Accelerator stuck on full throttle!!!!!

Slurdog

and in good service fashion, they took my car for a test drive, an scraped the Sh#t out of my front spoiler (chunks!!). took it back straight after i noticed, and he said "well its very low". I went off. now they are repairing and re-painting the front end (hehehe i had heaps of scuffs prior :D freebie)

Yer they did that to mine as well... although not chunks.. just some small scratches underneath the front bumper..

Yet another reason im not taking it back to Cannon toyota

Is it an after market cruise control. I had that in the 1990 Camry and one reason I did not get a Corolla was the lack of factory cruise, it caused me no end of problems. Hence my earlier post of danger with cruise control.

Once it just kept accelerating....140-150....... had to cut the power. :o

Is it an after market cruise control. I had that in the 1990 Camry and one reason I did not get a Corolla was the lack of factory cruise, it caused me no end of problems. Hence my earlier post of danger with cruise control.

Yeah it is an aftermarket item, one they installed prior to delivery. I read your earlier post on the dangers of cruise, and disagreed...not any more!!

So pretty much what they told me about the cable being loose is most likely BS. In realilty this could happen again at any stage as long as i have this aftermarket crud in my car!!?? AAWWWW that licks balls :angry:

• 2 months later...

and in good service fashion, they took my car for a test drive, an scraped the Sh#t out of my front spoiler (chunks!!). took it back straight after i noticed, and he said "well its very low". I went off. now they are repairing and re-painting the front end (hehehe i had heaps of scuffs prior :D freebie)

Yer they did that to mine as well... although not chunks.. just some small scratches underneath the front bumper..

Yet another reason im not taking it back to Cannon toyota

Heyz u got ur rolla from Cannon tooz? So did i.... sorta mixed on their service...

i don't wanna go back but no choice...

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...pic=1792&st=100

eek u guys r freakin me out cause i got an after market cruise control installed by them tooz...i think its infra-red based tooz...

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

I'm goonnna die!!! :o

that happened to me in my old ke30 corolla. I just bashed the ***** out of the pedal and it would pop up again hahahahaha.

I shall tell them that next time I have a service. That AND the annoying left hand front rotor grinding. Grrrrrr :angry:

Glad you're with us man and not wrapped around a tree, that's the last thing any of us want happening to each other.

Yeah it is an aftermarket item, one they installed prior to delivery. I read your earlier post on the dangers of cruise, and disagreed...not any more!!

So pretty much what they told me about the cable being loose is most likely BS. In realilty this could happen again at any stage as long as i have this aftermarket crud in my car!!?? AAWWWW that licks balls :angry:

As I've said in a previous post, I and a number of people I know have aftermarket cruise control in their cars, one for over 10 years, without an issue ... I really think that if this was a wide spread problem with aftermarket cruise control in general, then we would have heard about it by now.

Having said that, whether it be factory or aftermarket, anything has the potential to fail, be it by poor design, a faulty part, poor installation or incorrect operation. Ask any Prius owner who's having their steering checked at the moment!

I'd be having a chat with the makers and/or installers of your cruise control and see what they say about it ... your dealer should have included the instructions and warranty booklet with your car's owners manual and service book.

And as others have said, its good that you weren't hurt or killed as a result of this incident. :)

• 5 years later...

Hey guys,

I recently experienced the same issue, except my Corolla is an automatic car so I had much more complications trying to get it to brake (NO, putting it in neutral did not stop my car!)

I took it to Toyota only to have them brush it aside as a floor mat issue and am unhappy that they've come back to give me this response along with their uncaring attitude! Please help me by liking my Facebook Page that I've created and support me to GET TOYOTA TO CARE!

There are many more people out there that may have this experience and it's not just the owners lives at risk, but others on the road at the time as well!

My page is: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beware-Toyota-Accelerator-sticking-AU/111033775667525

If you have experienced the same issue, I would appreciate you posting your story on my page. You can also read my story on this page that I've created.

Thanks & Yours sincerely,

Linh

Good work resurrecting an old thread that is related to a different situation. This thread was referring to the old cable throttle (refer to this post) whereas the latest issue that was reported was the electronic throttle.

.... which if you aren't aware:

NASA's Toyota Study Released by Dept. of Transportation

"NASA found no evidence that a malfunction in electronics caused large unintended accelerations," said Michael Kirsch, principal engineer and team lead of the study from the NASA Engineering and Safety Center (NESC) based at NASA's Langley Research Center in Hampton, Va.

Two mechanical safety defects were identified by NHTSA more than a year ago: "sticking" accelerator pedals and a design flaw that enabled accelerator pedals to become trapped by floor mats. These are the only known causes for the reported unintended acceleration incidents. Toyota recalled nearly 8 million vehicles in the United States for these two defects.

The issue mentioned above with the sticking accelerator pedal was only identified on American built Toyota's (the pedals were sourced from a local manufacturer 'CTS', read more here) and does not affect the Japanese sourced accelerator pedals (Denso) found in the Toyota's you buy in Australia.

As much as I want to feel empathy for your issue that you are having with your car, just because you get an issue that sounds so familiar as the ones in America, it doesn't immediately mean that you are in the same group as them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good work resurrecting an old thread that is related to a different situation. This thread was referring to the old cable throttle (refer to this post) whereas the latest issue that was reported was the electronic throttle.

.... which if you aren't aware:

NASA's Toyota Study Released by Dept. of Transportation

"NASA found no evidence that a malfunction in electronics caused large unintended accelerations," said Michael Kirsch, principal engineer and team lead of the study from the NASA Engineering and Safety Center (NESC) based at NASA's Langley Research Center in Hampton, Va.

Two mechanical safety defects were identified by NHTSA more than a year ago: "sticking" accelerator pedals and a design flaw that enabled accelerator pedals to become trapped by floor mats. These are the only known causes for the reported unintended acceleration incidents. Toyota recalled nearly 8 million vehicles in the United States for these two defects.

The issue mentioned above with the sticking accelerator pedal was only identified on American built Toyota's (the pedals were sourced from a local manufacturer 'CTS', read more here) and does not affect the Japanese sourced accelerator pedals (Denso) found in the Toyota's you buy in Australia.

As much as I want to feel empathy for your issue that you are having with your car, just because you get an issue that sounds so familiar as the ones in America, it doesn't immediately mean that you are in the same group as them.

My friend linked this to me because it was his friend with the accelerator issue - I had no clue it was a different issue...

Whilst the investigation above concluded the issues that were experienced in the US, I find it hard to understand how then it can happen to a newer car model. I'm quite adamant that it wasn't my floor mat. If I had known I'd have probably taken a picture as soon as I got out of the car for some sort of evidence, but I can't do anything now.

I'm not quite after any empathy, I just need a reasonable explanation from Toyota however they cannot give me one. They advised me that it was just my floor mat however they replaced my accelerator pedal with a new design one? I'm more concerned for any other people out there that may have the issue. I don't think it's happening to all cars but possibly a rare chance of it occurring to some proportion of them.

I'm not so much a guru on this one but still am quite puzzled...and feeling a bit suss.

Thanks for the NASA link, it was an interesting read...I surely hope there are no accelerator problems with other cars in Australia!

So you tried the transmission, brake, handbrake and ignition key and nothing worked?

I smell another Ford Explorer incident.

I put the car into neutral/park/reverse with handbrake up whilst going up a hill and it didn't slow the car down...kept accelerating if I don't hold my foot on the brakes? I drove through normally busy traffic lights until I figured out to turn off the car.

The steering wheel locked up and car skidded and I quickly hopped out. Definitely was not pretty, especially for a girl. If I had gotten into an accident, mostly people would have stereotyped me thought that I was some crazy "Asian lady" driver no doubt LOL

Anyway after 5 weeks I got the pedal replaced and got my car back yesterday. Was a nightmare dealing with Toyota Australia.

I put the car into neutral/park/reverse with handbrake up whilst going up a hill and it didn't slow the car down...kept accelerating if I don't hold my foot on the brakes? I drove through normally busy traffic lights until I figured out to turn off the car.

If you got the car on Neutral Gear ok, the engine would have been Reving, not accelerating........

If you got the car on Neutral Gear ok, the engine would have been Reving, not accelerating........

Yeah that's what everyone says and what I thought. Mechanically it makes sense..not sure why it didn't work at the time. I was going up a hill and still going at 60, accelerates if I release the brakes. *shrugs*

I know that testing has been done to show that the brakes can be used to safely stop the car at full throttle, repeatedly without enough brake fade to change the result.

Thinking of things an easy way, the car can go 100-0km/h in less time than it can 0-100km/h; meaning the car has more stopping capacity than accelerating capacity.

It is a surprise to me that the car wasn't safely stopped using the brake pedal. Remember also that the engine can be turned off without removing the key and locking the steering (although it may be without power steering).

As a result of proven driver misoperation cases, new models will be coming out with a failsafe to close the throttle if the accelerator and brake pedal are being pressed at the same time. The car will record how many times this has happened, so that the dealer has evidence to determine if this is a vehicle or driver issue.