wreckers so I took out parts (black boxes) from under the dash but nothing.

The '91 models have the switch on the EngineCU, not here.

Will ring the right person eventually for concrete info.😊 Got the 2 button remote from wrecking yards 98 TCR10.

Edited by Rustic_Paul55
Add