Elise break in procedure for the 2zz-ge

The Elise break in procedure for the 2zz-ge is kind of interesting. It is far more in depth and detailed than what Toyota says. Here is an excerpt from the Elise 111R manual about break in.

quote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Experience #4: Running-in

What the Lotus manual recommends is the following (Excerpt from EU manual; US may differ!):

“Although the Elise/Exige powertrain is built to close tolerances using modern technology, the progressive and sympathetic running-in (or bedding-in) of a new engine and transmission remains a major factor in attaining efficient operation with smooth, durable and economic performance to last throughout the life of the vehicle. Failure to comply with the following running-in provisions will invalidate the terms of the vehicle warranty:

It is important during the car’s early life to limit the workload on the engine and thus control the heat generated within it, which is primarily a function of throttle opening and rpm. However, being too sympathetic on the car will not allow the piston rings to bed in satisfactorily, so a balance of spirited and gentle use is required. For the first 600 miles (1000km), use no more than moderate throttle openings (about half of the available accelerator pedal travel) and do not run the engine continuously at engine speeds over 4500rpm. Occasional short bursts at wider throttle and higher rpm will be beneficial, as will a constantly changing cruising speed and making full use of the gearbox. Do not allow the engine to labour in too high a gear ratio, but change down, and let the engine operate in its natural power band.

When changing gear, use only a light touch on the gear lever. Forcing the change will cause unnecessary wear on the system components and result in higher shift efforts being required. Allow brakes to bed in by avoiding needless heavy braking for the first 100 miles (160km).

After 600 miles (1000km) have been covered, full throttle and/or maximum rpm may be used for short periods, but not until ‘After Sales’ service has been carried out should full vehicle performance be exploited.

Note that in order to aid fault diagnosis and identify vehicle misuse, various operating parameters are continuously monitored and recorded in the engine electronic controller, which data may be downloaded by Lotus dealers on demand.

‘After Sales’ service is carried out at 1.000-1.500 miles/1.600-2.400km or 12 months from the vehicle date of sale). You pay only for materials used…"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Elise has the same motor as ours right?

If you read the article it says that if u abuse the motor the computer will have data on this. I know that this topic has been talked to death about but could there be any data recording device in the computer? Or is it that the elise only has it?

well on my pre delivery test drive with the dealer my friend who was driving at the time (i had no licence) hit lift all the way to 8k about 5 times....

that was with 36km on the clock...

furthermore his old man works for toyota and is constantly trading his celicas (his on his fourth celica and had 3 mr2's) and he treats them all like crap from day 1 and they have not sprung any problems.

So regarding breaking in, i dont think you have to be sooo soo padantic about it...

Just enjoy that high revving action... and besides the lotus may use a different state of tune to our cars...

Thats all a load of crap, its the price of the elise that counts in this situation. I mean the Corolla is at least 300kilos heavier if not more than an elise, so it has all that extra load put on the engine, yet our manuals are no soo descriptive. I hit lift first time on the way home, so what? im not gona have this car forever.

Thats all a load of crap, its the price of the elise that counts in this situation. I mean the Corolla is at least 300kilos heavier if not more than an elise, so it has all that extra load put on the engine, yet our manuals are no soo descriptive. I hit lift first time on the way home, so what? im not gona have this car forever.

ok ok! calm down! :P

but can i still join club LIFT with my elise tho? :unsure:

i knew that lotus had a 2zzge.......141kw, variable valve lifting, timing and intelligence...... told my mates and their like... yeah sure man, ur full of ****...... hahaha i knew it =o think their the ones for 99.000$ seen them in the wheels mag