Headlight adjustment for HID's in my 05 rolla (HELP)

ZAV

hey i just installed a set of HID's in my 05 rolla and they are too bright now. Ive been trying to adjust my headights but they only seem to be going left or right. Is there another adjustment to go up and down, cuz i can only see 1 more adjustment but the seems to be for my hi-beam.

I just rang toyota and they said one screw is for up and down and one is for left and right, and the low and high beam move as one unit.

But ive I just tries it and i cant seem to get it low enogh without blinding others.

Now that I have to lower my lower my low beam, that means the high beam will lower too.

Has anybody else had trouble with this?

see this is what happens when you do things yourself :P

Your not helping.

The install is good, the car is the prob.

May get toyota to do the adjustment next week at my service.

So i wont drive my car at night for a week.

I worked it out

One of my headlighs adjust fine, the other does not since it wont dip down anymore (damn Toyota). So I have had to completely unsrew the left right adjustment, and turn the headlight by hand. Its only hanging by the up down adjustment at the momemnt so i'm gonna pull the headlight out on the weekend and see what wrong with it (damn Toyota).

Also note the workshop manual is wrong for the facelift atleast. You turn the screwdriver clockwose to dip the headlight down and anti-clockwise to dip it up, the workshop manual has it the other way around.

I havent used the high beams yet, but i'm guessing that i will have to buy another set of HIDs for the high beam, since they have dipped also.

Edited by ZAV

hey i just installed a set of HID's in my 05 rolla and they are too bright now. Ive been trying to adjust my headights but they only seem to be going left or right. Is there another adjustment to go up and down, cuz i can only see 1 more adjustment but the seems to be for my hi-beam.

The standard headlights were never designed to be fitted with HID Globes.

I think it is also illegal to have them fitted for the same reason. They give off too much glare to other drivers.

The headlight reflectors and lenses of OEM HID headlights (=optics) are engineered specifically for use with HID arc capsules. The design not only considers the source focal points, but the amount of lumen to be distributed. These factors are often overlooked when retrofitting is considered. OEM HID optics distributes the increased lumen output of this bulb farther ahead on the road, wider to both sides, without giving more directly in front of the subjected vehicle. This provides motorists with much WIDER AND DEEPER night time vision.

By contrast, halogen headlight optics do not spread the light to the degree of OEM HID. This is simply because a 55 watt halogen bulb (or even a 100 watter) cannot match the lumen output of HID. A lower number of lumens means less light to spread out. And a bigger portion of the total light output have to be placed where its mostly needed: straight ahead. Now, consider what what happens when someone inserts a 2800-3200 lumen HID arc capsule into a headlight designed to distribute only 1/3 of this amount of light. Suddenly, there's too much light in areas that does not need more light:

Too much light above cutoff line which would be above horizon on a flat road. This will glare oncoming traffic.

Too much light below cutoff line which would glare dangerously towards oncoming traffic on a hill.

Too much foreground lighting. The driver will get the intense foreground lighting back in his own eyes, making eyes less sensitive for down the road illumination beyond 70 meters down the road.

More info here !

This is what you need to do !

Edited by rolla02

The large screw with the metal teeth on the edge brings it up/down but its doesn't do much good as the rolla headlight reflectors disperse the light too wide anyway.

its not too bright, u're just not used to it. just aim them as low as u can and drive.

The large screw with the metal teeth on the edge brings it up/down but its doesn't do much good as the rolla headlight reflectors disperse the light too wide anyway.

its not too bright, u're just not used to it. just aim them as low as u can and drive.

The drivers side headlight seems fine, I angled it exactely according to the workshop manual dimensions, and the light doesnt seem to disperse. The passenger side light is the one that wont line up and disperses alot, I think its damaged or defective.

Do you find that it anoys other drivers? or are they okay with it?

The standard headlights were never designed to be fitted with HID Globes.

I think it is also illegal to have them fitted for the same reason. They give off too much glare to other drivers.

The headlight reflectors and lenses of OEM HID headlights (=optics) are engineered specifically for use with HID arc capsules. The design not only considers the source focal points, but the amount of lumen to be distributed. These factors are often overlooked when retrofitting is considered. OEM HID optics distributes the increased lumen output of this bulb farther ahead on the road, wider to both sides, without giving more directly in front of the subjected vehicle. This provides motorists with much WIDER AND DEEPER night time vision.

By contrast, halogen headlight optics do not spread the light to the degree of OEM HID. This is simply because a 55 watt halogen bulb (or even a 100 watter) cannot match the lumen output of HID. A lower number of lumens means less light to spread out. And a bigger portion of the total light output have to be placed where its mostly needed: straight ahead. Now, consider what what happens when someone inserts a 2800-3200 lumen HID arc capsule into a headlight designed to distribute only 1/3 of this amount of light. Suddenly, there's too much light in areas that does not need more light:

Too much light above cutoff line which would be above horizon on a flat road. This will glare oncoming traffic.

Too much light below cutoff line which would glare dangerously towards oncoming traffic on a hill.

Too much foreground lighting. The driver will get the intense foreground lighting back in his own eyes, making eyes less sensitive for down the road illumination beyond 70 meters down the road.

More info here !

This is what you need to do !

on the runX. toyota seems to use the same headlights for it's halogen and HID. they have the cap that covers the bulb. yes there are versions of headlights that don't come with the cap. needless to say those definitely do not have HID. the facelift runX i've seen with factory HID, they have the same part number headlight as none HID.

I worked it out

One of my headlighs adjust fine, the other does not since it wont dip down anymore (damn Toyota). So I have had to completely unsrew the left right adjustment, and turn the headlight by hand. Its only hanging by the up down adjustment at the momemnt so i'm gonna pull the headlight out on the weekend and see what wrong with it (damn Toyota).

Also note the workshop manual is wrong for the facelift atleast. You turn the screwdriver clockwose to dip the headlight down and anti-clockwise to dip it up, the workshop manual has it the other way around.

I havent used the high beams yet, but i'm guessing that i will have to buy another set of HIDs for the high beam, since they have dipped also.

bear in mind that hi-beam for your HID won't react that fast. it's also bad for the ballast to keep charging and discharging them for short periods, ie if u flash ppl. if u've been flashed by a car with factory bi-xenons, u'll notice their hi-beams don't do the initial flicker like u've just switched on your low beams. they flash like LEDs :unsure:

HID on normal headlights are illegal. Corolla STOCK headlights are not design for HID! no matter how LOW you dip the headlight it will still give out glares to oncoming traffic (you might even kill someone with that). I know that some Luxury cars have HID but no projectors. But they were designed for HID.

Do it right or dont do it at all. Retrofit your headlights and it will looks so much better. Trust me :)

anyway.....Take it easy & just dont get caught by the police (Hefty FINE! approx $200)

Edited by leasaunce

HID on normal headlights are illegal. Corolla STOCK headlights are not design for HID! no matter how LOW you dip the headlight it will still give out glares to oncoming traffic (you might even kill someone with that)

Do it right or dont do it at all. Retrofit your headlights and it will looks so much better. Trust me :)

anyway.....Take it easy & just dont get caught by the police (Hefty FINE! approx $200)

retrofit your headlights with the same part? :lol:

I'm all for projector retrofits for HID's. It looks neater and works better.

But

At the same time, I've seen some HID kits on Corolla's which seem to produce little or no glare and others which produce ridiculous amounts of glare in the same model headlight unit. This makes me think it's also dependant on whether you purchase a set of bargain basement units or a good quality set.

Also, the previous model GS Lexus had HID's without projectors.

In Victoria it is legal to have any headlight as long as it is white (i.e not blue or red) and long as it ajusted to to a headlight board. It is legal to have HID lights on a non HID car in Victoria. I have the VICRoads document at work, i'll post the link up on Monday.

Success, the passenger light had a discarded parking globe stuck underneath, and would not allow to dip further, now it a bit low, i'll adjust properly next week. I dont know how the parking globe was stuck there since i've never lost 1, Must have been there from the factory or my 10k service.

Success, the passenger light had a discarded parking globe stuck underneath, and would not allow to dip further, now it a bit low, i'll adjust properly next week. I dont know how the parking globe was stuck there since i've never lost 1, Must have been there from the factory or my 10k service.

well, we found a roll of tape in danthuyer's car when we installed the CAI.

mysteries from south africa :lol:

Drove around in the heavy rain tonight with my HID lights. They are fantastic. They absolutley light up all the reflectors, and line markings, and I can see the ground perfect.

I used the High Beams too and they dont seam to be afftected, they still light up and around as they did before, but arnt all that necessary.

The HID lights didnt seem to bother anybody and there is minimal dispersment of light. I have them aligned so I can just see under the rear window of a hatch or the top of the boot of a sedan.

Absolutely Fantastic, I wish I had bought a set earlier.

Drove around in the heavy rain tonight with my HID lights. They are fantastic. They absolutley light up all the reflectors, and line markings, and I can see the ground perfect.

I used the High Beams too and they dont seam to be afftected, they still light up and around as they did before, but arnt all that necessary.

The HID lights didnt seem to bother anybody and there is minimal dispersment of light. I have them aligned so I can just see under the rear window of a hatch or the top of the boot of a sedan.

Absolutely Fantastic, I wish I had bought a set earlier.

I installed HID into my head lights and fog lights, I have never been flashed by other

drivers and I see so much more of the road.

I tell ya, I'd never go back to halogen!

HID's ARE AWESOME!!!!

Kind regards..........

Whats the HID like in the foglight, can u drive it with it on all d time or only when nobody is around.

Also what sort of globe is d fog light, cuz i know in the pre-facelift its an H4 (low and high beam are H7).

Whats the HID like in the foglight, can u drive it with it on all d time or only when nobody is around.

Also what sort of globe is d fog light, cuz i know in the pre-facelift its an H4 (low and high beam are H7).

The fog light globes are H11, and yes you can use them all the time I do!

But be carefull to match the colour tempreture with your driving lights, otherwise you

may attract some suits!

Kind regards................

using fog lights during the day is illegal. so just be careful! my friend got caught with a $150 fined.

I only use them during the night and I'm lucky I didn't have to adjust them for other drivers,

they havn't bothered anyone. But from time to time I'll turn them off.

Thank you for the warning though, I appreciate it!

Kind regards.....................

Edited by BlAcK JeT