GSU45R Loud metallic noise from engine - failing water pump?

idisc

Hello,

I have a 2010 GSU45R with 50,000km.

I'm not sure if this has always been the case but I recently changed the parking location of my car (next to a wall) and have now noticed there is a loose, metallic rattling type sound coming from the lower driver's side of the engine block when the car is warm.

It's quite loud and if you put your head near the drivers side wheel arch you will hear it. It's so loud that if I open the bonnet, I can hear the sound from inside my house.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I've been servicing the car myself since the fixed price servicing period expired but troubleshooting this is probably beyond me, and as I'm also due for the spark plug change, and haven't changed the fuel filter, was thinking of taking it to a mechanic.

I don't want to take the car back to Toyota so am looking for recommendations on the lower north shore of Sydney.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by idisc

It appears the sound is coming from the Crankshaft pulley, or thereabouts...

And then I found this:

http://www.toyota.com.au/news/toyota-australia-announces-recall-on-previous-generation-avalon-camry-v6-and-kluger-models

Has anyone had this rectified in their vehicles, and what were the symptoms? I believe this affected the model previous to mine; I have the GSU45R.

Edited by idisc

3 hours ago, idisc said:

It appears the sound is coming from the Crankshaft pulley, or thereabouts...

And then I found this:

http://www.toyota.com.au/news/toyota-australia-announces-recall-on-previous-generation-avalon-camry-v6-and-kluger-models

Has anyone had this rectified in their vehicles, and what were the symptoms? I believe this affected the model previous to mine; I have the GSU45R.

That recall was for MZ-powered vehicles in Aus - note the mention of Camry V6 (as opposed to Aurion) and the Avalon (only came out in one series).  You have the newer GR engine, different family.

I took the car to a mechanic over the weekend.

The five minute diagnosis is a failing water pump.... the car has only travelled 50,000km; is this common.to fail so early?

The car has been booked in for this week and the initial diagnosis will be confirmed before the pump is replaced.... this is going to be expensive.

I took a video of the sound:

Edited by idisc